Has anyone ever made an audiophile quality equalizer?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ghostworld, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

sunspot42 likes this.
  2. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

3. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

1. It's a lot more compact than the necessary room treatments.
    2. It's not really suitable for room correction; it's more of a sophisticated tone control.

4. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Thanks, but for much cheaper than that I'd go for the Lyngdorf Room Perfect or the dpsPeaker antimode.

5. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

25G ??????

6. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

Absolutely not, you are inserting a lot of additional circuit in the signal path. Move, change furniture and fixtures in the room to alter the tonal balance.

7. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

The Linn technologies of Space optimisation and more (a lot more!) upmarket Exakt work superbly and Exakt gives you the dynamics and control that only an active system can. But a fully developed system designed to work with the room, is somewhat different than bolting in an equaliser that can certainly alter the sound bug time, but not without nasty side affects.

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

From album to album?

joeriz likes this.
  9. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

Probably not! But opening / closing a door can have a massive affect. Perhaps you could have varying degrees of opening!?

Whatever anyone does that allows them to enjoy their music, any music more, is good with me.

10. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

I just snagged at good working GR-777 for $70 on ebay. However, no remote. Remotes buy themselves are $60. I may see if I really need it.

11. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

I have an SAE 180 Parametric that I keep at flat much of the time, but on certain recordings I make some adjustments that I find helpful. For me, in my listening room, it works.
    [​IMG]

Ghostworld, Dr. Metal MD and 2xUeL like this.
  12. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

sunspot42 and Ghostworld like this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah, I think that price is silly, no matter what's inside there. And most, likely, not much. Are these guys hand winding their pots? They better have a TEAM hand winding their pots for that price.

sunspot42 likes this.
  14. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  15. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

good by you!! i guess i was merely stupidly lucky that my own, complete like new down to original packing,
    was netted by a good friend in AZ. off his local CRAIGSLIST for a whole $40.00, and he ended up gifting to me as a good buddy!!
    i'll never forget it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and, coincidentally enough, that same good friend so happens to be an SAE fan himself,
    using one of those very same SAE EQs in his own system to this very day, AFAIK.

he lived in NY in the 80's, was a little on the well-heeled side back then,
    drooled over, and, eventually bought, an all-SAE system from J&R MUSIC WORLD.

he had it through the 90's, but much of it got stolen in the interim years,
    and AFAIR, that EQ is all that remains...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  16. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

If I were you, I'd give one of those remotes away :)

17. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

i already did long ago to a buddy with the same model. Sorry...

18. dcollins0621

dcollins0621 New Member

GO DIGITAL EQ for digi playback?
    My music is via Mac Mini with Audirvana+ as my player. A+ allows AudioUnit plugins and there are many many pro audio AU plugins on the market (I think none of which were designed for simple hifi playback purposes :)) . But I am today testing out a FREE and simple standalone plugin - Blue Cat Triple EQ (stereo). A short test with headphones and I so far hear no change to SQ with the plugin active but flat eq...8 diff tracks back n forth and I'm not hearing any change. Later today I'll make my settings and room test it. My need is to tame a a single narrow but healthy ported bass bloom in my secondary speakers.

If the eq is as transparent as I'm hoping this should be THE audiophile way to eq with Audirvana or similar, no?

19. John

John Senior Member

Wow beautiful piece. Before dropping $25K I would look at a Sontec 432 around $8K or 250 around $3K, used by many mastering engineers.

20. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

I just hooked in the Pioneer GR-777 I purchased on ebay. The thing is quiet as a mouse and I bumped the low end frequencies up a bit and my system sounds PERFECT (for now). I have always liked a smidge more bottom end. Even when i had tone controls. I'm really was not wanting a sub. This EQ is perfect. Thanks so much for the info. Now I need to find a remote that does not cost as much as the freaking equalizer.

21. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

I was doing some reading and a few said instead of boosting the frequencies that you need, one should reduce the surrounding frequencies and leave the ones that you need boosted flat. Is there any reason for this train of thought?

22. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

We are equalizer brothers now; congrats !
    Good luck finding that remote; it's a unicorn. Pity about the timing; not a month ago one was sold in this little remote controls shop just by the downtown bus stop I use. I saw it for over a year in the shop window and thought they would never sell it, and maybe they didn't. Want me to ask ? I still got mine mint (bought it new in '92 and it's a joy to be able to eq from the listening position. I also keeps the thing like new since almost all the functions on the front fascia of the unit are duplicated on the remote.

Bollocks; just try not to boost anything more than 2-4 db and if possible at the farthest ends of the spectrum alone (32 hz and 16 khz). There's very little harmonic coloration on the rest of the spectrum this way. Speakers not listed on your profile but if they're bass capable you should not need more than 2-4 db at 32hz with a good recording, esp through you Sennies.

You can also usually tame midrange harshness with just a 2db reduction at 1 khz or 2khz depending on the offensive freq, people would say 500 hz but that's never worked for me, just don't go crazy with curves and don't use the factory presets; they suck bigtime.

Enjoy; you have just gotten the best bang-for-the-buck old-school eqing tool on the market.

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That is what I do in the studio, reverse EQ. Works great and actually reduces surface noise or tape hiss (or both). A bit different for home use but during playback: It keeps your amp from clipping, It keeps extra noise from being added. It usually requires an expert touch which means that most will muck it up, start crying and turn off their EQ which is what they should have done in the first place. : ^ )

24. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

My car stereo preamp (Pioneer DEXP99rs) has an incredibly nice sounding audiophile EQ. It is DSP based and has 32 bands of adjustment, individual L & R and at .5db increments. EQ is essential for mobile audio. Pioneer could easily adapt this for home use as a standalone component.
    However, as I have found EQ is a very slippery slope. It's difficult for your ears to distinguish where to adjust and by how much. I found that computer based RTA software and microphone was a must for measuring the response and setting a baseline target curve. I could never do it by ears alone, not with 32 bands of adjustment (which you really need to do it right). And despite having good intentions, there is no such thing as an auto room correction system that comes close to getting it right.
    It's a lot of measuring and trial and error.
    For home audio you should be able to setup your system with the proper components, speaker placement and listening position to avoid needing an EQ.

http://s.360qc.com/16807/p76836.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.