Hard To Find 4K UHD Movie Blu-Rays *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Baker, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just got my first 4K television( better late than never). I am slowly beginning a library of 4k movies. Of course the one movie I want above all others is "Lawrence of Arabia" and I see there is only one way to get it. By purchasing a set of 4K movies I don't really want. Going price now since it is OOP is $944.99 on the "bay". Not willing to go that route again. I fell for that 15 years ago with Bluray purchases ( Criterion). I thought it might be fun and helpful to see what is getting hard to find / OOP, or limited releases. Steelbooks are included, but I view them as a collector's item, so the rarity is debatable.

So I will start off:

Lawrence of Arabia OOP ( Columbia Collection #1 )
    Forrest Gump OOP

Surprised these 2 films are HTF, two of the best movies ever. My instinct is telling me to pre-order "Hard Day's Night" seems a likely candidate for this listing.

longdist01 likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits and Abbie: Best Dogs Ever

stereoptic and Spitfire like this.
  3. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Depending on the 4K television you purchased, upscaled Blu-ray discs and look as good or even better than their UHD counterpart. Case in point, over at the AVS Forum site, many swear that the new Sony OLED 2021 line of televisions actually make the 1080p Blu-rays look better than the same UHD titles, which can look very digital in nature. Personally, I wouldn't chase down expensive OOP UHD titles if the Blu-ray can be had for a reasonable price. YMMV.

Heavy Music likes this.
  4. Steve Baker

Never mind........................

5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I'm hopeful that LoA will be available soon on 4K. The studio just needs to repackage it preferably with more tasteful artwork and distribute it. But there are dozens of other titles that also need the 4K treatment.

longdist01 likes this.
  6. Jim B.

Jim B. Forum Resident

There is no way LoA won't get its own seperate release in the future.

In fact pretty much all OOP titles get reissued eventually. Why people spend silly money is beyond me.

Just be patient.

longdist01 likes this.
  7. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Agreed about LoA, but with streaming on the rise and physical media on the decline there is no chance that all OOP titles will be reissued. I'm snatching up anything on 4K that rewards repeat viewing and LoA most definitely meets that criterion--thought for sure we'd see it by the holidays but now it doesn't seem so.

PH416156 likes this.
  8. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

LOA is on the release list at Digital Bits, most others from the set have already had individual release - I was hoping for a Christmas release I guess there might still be time.
    Forrest Gump is hard to find in UK but I sourced one from a seller on Amazon US.

I'm not sure anything on my wish list is currently hard to find, as I've purchased near enough on release when the ones I wanted came out, but it might be fun to see what I have now that might not be widely available anymore. I guess a couple of box sets maybe like steelbook Lord Of The Rings.

audiomixer likes this.
  9. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Lawrence of Arabia 4K OOP??? It should be in print forever.

I can't comment on the 4K disc, but the 4k-sourced 1080p Blu ray is probably the most beautiful looking video in my collection.

audiomixer likes this.
  10. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

11. Some of this is related to the pandemic and issues with pressing them locally. For example “The Prestige” 4K was OOP for a while and then came back.

12. Steve Baker

PH416156 likes this.