Has Amazon stopped allowing the 30second sampling of digital music?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TimM, Jul 26, 2020.

1. YesGenesisCamel

YesGenesisCamel Well-Known Member

I'm convinced it's a (stupid) way to get you to sign up to their subscription for music.

It's certainly causing me to look elsewhere for music purchases. Amazon was convenient - you could listen to samples, keep an online basket open with potential mp3 purchases (mine was full, now it's lost) - without those, Amazon's advantage for me has disappeared.

Shame on you, Amazon!

2. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Exactly why I avoided buying The Stray Cats "40" CD. There were some reviews stating they got a CD-R. For one dollar more I bought it on vinyl instead.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  3. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Not a member of Unlimited and never will be (but I do have Prime). I HATE the phrase "hand-curated songs". I do a fine job myself of picking what I like and what I want to listen to. I don't need Amazon's or anyone else's help.

Ok, so sound samples may return but what about buying individual tracks?
    Edit: I just checked on my phone and I am still able to buy individual tracks. Comes in handy when I want just one song from a one hit wonder when the rest of the album is a stinker.

TimM likes this.
  4. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Try iTunes, you can sample and you can buy individual tracks it varies but full albums about 16.99 each track 1.69. Unless you buy a single track if available as CD or vinyl for me there is no comparison sound wise but sometimes you have to use services of the kind.

5. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Another change I’ve noticed is that I can’t put an MP3 album in my Wish List any more.

So, no more sampling – although someone mentioned that may be temporary – and no MP3 albums or songs can be placed on a Wish List, which also might be temporary. In the meantime, though, it sucks.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

30 second sampling has yet to be reinstated as of a moment ago...

TimM likes this.
  7. Uglyversal

Me being an Amazon customer has to be reinstated as from 6 months or so ago.

Michael likes this.
  8. Michael

that went over my head...whew!

9. Uglyversal

Lol, sorry I couldn't help it.

Michael likes this.
  10. Tim Crowley

Tim Crowley Forum Resident

I gave up on Amazon----They're not the only game in town.

CCrider92 and Uglyversal like this.
  11. Michael

30 second sampling has yet to be reinstated as of a moment ago...
    what was wrong with the post? Did you not understand it...shall I re-word it for you? I am here to please you.

12. Uglyversal

After the divorce I still missed them for sometime but clearly they didn't want me unless I did always what "they" wanted so I finally gave up on them and went with someone who fulfill my desires.

Tim Crowley likes this.
  13. Uglyversal

There was nothing wrong with your post, you just didn't get mine. As I've said before, sorry.

Michael likes this.
  14. Michael

I got it...but, there was no reason stated behind it. : )

15. Uglyversal

I am almost sure in an earlier post I've stated one or two reasons which I include here with much more detail:

Amazon stopped shipping to Australia once the Australian government required from them to collect a sales tax. Apparently it was a big burden to them but many other companies were happy to implement.

Behind that decision was an ulterior motive, Amazon opened an Australian branch a couple of years ago. It was and it remains fairly mediocre therefore it failed to attract customers who kept buying on Amazon's International sites. They probably thought that by barring us from their International sites we could be forced into using the local site which must have come at considerable expense, they have certainly tried hard to push us there but I and many others found other alternatives.

Now the limitation on International shipping has been expanded to other countries but the general behavior of you can buy a car in any color as long as it is black is taking it's toll but they don't learn. This thing about the samples is just another example.

Michael likes this.
  16. Michael

I must have missed them.... therefore you can see the reason behind my post...thanks for the explanation my friend. : )

Uglyversal likes this.
  17. TimM

TimM Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah, soon hasn't been very well defined.

Michael likes this.
  18. Michael

soon or way later LOL...if ever.

19. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

I just found this thread now. I thought it was my specific browser.
    I thought I was going mad but it seems like only Amazon has.:crazy:

Oelewapper and TimM like this.
  20. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

