Has anyone done a direct comparo between the VM95ML, VM540ML, and VM740ML?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by csgreene, Feb 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident Thread Starter

I own the VM95ML which I run on my Technics 1210GR. Lovely cartridge and I liked it so well, I bought a spare at the end of last year during a sale (and in anticipation of their upcoming price increase). However, I also have an old Denon DP-23F that I bought used some years ago that has a Stanton L737S cart (I think this is a universal cart) mounted on the Denon headshell. I noticed that playing a couple albums I'm familiar with that I was getting a fair bit of sibilance on tracks that play properly on the Technics and VM95ML. While I can get an aftermarket stylus for the Stanton, it makes more sense to me to simply replace that cart. And this leads to the topic question - has anyone compared these three AT carts? I am wondering if it would be worth the cost difference to buy the 540 or 740 for the 1210GR and move the VM95ML to the Denon vs. installing the spare 95ML on the Denon. It seems that the 540/740 use a different body with some different specs than the 95 series. The question is, can you easily hear it? My gear is in my profile.

2. csgreene

OK, I'm guessing no one has or is aware of a review doing so. I ended up installing an AT450NE using the adapter (the 450 is a universal cart like the Stanton L737S). After the relatively painless install and set-up, I plugged the 23F into my Marantz PM6004 which drives a pair of stand mounted NHT SuperZero speakers (originals from around '94). I put on my original Steve Miller's "Fly Like An Eagle" LP which is a rather sibilant pressing. The AT450 with its nude elliptical stylus seems to have solved the issue *almost* as well as the VM95ML does with sibilant albums on the 1210GR. More importantly, I can feel more confident playing my records on the AT450 which is NOS and has a unused stylus (unlike the two old Stanton carts (also a 680EE) I have with their original styluses).

3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Theres no difference between the 540 and 740. The 740 is just made heavier for certain tonearms.
    What Ive heard is that the 540 is slightly more separated than the 95ML.

csgreene likes this.
  4. Diapason

Diapason Forum Resident

Intrigued by this too. I'd love to know how much more performance I could get in my setup, as the price of admission here isn't too high...

Technocentral likes this.
  5. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

what tonearms?

6. Leonthepro

The 1200GR tonearm for example will not combo well with it supposedly.

MusicNBeer likes this.
  7. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I did not know that. I wonder what conditions exist which would preclude the 740 from performing well when fitted to the GR?

Leonthepro likes this.
  8. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

I'd agree with that, owning both myself. It will jump the groove on the occasional warped record that excites the 7Hz resonance.

I'm the opposite of OP. I want to try the VM95ML because I think the tonearm match would be way better with my 1210GR.

Leonthepro likes this.
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

On my 1200 I get a resonance (measured) of 9.5Hz with a 10g aftermarket headshell using the 95ML

MusicNBeer likes this.
  10. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I think the KAB damper helps with issues. I run the VM750SH with fine results.

MusicNBeer likes this.
  11. Leonthepro

What he said.

MusicNBeer likes this.
  12. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

Yea that's another good alternative for better performance with high compliance heavier cartridges.

Leonthepro likes this.
  13. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I'm confused, which one performs best in the GR, 540 or 740?

14. csgreene

I have read the same.

As I wrote in my OP, it's the VM95ML I run on my 1210GR and I like it well enough that I bought a spare.

However, as I installed an old NOS AT450 with its nude elliptical on the Denon rather than the spare VM95ML and it solved my sibilance issue, I'm probably going to let things stay the same with regards to the 540 or 740. The 95ML performs so well with the 1210GR that, as of the light of day, I see little need to follow my initial thought from my OP although that 540.....

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  15. Leonthepro

punkmusick likes this.
  16. luckybaer

Just stop right there. Buy another VM95ML and enjoy the bliss. :agree:

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  17. csgreene

But I have two already as I wrote in my first post along with two spare AT450NE's.

18. luckybaer

I thought you'd get one for your 2nd turntable and still retain a spare. Spares are good to have.

19. csgreene

As the AT450 worked so well on the Denon, I think I'll leave things alone. Those old AT450s are a universal mount with an included adapter but I came across them couple years ago when looking for a replacement P-mount cart for my Technics SL-QL1. A fellow on ebay had a huge NOS stock of the NE versions. I ended up with three of them before their prices went up and then disappeared altogether. So, I like spares. I may still try the 540 as I am curious if it's there's a significant aural difference that I would hear in my system with the 1210GR plugged directly into the Yamaha RX-V990 (a now nearly vintage 5.1 AV amp of remarkable quality).

20. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Which one performs best with the GR, VM95ML or 540ML?

21. Leonthepro

Supposedly the 95ML matches better with the tonearm. Soundwise its subjective Im pretty sure.

missan likes this.
  22. tryitfirst

tryitfirst supatrac.com

Yes, you can easily hear it. A few days ago I switched back from VM95SH to VM540 and put a VMN520EB stylus on it. What a relief! The 500 series have much better stereo separation, soundstage width and presence/atmosphere to my ear. The VMN540ML may be the sweet spot, but I enjoy the 520EB much more than the 95SH. While this isn't directly the comparison you want, I take it as evidence that the 500 series motor is worth the extra outlay.

The 540ML also has a beautifully tapered rapier of a cantilever whereas I think the 95ML has the same blunt broadsword you find on all budget styluses.

I will be buying another 540ML and selling my VM95SH.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    Cedricvdh likes this.
  23. Leonthepro

I heard the 500 seried and up has a smiley eq frequency response though. You didnt notice any less midrange?

24. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Thanks. I read the GR tonearm comes in at only 9g vs the 12g on other Technics turntables. I heard the 95ml is better suited for higher mass tonearms and the 540ml for lower mass. How does that factor in with the GR?

25. Leonthepro

I think its the opposite, but Im not sure and Im also not sure how much, if anything audible, it affects the sound. Never heard a demonstration of the differences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.