Harbeth Speakers- Doing Something Right....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Jul 25, 2019.

1. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Is this price for one pair or one pcs? What's the height from floor to top of the rubber feets where the speaker sits?

Wharfedale Linton Stands

2. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

That's for two stands.

The product dimensions are:
    Height: 437mm 17.2”
    Width: 300mm 11.81”
    Depth: 330mm 12.99”

3. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Nice. Are they the stands you see with vinyl storage in?

4. antnee

antnee Well-Known Member

Very nice....

5. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Yep, you can fit records in them.

Shiver and Andy Saunders like this.
  6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

the 5's are arriving at dealer sometime around end of next week. i am a little bit excited.....

Bubbamike, bhazen, Doctorwu and 11 others like this.
  7. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

How
    How did you purchase the stands w/o the speakers? I've not seen them for sale separately.

8. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

They are available separately.

9. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Thanks, good to know.

10. Baaronj

Baaronj Forum Resident

Having owned Harbeth, Spendor and Stirling speakers within in the past 3-4 years, I can confirm their cabinetry appears nearly identical.

As a side note, I loved the Stirling ls3/5a-ish speaker.

11. Helom

Helom Forum member

I wouldn't go as far as saying "nearly identical." There are definite similarities but having also owned one from each of these brands, it seems to me that Spendor basically builds them to whatever the customer specifies. The Stirlings have Birch plywood cabs while Habeth and Spendor use MDF. The veneer lacquer and finish also differs between each brand.

I do find it interesting that of the three, the Spendors have the neatest veneer jobs with the best book-matching, almost as though they reserve their best work for themselves. The Spendor cabs are finished to absolute perfection, without the slightest lacquer blemish or seam gap, while the others have more of a hand-made feel.

bruce2 likes this.
  12. Baaronj

Baaronj Forum Resident

Good point. I shoulda said they are very similar, to the extent that I had previously wondered if the cabinetry for the three originated from the same source.

13. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I really liked the Skylan stands the last time I had Harbeths but this time I compared them to a pair of Target MR stands and the Targets won handily. Highly recommended.

bhazen and molinari like this.
  14. avanti1960

i thought the harbeths were baltic birch plywood.
    but i do agree about the finish- my former harbeth C7s had some blemishes and my former spendors were perfect.

15. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Nope, Harbeth use MDF panels, not plywood.

avanti1960 likes this.
  16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

As mentioned above, the Stirling use birch plywood while the Harbeth use MDF.
    Of course, both follow the “lossy” thin wall cabinet design philosophy developed by BBC so it makes sense that their cabinets appear very similar.

17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

For anyone interested in Beethoven's piano music, I've been listening to one of Igor Levit's recordings at a good clip on the Super HL5s and it was a great experience, I've written more here: Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

This should be up on Spotify and Qobuz. Sony did a nice job with these recordings.

Robert C likes this.
  18. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Curious what you guys think about Harbeth's and rock music.

This week I demoed a pair of P3ESR's and was pretty much blown away by their performance with sparse music. Small scale jazz sounded awesome. Such clarity and purity of sound, utterly rich tone - just beautiful! I can see why Harbeth has such a fanbase. It's pretty much what I was expecting going in, but to actually hear it was impressive.

I thought they kind of struggled with rock though (Dire Straits too, pretty mild as far as rock goes) - the sound was a little muddy and soft, and it wasn't the kind of thing I thought a sub would be able to fix.

I'm probably going to get replies both ways...I've read online discussions about this very topic and it seems some folks think Harbeth speakers can rock, while others don't. Even Shaw himself seems to say his speakers aren't rock speakers. Doesn't hurt to ask though, to see what fellow SH posters think.

19. avanti1960

I have heard the P3s do rock fairly well but it required a very high quality, high power amplifier to keep a grip on them.
    I have heard the 30.1s and 30.2s in a similar but better way.
    The C7ES3s have no problem rocking and the SHL5+ were demoed by Alan Shaw at the European high end show with some Aerosmith demo music.

basie-fan and Dream On like this.
  20. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Powerful Solid state is almost required to make harbeth glow.

21. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

How sturdy are those stands? I have had the top of the line Target and Skylan and been very happy with those. They outperformed all other stands that I had compared them to. They are indeed expensive, but they are bulky, so shipping is pricey and I don't think that they are selling in the tens of thousands per month. So, lower production means higher cost.

That being said, I can see why Tony would want to try making one of his own set of stands. He has owned some good stands in the past, so probably has a good idea of what he wants from the new set and how to get there in the end. These Wharfdale stands look promising.

When people mention Wharfdale, I always think back to seeing the giant Wharfdales in the local hifi store in Vancouver, back in the very late 70s or early 80s. Those were crazy cool to this teenager : )

Echoes Myron and avanti1960 like this.
  22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Harbeth sound great with rock, they really shine though with small scale classical and jazz IMO.

23. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Yes, it could have been the amp. They used Primaluna tube amps. I think I'd like to continue running tubes, but if I want Harbeth's I may need to go higher powered SS. I've been thinking a Unison Research Unico Nuovo integrated if I go with Harbeth's. I think that would likely make a nice match. 95 watt hybrid amp. Or stick with tubes and different speakers.

I may need to go back and listen to the C7's and P3's, with a good SS amp, just to be sure.

basie-fan likes this.
  24. avanti1960

my 100wpc rogue cronus mag II did an excellent job with my C7ES3s. rock sounded spectacular. tom petty torpedos, bowie aladdin sane, the smiths, spoon, are some that come to mind that sounded exceptionally fantastic.

Dream On and Echoes Myron like this.
  25. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Have you compared them with a +100w solid state amp? I recommend it because you might be far away from their full potential. I was blown away by the difference between tubes and ss with my SHL5 Plus.

Dream On likes this.