Harman Kardon T20 Turntable Issue

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Evergreen Cory, Oct 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evergreen Cory

Evergreen Cory New Member Thread Starter

Hello. I have a Harman Kardon T20 turntable that I bought used four years ago. It was refurbished. Out of nowhere it is having an issue.

When I move the tonearm over the record it doesn't start moving the platter until I move it about an inch towards the middle. When it gets to the end of the record the platter doesn't stop spinning and the tonearm just stays in place and does not move back to its original resting position. Our turntable is stationary so I don't know what might have happened but it feels like it just needs a small adjustment.

I have put a 20 second video up on youtube showing what it is doing. Here is the link:

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I reached out to Harman International and they recommended an official repair shop three hours away.

Thank you.
    Cory

2. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Hey Cory,

Sorry you are having issues.

I'm just gonna give this question a bump.....I am essentially a tech idiot but there are very experienced people on this Forum who I'm sure have an idea or two.

I trust some will enter into the conversation.

Good luck.

Tim 2 likes this.
  3. Evergreen Cory

Just following up to see if anyone out there had any suggestions. Thanks so much.
    Cory

4. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I am not familiar with H-K turntables. Your video showed the problem well. It would be a minor screw adjustment, and/or a cam has slipped.
    Fortunately the service manual for that model is available for free download on this page:
    Elektrotanya for electronics experts
    (That is a good safe site)
    Page 3 of the manual (no page numbers are shown) shows two possible adjustments, for the "Auto-Return Adjustment" and "Microswitch Adjustment". Do those adjustments in that order in the manual. H-K had a special cardboard test disc to help make those adjustments, but you can eyeball the adjustments and change them until it works correctly again (or, there is enough info shown to re-create the test disc). Do not touch any screw on the arm itself. These adjustments are inside the base under the arm.

5. G E

G E Senior Member

Check the vinyl engine website. They have lots of service docs and people in the know.

6. Evergreen Cory

JohnO,

Thanks for your help on that. I looked at the manual and it might be above my head. Here is a quick video with a question about the next step:

BTW we just moved from Washington DC. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
    Cory

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.