This has been annoying over the last couple of weeks, but in the grand scheme of things, a minor inconvenience. If this is permanent, then it's more of a major one. I've done most of my music purchasing by listening to samples over the last, prob. about 15 years. I learn new/new-to-me through Pandora streaming, &/or online music bulletins (Stereogum, bandcamp, pitchfork, AllMusic...) & retailer bulletins but go to Amazon to listen to a whole release via the sampling to go on to purch. CDs. This past week I ordered 2 CDs I wasn't familiar w/either material, or artist. I was intrigued by the cover-art when browsing from a UK retailer (listed below) home page via category. Had to go to youtube. B/C I like the anticipation & doing 1st full listen when I receive the CD, I just listened to 2 songs from each. (That's actually what I'd sometimes do w/Amazon's sampling, too; not always listening to samples from the entirety, just a few.) It's crossed my mind, too, that it's to try to force people into becoming a subscriber to their music streaming platform. :sigh: (So, I'm guilty, too, of using that service, but then, purchasing elsewhere.:oops::winkgrin::shrug: Too many CDs packaged in jewel cases arriving cracked from Amazon. They probably were lo$ing revenue on CDs, replacing them for customers, instead of just utilizing better packaging methods.)

I've made purchases from both of them through the years, as Vendors on Amazon &/or Ebay. After reading your post, I went to both sites & just did a couple of random searches on each, of recent purchases (recent releases) which I've made from an indie UK record shop/retailer who have a brick + mortar shop as well as online - they have excellent customer service & I want to do whatever I can to help support indie's during these unprecedented difficult times. They weren't open, just doing online; I think they may be open for p/u now (that part doesn't concern me, as I"m in US). - Anyhow, 1 wasn't listed at all, the other is, but no music sampling? o_O I even set up a/c to see if that was required to listen to samples, so IDK where this info. is coming from that they have sampling. Maybe a browser thing? I'm utilizing google. Which browser do you use?
    Here's that UK retailer site, if anyone's interested. They have great, personalized customer service. If you don't see something you're interested in, reach out & they get it (or try to). There's no sampling there. *I don't think, generally, that retailers have sampling, as I noted above.
    Reflex CD & Vinyl

Thanks for info. I'd noticed it a couple of weeks ago & had discussed somewhere here (not this thread). Then it did return, briefly; now it's gone again this past week. So, IDK if you'd spoken w/the Rep. during that interval, or during this past week.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    black sheriff, TimM and MikeMusic like this.
  21. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

To be honest the samples were pretty useless and limited to a few tracks on many releases. Just get a free Spotify account or sign up to Prime. If you buy quite a few items a monthly prime does pay for itself and you are not committed long term.

22. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

When I wrote my msg about deepdiscount and importcds, all the releases I had tried recently were there with samples, and I recently posted this link on an Elvis thread here which does have samples -
    Elvis Presley Essential Elvis Presley on DeepDiscount

that one has samples even right now and so do other old popular album releases. But both sites are having some kind of trouble right now. Many CD items I click on from their own home pages are saying "Sorry, couldn't find that product." No samples, and no listings at all even as the items are featured on their home pages.

So, I don't know - there could be some kind of trouble at akamai or they raised their micropayment rates, or something else. Big A has clearly dropped all samples at this time, but deepdiscount and importcds do have samples, but the sampling service seems to be impaired.

Here's one on importcds with samples
    Jimi Hendrix Miami Pop Festival on ImportCDs

TimM likes this.
  23. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Thanks @JohnO for checking that out & including the links w/your post :tiphat:(which I did click & see that those are, indeed, up for sampling). :) I did several additional searches of more recent titles; some did come up w/sampling, some did not: both sites. That exercise, reminded me, too, that for a number of years I did purchase on CDUniverse (which, @some point, I'd forgotton about-I guess I wasn't receiving their bulletins anymore, for some reason) & they also had sampling. So, I just checked there & they still do have sampling available - but, while I saw it on their page, it's not playing. Maybe they're all (including Amazon) being affected b/c of akamai (?) or whatever service they use for providing sampling.
    CD Universe - Your Online Music CD Store

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    TimM likes this.
  24. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

Seconded on
    Reflex CD & Vinyl
    they are good guys

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  25. EllieAl

EllieAl Member

Sorry if someone has already answered with this, but this is the response I received on the Amazon online chat regarding the missing 30 second sample.
    Thank you for your patience, our website is currently undergoing some renovation to improve your experience as a customer. During this time some of the following features may not be available: 1. Popularity of the track 2. Buy from track 3. Streaming upsell 4. Sampling & streaming of tracks 5. Disc separator for albums with multiple CDs 6. Social share 7. MP3 cart 8. MP3 - add to cart 9. Thank you page 10. Add to wishlist 11. Autorip fulfilment 12. Release Date 13. Maintaining Tracklist order 14. Tracklist Segregation for CDs At this point in time are we not able to confirm when the feature will be available again, I'm sorry about that.

TimM likes this.