Harbeth Speakers- Doing Something Right....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

Thanks!

2. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Ohh that’s a lot more than here in Europe. The standard version. Is around 4000 here.

3. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

It’s $4800 CAD in Canada. That’s about $3600 USD. Quite a lot less than the US list.

4. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Hm pricing seems to be all over the place. Are all including VAT? My listed price is.

5. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

Add 13% for sales taxes in Ontario.

6. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Ok, so same as here then.

7. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

The Skylan stands are plastic, so I doubt a carpenter would make them. They are meant to be filled with something to add mass.

8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I thought about making some- you can purchase black plastic square tube relatively cheaply. There is no rocket science about them.

9. avanti1960

we have to add ~ 10% state sales tax but the dealers will give you a minimum of 10% discount, more if you are persuasive.

10. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I was looking at the Skylan website for stands for my new Spendor A1, and the 27 inch two post stands are $325. Doesn't seem like too outrageous of a price to me if they are well built, and give improved sound quality over the cheap 26 inch Sanus steel stands I currently use.

Don Parkhurst likes this.
  11. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I had Skylan stands and they were superb. A small thing but I also liked the edges of the stands being rounded off - if you bang your toe on them you will survive unlike some others. Noel is a terrific guy and if you tell him which Harbeth speakers you have he can custom make the stands to perfectly fit your model of speaker.

Don Parkhurst, Joe Spivey and bruce2 like this.
  12. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I am probably in the left field (most likely) on this one and what was presented to me the last time I auditioned the Harbeth were not Skylan supports.

The design looked pretty much the same. I remember inspecting them and having a discussion with the salesman about the woodwork involved vs the price asked for the stands.

13. avanti1960

I have owned Skylan in the past for both my LS50s and Harbeth C7ES3 and they served me well.
    Unfortunately taking advantage of the US / Canadian dollar exchange rate is a thing of the past and instead of $425 US I would be looking at $560 for stands for the SHL5's. I refuse to pay $560 for plastic box tube, threaded rod, T-nuts and MDF. Also I wanted to go to a more open frame stand this time.
    Those prices reflect the actual exchange rate as of today - $1 CAD = $.76 US.

basie-fan likes this.
  14. Richard Austen

I am a bit confused - you live in Chicago or are Canadian - Skylan prices seem to be in USD so $560 would be $730 or so Canadian.

Regardless - the price is pretty high for a stand. The material can be debatable. The best plastics are very good indeed - Torlon and Vespel for example. OEM no name brand stands can be your best bet - here in HK there are a lot of small audio shops that sell high quality stands for pretty cheap. Metal fillable - $100.

15. avanti1960

I am in the US. In the past I ordered direct. Prices listed on the site were in $CAD. So if the price was $560 it converted to $425 US at checkout. Now the prices are listed as $US so you would not get the exchange discount.

basie-fan and Richard Austen like this.
  16. justanotherhifienthusiast

justanotherhifienthusiast Forum Resident

It's not cheap plastic, and the actual pieces you do get of are very high quality. It comes with 4 different kinds of floor mounters. The amount of MDF used is miniscule, the bases are almost all polymer. And you're supporting Canadian workers and Canadian economy.

Price is higher but the package you get is by no means cheap. Order yourself and see, they have a return policy if you aren't satisfied. The way it is shipped makes it exceedingly simple to box back up and send back.

The anecdote by Richard Austen above me is typical from someone who lives and works overseas. Labour and rent is much more expensive here then China.

Imgur

Don Parkhurst likes this.
  17. avanti1960

Agreed, I have owned two sets of them in the past. Very high quality. But because of the price increase and the idea to try a more open stand design to give more breathing room for the speakers I have gone in a different direction.

18. justanotherhifienthusiast

justanotherhifienthusiast Forum Resident

That's completely fair. They did change the prices strictly to USD quite a while ago. Over 2 years ago now. What kind of stands do you prefer for your Harbeths?

19. Richard Austen

Well that's the thing - if I am in Canada I would buy Skylan at a bit more money - here in Hong Kong of course I am supporting the little guy selling his stands here. Everyone's gotta eat including the Chinese and I can tell you it is FAR worse to be poor in China than poor in Canada.

A mistake most people make is comparing wages and not cost of living. So yes a Chinese person's wage may be very low compared to Canada but so is their cost of living. The wage is 1/8th but so is the rent, food, and clothes. a Can of Coke in Manila is $.35 cents Canadian at 7/11 - in Canada probably $1.25 at a 7/11 so you sort of have to look at everything.

20. avanti1960

I made a set DIY based on these-
    I'll post some pics if I ever get the speakers!
    [​IMG]

21. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Why didn’t the SHL5 Plus cross my path through life earlier? I’m stunned. So natural and balanced and never any listening fatigue. Amazing speakers both in terms of acoustics and hardware.

22. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

On the topic of stands, I'm using the new Wharfedale Linton stands with my SHL5+ speakers. Turn the stand 90 degrees and its the perfect fit for the speaker. The stands are very reasonably priced compared to other brands that cash in on the Harbeth name and the build quality is excellent.

[​IMG]

23. avanti1960

yeah those do look nice and are reasonable.
    are the spikes adjustable?
    the dimensions seem to say that if you rotate 90-degrees they will be wider than the SHL5s. is there a way to use them without rotating the stands but possibly remove the logo or rotate the wood base?

24. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

@Robert C your Harbs must lovely on those stands- very pretty those stands are.:righton:

25. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I'm not sure whether the spikes are adjustable but I should think they are.
    Using them front on (with the W logo at the front) has the speaker too wide for the stand. Here's a picture of how they look with the stands turned. You can see the W logo on the left side of the left stand if you zoom in!

[​IMG]