Has anyone here ever visited the Dakota?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hamishd91, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm not a big Lennon fan but I understand why a fan would want to visit and pay their respects. I visited Basin C1100 at Marina Del Rey, CA where Dennis Wilson drowned. It was sort of sad and haunting.

2. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

I went there for a visit in the summer of 1987. I went across the street to the Imagine circle in Central Park. I look over and in the bushes, there was a bum pleasing himself and quite enjoying it... :(

3. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Went there 2 years ago, not a huge Lennon fan but was in NYC and thought I'd go see it.

4. BZync

BZync Senior Member

In 1980 I was working for the "Globe" tabloid. The offices were in the Daily News building on 42nd. On the day that John Lennon was murdered, they had me running all over town gathering materials for the "memorial issue". The last run of the day, unfortunately, was to deliver an envelope to the guard gate at the Dakota. I got as far as the sidewalk across the street. The sidewalks along the building were packed with crying fans. I stood there for several minutes and I couldn't bring myself to cross the street and approach the guard station. I just didn't want to see that spot on the pavement where John had been shot less than 24 hours earlier.

I must have looked a fright, as a policeman approached me and asked if I were okay. I told him that I couldn't bring myself to deliver the package. He offered to walk it across the street for me. I watched as he handed it off to the guard then turned and gave me a quick wave. I hit a pay phone and told the folks at the Globe that I was through for the day.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

What other odd spots come to mind?

6. Soupy94

Soupy94 New Member

In late October 2006, I was in NYC with family, and we travelled all around that great city for a few days. One of our forays took us to Strawberry Fields, and past the Dakota. It is a gorgeous building, but immediatelly upon seeing it, I was saddened to think of what happened there in 1980.
    On a closing note, on that night when John died, I was living in Ottawa, Canada. I remember tuning in my radio, and going up and down the AM dial. It was amazing - wall-to-wall Beatles on every station.

[​IMG]

7. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Wow, that is an amazing picture. Thanks for that. It's unreal to think that NYC once looked like that. And I'm sure it was even more beautiful while the Indians were still in charge there. :)

8. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Which famous people have lived there? Lorne Michaels, Paul Simon, Leonard Bernstein are the only ones that I (think) I know of.

9. TheiPodAvenger

TheiPodAvenger Forum Resident

Gilda Radner, guitarist GE Smith (when he was married to Gilda), Lauren Bacall.

10. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

11. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

That picture is just amazing. That building has been there for that long? Amazing photo.

12. jricc

jricc Senior Member

I went there once, on the morning after he was killed...haven't been back since.

13. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Judy Garland, Boris Karloff, Connie Chung

http://www.aviewoncities.com/nyc/dakota.htm

14. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

In 1999, I flew up to see Ian Hunter at the Bowery Ballroom. It was a lightning trip - fly up Friday afternoon, fly back Saturday night.

Saturday during the day was my "tourist" time. I'd never been to the Dakota, or that part of NYC for that matter.

As I came out of the subway, I was shocked and startled to see THIS place, looming so large in front of me. It was then I remembered what was said after "it" happened:

"Why did he hang around after the deed? He could have just ran down into the subway and been gone in an instant."

It was creepy and sad, and I felt sick. I felt MORE sick when I saw people getting their picture taken there. I peeked into the entry way, afraid to look, really....

The vibes there were heavy and unsettling.

I went to Strawberry Fields to try and regain my composure, and there were flowers around the mosaic, people sitting there and singing John's songs...

I sat on a bench for a few moments; but I just wanted to get out of there.

As has been said, I don't know how Yoko or Sean could have possibly continue to live there, walking past THAT spot day in and day out without feeling violated.

Going there made it REAL. Not just a place in a movie, or on tv news clips.

It was a very sobering experience for me.

15. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Bill, you captured exactly what felt when I made my visit. About 30 minutes after I left there, it came to me, that, I hadn't taken any pictures. I'm glad I didn't.

16. fldveloce

fldveloce the moon was a drip on a dark hood

I visited a friend's brother's apartment in the Dakota. My friend said that they were the only people living there other than the Lennons.

We didn't see John or Yoko, though the Beatles did come on the radio while we hung out in the apartment. I always had an affinity for John ever since getting a Beatles card (in 1964?) that mentioned that his birthday was 10/9 -- mine too. Cool place, though I was much more overwhelmed by the possibility of bumping into John.

Haven't been back since.

Fred

17. Soupy94

Soupy94 New Member

A few years back I was in South Beach, when I stumbled upon the former home of fashion designer Gianni Versace, who was gunned down on the fronts steps of his property. I was on the other side of the street, and was shocked to see people posing for photos on the very steps where Versace was slain.

[​IMG]

18. I've walked past the building a couple of times though the last time I was in NYC was 2 years ago at this stage and it's only really in the time since that I've become a big Beatles fan. I would feel no urge to go there personally, I'm all for paying respects to a favourite artist but I think I'd rather do it a grave site or some other form of memorial than the place they were killed. It is a little strange to see pictures of smiling tourists on the spot though, especially because most people here have mentioned the melancholy they experienced around the building.

19. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

I was at the Dakota once in 1988 right after Christmas. Was on a daytrip to NYC while visiting sister who lived in West Orange,NJ. Had to break away from the pack and walk around it once. Think I probably stood right at or very close to the exact spot. Stood there for a minute at very most maybe...looked around a bit. Just something I had to do. Was a bit anti-climactic...candy wrappers laying in the street nearby...it's NY, life goes on of course. Don't know what I expected...nothing really...still. Didn't make it to Strawberry Fields.

20. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

21. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Thats one heck of a photo - not only John signing the paper itself, but Yoko framed in a somewhat submissive pose cradled next to John as well.

As a photography collector, thats an unusually fine candid looking snap. Doesn't get much better.....

22. Dr.O'Boogie

Dr.O'Boogie Forum Resident

John would often add a little doodle self portrait when he signed his autograph from the 70's onwards. I agree, It's a nice little touch.

23. Studio_Two

Studio_Two Forum Resident

Maybe.

I was smiling when I had my picture taken outside Paul McCartney's home and I was smiling outside the Dakota too. No-one will take away the pleasure those guys gave to me... :)

24. Dr.O'Boogie

Dr.O'Boogie Forum Resident

I think that your trained eye has served you well. Apparently, the recipient of the signature got the picture of John signing from a professional photographer who was there at the time and said that he wouldn't mind sending him a copy later. I do agree that it's a great shot.

25. zenarus

zenarus Forum Resident

I was there in the summer of 2005..I wrote about somewhere
    here on the forum but can't remember where..
    It was very creepy..Like goose bump creepy.
    Strawberry Field was solemn with a lot of people standing about.
    When I walked around the back of the Dakota I saw Peter Boyle
    walking toward us in a long line of people. He looked pretty bad.
    I remember the Dakota looked a lot smaller than in all the pictures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.