Has anyone finally figured out the D vs N Sinatra wax debate? I have a record that has both.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hoboken, Aug 14, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoboken

Hoboken New Member Thread Starter

Hello! Thank you for letting me join. I have an original pressing of Wee Small Hours, grey Capitol pressing, 3/4 circle. The side a W1-581 N4 and side b says W2-581 D15" with both sides having the anvil.

I've read that long thread debating what N vs D means and it doesn't make sense to me. Why my record would have both. Why would the Scranton plant have plates from two different sources? Wouldn't they keep them together?

I am comparing sides now.

Thanks!

2. VinylPhool

VinylPhool Forum Resident

Welcome to the forum @Hoboken!

This happens frequently with Sinatra albums from the Capitol era. I have not encountered a straight answer to this. I’d really like to know too. One of our top Sinatra authorities on various pressings is @MLutthans, I bet he’d know. I can’t even begin to tell you how much I’ve learned from him over the years. @Bob F. may also know the answer. I learned a lot from him too. There is another expert I know of - @martinmelucci. Between the three of them just about any question about any Sinatra recording could be answered. There may be others too.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Bob F likes this.
  3. Hoboken

Thanks! Yeah I've been scouring this forum and I'm still confused. I don't understand why the Scranton plant would press the vinyl from two different sources. Why would they do that? If one side of my vinyl is from another city, what happened to the other side? And why would they separate them? That doesn't make sense.

4. VinylPhool

VinylPhool Forum Resident

I agree. Which is why I named some of the experts - this guarantees they’ll see this thread and have the opportunity to address our question.

5. Hoboken

Oh awesome. Thanks for doing that for me. Hopefully they can clear this up.

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That should be: @MMM (Calling Martin. ;))

MLutthans likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.