Harold Lloyd - TCM "Star of the Month"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guy incognito, Apr 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member Thread Starter

I actually had meant to post this a couple of days ago but forgot to. Last night they showed The Freshman, For Heaven's Sake, The Kid Brother, and probably my favorite Lloyd film, Speedy. Great, great stuff.

Link

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I watched some last night. Nice new prints. Beautiful looking!

He was a nice guy I hear and I love to watch his stunts!

Read a book by Kevin Brownlow called "The Parade's Gone By" if you want to find out more about Silent Films. Published in 1968 when interest in the old films was nil. It's the best book ever written about them, by the best and most wonderful champion of the silent film. Kevin Brownlow is a restoration hero of mine!

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I'm sorry I missed them:( . Well, the DVD's will have to come, and hopefully TCM will rebroadcast some.

I have a Lloyd book on 3-D photography; apparently, long after he went out of vogue in Hollywood, he became an ace photographer and did much 3-D work, mostly for his own amusement.

Brownlow is a great writer: I have his David Lean biography, which is an incredible read. I've written down that title, Steve, something for my lazy library to track down.

ED:cool:

4. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

What is it going to take to get these released on DVD? I have never seen any of these movies but I would love to rent/buy them. It's crazy that they are not on DVD.

5. guy incognito

TCM's schedule for the rest of the Lloyd films being shown this month can be found here.

Thanks for the book recommendation, Mr. H. I'll have to try and dig up a copy somewhere.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Man I wish I had an HD recorder and cable...Heck, I'd be happy and TRILLED to have these on VHS...I really love hs stuff! Absolutely incredible!

7. Ere

Ere Senior Member

My Mom told me that she got to meet him around 1956 at a retrospective of some of his films in LA and that he was as charming as could be, also very handsome in person.

His granddaughter Suzanne Lloyd edited a book of his stereo still photography, [​IMG] 3-D Hollywood, filled with his shots of Hollywood and other celebs. It also includes another one of Marilyn in a negligee about to put a record on a little portable player ...:winkgrin: I'll scan it and post if I can dig it out...

Ere

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

One of the "Three Greats" of silent film comedy(the others being, of course, Chaplin and Keaton). Some of his short films are among the finest of the 1920's. Brilliant, inventive, and the only silent comedian "normal guy", he truly was one of the greatest comedians of his time.

9. guy incognito

The Lloyd showcase continues tonight with several of his talkie titles. They just showed The Milky Way, probably his best sound film, and now they're starting Welcome Danger, his first-ever talkie. Tonight is the first time this title is being shown to the public since its initial theatrical release in 1929! :eek:

Lloyd's sound films don't nearly approach the level of his silents, but give TCM credit for insuring that no facet of his career goes unexplored this month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.