Has anyone upgraded from the RME ADI-2 DAC?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CarmineRed, Nov 13, 2022.

1. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

The AKM one. I have no idea if it sounds better because of the preamp, the DAC or both. Gonna let it run like this for a while and then swap the RME back in.

Tone? likes this.
  2. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Supposedly there is no difference in sound quality...

3. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

I’ve seen that written, and seen people who claim the AKM version is better. I’ve only heard mine, so I have no idea to what extent any of that is true.

Tone? likes this.
  4. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

It’s the better one for sure.
    Also has 2.5db of extra headroom for inter sample overs.
    The ESS chip doesn’t have that.

the benchmark DAC has 3db of extra headroom for inter sample overs as well

5. Cekootje

Cekootje Well-Known Member

I have the newest RME (with the Sabre dac), love it for all of the features written about before.

But one big plus for me is the remote! It has dedicated buttons for the inputs you see? So I can tell my family to push the Opt button for TV, USB for Spotify etc. That’s way better than cycling through all the inputs, something most dacs do nowadays.

Oddiofyl and tIANcI like this.
  6. mtemur

mtemur Forum Resident

I used rme adi-2 fs for about one year. it’s a great sounding dac for it’s price range. I had the akm chip version and used it in nos mode.

Tone? likes this.
  7. CKDC

CKDC Forum Resident

I like my RME adi2 fs.

But, I did feel something was missing.

I decided to go with an ANK 4.1 Professional DAC.

DAC4.1x Professional Edition – ANK Audio Kits

It is triple the price and is just a dac. No EQ, no amp, volume control, etc.

But, it sounds better, way better than the RME.

8. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I actually am thinking of moving the RME into my bedroom with headphone amp and maybe Vault along with some powered monitors for a nice mini system. I was on the fence about selling it I think I would definitely get use out of it. More than in my listening room.

9. gakerty

gakerty Forum Resident

Thought I'd circle back around after living with the Lumin T3 streamer/DAC for about a week. The ADI-2 is still in my system for more generalized two channel, movies, computer, some music Qobuz from Windows. First let me state that the often stated "fact" that streaming from a computer is always going to be noisier/dirtier and by default worse than a dedicated streamer was NOT at all true in my case. For the ADI-2, my PC (custom built by me, with nice parts) is going through a Lavricables USB into a Schiit decrapifier (forget what it's called) then into the ADI-2, which has a linear power supply. The Lumin T3 is simply fed with a Supra CAT8 cable (~$40?), and goes out balanced into my Rogue RP9. The noise level between the sources (custom PC->ADI-2 versus ethernet->Lumin T3) is identical, in fact both sound excellent. Soundwise, not fully broken in (if you believe that stuff) the Lumin T3 has this relaxed, spacious, effortless quality to it. The biggest difference is the soundstage, which is wider and deeper on the Lumin (maybe the dual mono design)? I can fool myself into hearing more detail from the Lumin, but any detail difference certainly is not overt. The Lumin has become my dedicated digital music source, and I'm treating it like my analog setup, in which I listen to albums from start to finish mostly. Overall, it's a nice piece that I will keep, but honestly is NOT head and shoulders above the RME, but so far the Lumin lends itslf well to long term, fatigue - less listening. The RME is just a touch "sharper". I like both DACs and I will keep them! Edit: One curious note is that the Lumin seems to have more bass than the RME (bass and treble at zero, no EQ)

tIANcI likes this.
  10. Gi54

Gi54 Forum Resident

11. CarmineRed

CarmineRed I promise I'm very nice in person Thread Starter

I didn’t. Got a new preamp and that’s taken up a lot of my time trying to get everything dialed in. It’s on my list of things in the future though

Gi54 likes this.