Harmonia Mundi problem: J.S. Bach Solo & Double Violin Concertos

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Dec 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

J. S. Bach - Solo & Double Violin Concertos - Academy of Ancient Music - HMU 807155

I dropped by Daisy Mart (a convenience store) tonight in the snow and much to my surprise, the brand new stereo store that opened up within walking distance of me (in the summer time, anyway... ;) ) was open on a Sunday night!

Browsing through very quickly, they sell Tannoy speakers and a few other items. I think I'll be revisiting.... soon! ;)

I did pick up my very first Harmonia Mundi SACD (listed above). I love what I have of their CDs and Lps. Well recorded stuff.

Warmed up the tubes and did a critical listening test.

Much to my surprise, there is a low level rumble / hum through out most (if not all) of the SACD. :eek: Very apparent between the tracks. This sounds like... rumble from a turntable?!? Or could it be something else? Something to do with the tape? It just can't be sourced from vinyl, can it?

Does anyone have this? Does anyone else have H M SACDs? Is it a common problem? :help:

2. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Gary,

I have lots of HM discs and some of the more recent ones are SACD hybrids. I don't have that specific disc and my Arcam deck is not SACD but, I've never noticed any problem with the redbook layers on any of mine.

Cheers,
    Chris

3. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Forum Resident

I have in my collection and have reviewed HM SA-CDs, but haven't heard the disc in question. On the whole, HM discs are very good, and some are outstanding. They also distribute Channel Clasics, a Dutch label with a catalog comprised of reference quality titles.

4. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Felix,

Here in Canada (where Gary and I are located), HM is distributed through SRI. They have an amazing selection of labels in their catalogue - HM, Channel, Hyperion, ASV, Bis, Testament, emprientes DIGITALes, Ambiances Magnetiques, Atma, Naive, Opus 111, Orange Mountain, Cantaloupe, Dorian, Delos etc... I think that we are lucky to have SRI up here!

Cheers,
    Chris

5. Gary

Chris, what does "SRI" stand for? I can order specific titles if I can give my local store all the details.

Thanks! :)

Incidentally, I might just e-mail H M about this....

6. Gary

7. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Yep, that's the place. I've been receiving material from them for airplay on my radio programme for over 10 years. Great company! :righton:

Cheers,
    Chris

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Gary, I have maybe three or four HM (actually hm) SACDs. The two I do remember are by the Anonymous 4 and they are just divine. I don't have the disc you have.

9. Gary

My problem has been resolved by SRI Canada (a gentleman named Greg). Here is what he said after he also listened to a copy:

Greg exchanged the SACD for a HM Vivaldi: Concertos for the Emperor and a Channel Classics Rachmaninov: Symp. No 2. Along with two SACD samplers. :cool:

Great customer service from SRI Canada. And you'll be able to order direct in the new year! :cool:

10. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Great service - for one SACD you got two SACDs and two SACD samplers? Cool.

11. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Gary,

FYI - Greg is not a customer relations guy. He's the owner of the company!

Cheers,
    Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.