Harbeth Speakers- Doing Something Right....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Jul 25, 2019.

1. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

With the SHL5 Plus, the driver integration certainly does seem better grilles on. Not surprising as that's how they're intended to perform. Sound also slightly smoother in the treble.

2. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Best way to remove the grills without risking damages?

bhazen likes this.
  3. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

Finger nails!

4. Helom

Helom Forum member

Low-power magnet

Denizen23 and Art K like this.
  5. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

This! :righton:

6. justanotherhifienthusiast

justanotherhifienthusiast Forum Resident

Skylan Manufacturing Ltd.
    email them and ask about their harbeth grille removal tool. they sell it.

Art K and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Harbeth makes a tool but I wound up making a duplicate by bending a thick gauge paper clip (thicker than the one in this link). You basically ease it in the groove near a corner of the grille frame and then gently twist so that the end is behind the frame and then pull out carefully.

However I then learned how to pry out using the fingertips of a cupped hand and simultaneously pushing the frame towards the center of the speaker and pulling outward, working gradually around the perimeter.

So, how does one take the grills off Harbeth speakers ? ....

8. avanti1960

I know what everyone says and believes about Harbeths and grille voicing etc. but my C7ES3s sounded terrible with the grilles on. Incidentally most US audio shows I have been to have removed the grilles on the Harbeths.

9. Helom

Helom Forum member

Is it a magnet? Magnets work like a charm IME since they have ferrous grill frames.

10. NoDad

NoDad Forum Resident

I second this. Always prefer the speakers with the grills on. Specially Harbeth as the speakers are developed with the grills on and Harbeth recommend leaving them in place.

11. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I did a quick A/B test when I bought them recently and preferred the grills off in my setup but I'll put them back on in a couple of weeks when everything settled and see what happens. I don't care that much about how they are developed. Most important is that the one listening to them enjoys the sound so be it grills on or off :)t

I'm really in love with my SHL5 Plus. It was a long time ago audio hardware created these music emotions for me. Thank you Harbeth.

12. justanotherhifienthusiast

justanotherhifienthusiast Forum Resident

Yes, the tool is essentially a strong magnet but in a unique shape. It's probably the best tool available and makes removing the grilles easy.

13. Helom

Helom Forum member

So does any number of magnets one can get at a hobby store.

14. avanti1960

I'll have to try this hen I get my 5's but it seemed that the C7ES3 grilles would have been too tight to remove with a magnet. Not 100% sure though, thanks for the tip....

15. Helom

Helom Forum member

I used a couple of rather high power mechanics' magnets that are used for picking up hardware in tough to reach places. But I would think some hobby magnets would work just as well.

16. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Harbeth grill removal can be a headache apparently. There's a thread at agon about a seller going thru problems due to a buyer claiming the unit's were shipped damaged, when it's cleary obvious he tried to remove the grills and damaged the units! The seller actually refunded tbe dude $200 bucks, I wouldn't have given him a penny!;)

TEA FOR ONE, SandAndGlass and kholuap like this.
  17. avanti1960

yes, proceed with caution. i caused a very small impression (barely noticeable) on the inside edge of the enclosure recess when I ham fisted the paper clip the first time. The wood is somewhat soft!

18. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Anyone seen if the grills can be bought in separate and if so the cost of such?

19. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I removed the grills (yes they’re a pain to do) as soon as they came out the box as I’m scared the cat will use them as a scratch post!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Better the grills than the drivers!!!

SandAndGlass, Mintsauce and bhazen like this.
  21. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I just bought a pair of Spendor A1 a couple weeks ago, which do not come with cloth grilles, just a metal guard over the tweeter. However I wanted traditional full size cloth grilles, mostly to keep dust away from the drivers. I was able to order a pair but they were a bit pricey in my eyes at $140.

22. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I had Tannoy Arden’s here for a while, she could nearly get in the bass ports on them!

IanL likes this.
  23. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Those were my thoughts exactly.

24. kholuap

kholuap Active Member

The problem is that cats look for woven fabrics to sharpen their nails. And depending on where in the grille the cat sticks its nail, the driver will be hit too! Certainly grille is a decoy to cats and the disaster is only a matter of time. For those who own cats and want to keep the grilles on, the ideal is - when not in use, obviously - to cover the speakers with a special cover made of cat-proof material!

Mintsauce likes this.
  25. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

....or a shock collar!!!;)