Hard To Find 4K UHD Movie Blu-Rays *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Baker, Oct 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just got my first 4K television( better late than never). I am slowly beginning a library of 4k movies. Of course the one movie I want above all others is "Lawrence of Arabia" and I see there is only one way to get it. By purchasing a set of 4K movies I don't really want. Going price now since it is OOP is $944.99 on the "bay". Not willing to go that route again. I fell for that 15 years ago with Bluray purchases ( Criterion). I thought it might be fun and helpful to see what is getting hard to find / OOP, or limited releases. Steelbooks are included, but I view them as a collector's item, so the rarity is debatable.

So I will start off:

Lawrence of Arabia OOP ( Columbia Collection #1 )
    Forrest Gump OOP

Surprised these 2 films are HTF, two of the best movies ever. My instinct is telling me to pre-order "Hard Day's Night" seems a likely candidate for this listing.

longdist01 likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

stereoptic and Spitfire like this.
  3. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Depending on the 4K television you purchased, upscaled Blu-ray discs and look as good or even better than their UHD counterpart. Case in point, over at the AVS Forum site, many swear that the new Sony OLED 2021 line of televisions actually make the 1080p Blu-rays look better than the same UHD titles, which can look very digital in nature. Personally, I wouldn't chase down expensive OOP UHD titles if the Blu-ray can be had for a reasonable price. YMMV.

Heavy Music likes this.
  4. Steve Baker

Never mind........................

5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I'm hopeful that LoA will be available soon on 4K. The studio just needs to repackage it preferably with more tasteful artwork and distribute it. But there are dozens of other titles that also need the 4K treatment.

EVOLVIST and longdist01 like this.
  6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

There is no way LoA won't get its own seperate release in the future.

In fact pretty much all OOP titles get reissued eventually. Why people spend silly money is beyond me.

Just be patient.

longdist01 likes this.
  7. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Agreed about LoA, but with streaming on the rise and physical media on the decline there is no chance that all OOP titles will be reissued. I'm snatching up anything on 4K that rewards repeat viewing and LoA most definitely meets that criterion--thought for sure we'd see it by the holidays but now it doesn't seem so.

PH416156 likes this.
  8. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

LOA is on the release list at Digital Bits, most others from the set have already had individual release - I was hoping for a Christmas release I guess there might still be time.
    Forrest Gump is hard to find in UK but I sourced one from a seller on Amazon US.

I'm not sure anything on my wish list is currently hard to find, as I've purchased near enough on release when the ones I wanted came out, but it might be fun to see what I have now that might not be widely available anymore. I guess a couple of box sets maybe like steelbook Lord Of The Rings.

audiomixer likes this.
  9. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Lawrence of Arabia 4K OOP??? It should be in print forever.

I can't comment on the 4K disc, but the 4k-sourced 1080p Blu ray is probably the most beautiful looking video in my collection.

Matt Richardson and audiomixer like this.
  10. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

11. Some of this is related to the pandemic and issues with pressing them locally. For example “The Prestige” 4K was OOP for a while and then came back.

12. Steve Baker

PH416156 likes this.
  13. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Available again in 4K as a "limited edition" from 06-07-2022

https://www.amazon.com/Lawrence-Arabia-Anniversary-Limited-Steelbook/dp/B09TLBJNPT

•4-disc set, with the 4K Dolby Vision feature split across two discs, plus feature Blu-ray and VAM disc

•Also includes Dolby Atmos audio for maximum immersive experience

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
    GregM, davidpoole, SamS and 2 others like this.
  14. Steve Baker

GregM and PH416156 like this.
  15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

You're very welcome. I'm glad I was able to help. :)

16. Steve Baker

Strange Amazon will not process the pre-order. I will pre-order until they do!

17. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

No problem here, and I'm in europe.

What about contacting Amazon's customer service and ask them to create a pre-order for you? Good luck

18. Steve Baker

Ok I tried to order via Amazon.uk.com, they don't show the item at all. Amazon.com shows it with the June release date, but when I place the order I'm told "item out of stock". I'm not worried, I'll keep at it until I get a copy. Figure I got 4 months.

19. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

D'oh. I tried placing another preorder that I'll cancel and, again, no problems.

As I said, better contacting Amazon's customer service, telling them the ASIN ‎ B09TLBJNPT and ask them to do the preorder for you. It can be done via chat.
    Good luck :)

20. Yeah, YMMV for sure, but I'm just not buying that. As an owner of a LG 77C1 (pro calibrated for SDR and HDR), where I'm sitting about 6.5/7 ft away from the TV, I've noticed zero digital artifacts. I'm spinning my discs through a Panasonic UB820 player.

The only reason I felt the need to chime in is because I'm always comparing the UHD to the BD.

Now, it's true that often well mastered BDs upscale pretty close to 4K quality. On the flip, it's also true that if the BD has flaws, they are more apparent when upscaling to 4K.

I've yet to find a BD that gives a UHD a serious challenge, because we also have to factor in SDR vs. HDR.

I'm thrilled that my 4K rig has given new life to almost all of my BDs. It's a win-win situation, but ultimately once my eyes got used to HDR it's difficult to go back to cold cuts with all of this steak in front of me.

Can you cite some examples from the other forum?

I'll give a few quick examples: Apollo 13 (1995) is notorious for not being a big upgrade from the BD to UHD. I found this to be true. But the HDR solidifies it. When lights in the film got very bright, the image became washed out. Not so with the UHD.

A Clockwork Orange (1971), after watching the UHD, the BD looked atrocious. I mean, really bad, while the UHD is such a huge step up. And they come from the same master!

The opposite would be The Shining (1980) where the BD is a real competitor to the UHD, but since HDR is roughly half the draw, no the BD won't get played again.

Wes H, PH416156 and JimW like this.
  21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Possession 4K UHD disc is OOP and very expensive.

22. Suspiria (2018) 4K UHD.

23. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

The US 4k release of Goodfellas is currently OOP and very pricey on the reseller's market.

Oatsdad likes this.
  24. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
  25. Steve Baker

Thanks my friend! I got it pre-ordered. Had to go through Customer Service. Appreciate the heads up and the support.

PH416156 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.