Harry Nilsson promo on WB?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Brian Cruz, Feb 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had my eye on this. It's out of my measley price range. It's a private auction, so I don't know if any other forum members are on this, but it really looks cool:

Check it out

Anybody know anything more about this, other than the description?

2. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I've seen copies at Amoeba priced at $19.95, I believe. I don't own it so I cannot comment on the sound quality or song selection.

Edit:

I should have been more specific. A couple of different times I have seen used copies of this at the Amoeba store in San Francisco. It isn't part of their "normal" stock because it's a promo, but the thing cannot be as rare as the person running the Ebay auction seems to think it is. Truly rare items don't show up in the used bins that frequently.

3. Brian Cruz

Ameoba? Is that a west coast chain?

4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Yes...It's the Costco of record stores...AMAZING!!! :edthumbs:

5. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Sort of a chain. They started out with a store in Berkeley. That store is now double its original size. They opened a store in San Francisco in an old bowling alley (to give you an idea of the size of the place) in the mid/late 1990's. I'm not sure how many other stores they have, but I know there is at least one in Southern California, too. Amoeba sells a lot of used cd's and vinyl and also generally has decent prices on new product.

6. Brian Cruz

Ah. Sounds heavenly. You may want to go back and buy a few of those and sell them on ebay. This one went for $103.50. :eek:

7. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

Yes Indeed ! There is one located on Sunset Blvd in L.A. . A great store that I can spend hours in . When I am in the area I almost always try to make a stop there.

8. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Amoeba, the best record store I've found in California. A collector's paradise.I always find something I never KNEW existed there!!!!

9. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Well, I did go back to Amoeba and picked up the two copies of this they had. One is currently up on Ebay and has yet to receive any bids with 2 1/2 days left on my auction. Hopefully I'll at least be able to sell it at my cost.

I'm keeping the other copy because I like it. :righton:

10. Brian Cruz

What are the titles and what's the packaging like? The sound? It took awhile for anyone to bite on the last one. The bids started at $8.50 and went up drastically the last few hours. Good luck BTW.

11. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

My Ebay auction contains a little description of the liner notes/packaging and my impression of the sound. I am actually surprised by how good this thing sounds and am happy to have a copy for myself.

Here is the track listing:

1. 1941
    2. Cuddly Toy
    3. Ten Little Indians
    4. Without Her
    5. One
    6. Mr. Richland's Favorite Song
    7. Don't Leave Me
    8. Daddy's Song
    9. Together
    10. Good Old Desk
    11. The Wailing Of The Willow
    12. I Will Take You There
    13. Rainmaker
    14. The Puppy Song
    15. Open Your Window
    16. Mournin' Glory Story
    17. I Guess The Lord Must Be In New York City
    18. Maybe
    19. Waiting
    20. Down To The Valley
    21. Me And My Arrow
    22. Think About Your Troubles
    23. Life Line
    24. Best Friend
    25. some unlisted track -- a 30 second segment of Harry speaking to himself about recording a 30 second track to balance the length of two lp sides

12. Brian Cruz

That looks awesome. Thanks for sharing.

13. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

That's from Aerial Pandemonium Ballet.

14. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

Jeff, after reading your post, I knew this was something I had to have so I went to eBay to check out your auction. I did a quick Nilsson search and found a copy of Life Line and purchased it using the "buy it now" option for $15.50. According to the description, it is "never opened." Since this is a 'promo only' disc, I am not sure what to make of that. It wasn't until after the fact that I discovered it was not your auction. Somewhat amazingly, there was more than one of these on eBay at the same time. Sorry, guy. But, I sure am excited about getting a copy. I have never found the complete "Best Friend" available on CD before; just bad sounding chopped up things or alternate versions. I still kick myself for not hanging on to the original 45. I kick myself even MORE for not keeping Scatalogue! :cry:

Gary

15. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Wow. I guess I better lower my price which I based on last week's auction closing for over $100!

16. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

Either that, or I FINALLY caught a deal on eBay! :winkgrin: Seriously though, isn't there a way to research the selling price of an item over a period of time? I am not so sure I'd lower my price. If no one bids, can't you simply re-list again at a lower starting price? Perhaps the $100+ auction was an anomaly, or maybe my seller didn't know what he had on his hands. He appears to be a power seller though, whatever the heck that means...

Gary

17. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Well, I notice that the same seller that sold yours listed one the week before, starting at 13.50, that got no bids. I don't see any other auctions listed, either active or completed, for this item apart from that seller's, mine, and the one that went for $103.50.

18. Brian Cruz

Hm. Maybe it was the wording of the description, or it was just a freak auction happening that had everyone bidding in a frenzy?

19. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

But why Warner Brothers?

20. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

It's actually a promo piece tied to Harry's songwriting and was issued by Warner/Chappell Music, the publisher.

21. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I saw one for Stevie Wonder through Jobette. Is that worth something?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.