Has cutting the cord jumped the shark?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ty D. Tatman, Jul 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident Thread Starter

As Roku users (like myself) and Firestick users continue to wait for HBOMAX to strike a deal with those two devices, we are now caught up in a feud that streaming was supposed to keep us from. This is exactly like when a network we enjoy and our cable/satellite provider squabbled and we were stuck out in the cold. Is it really worth the trouble to have a patchwork of apps, antennas, and physical discs just to avoid paying for a cable or satellite subscription. Is this the moment people start thinking about going back and maybe just having a Netlflix or Hulu to fall back on on their smart tv?

2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

It will always be something when big money is involved.

Staxus, MikeInFla, poe_man and 2 others like this.
  3. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I've got a Roku and subscriptions to Netflix, Amazon Prime & Hulu Plus. It's way more television than I'll ever need. I cut the cord a few years ago and don't regret it at all. I can't imagine going back to cable.

4. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

All I need to do as a reminder of why cable subscriptions are worthless is to flip through the entertainment channels on PlutoTV.

5. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Yeah, there a lot of folks who can live without HBOMax. Lots of competition out there, at least for now.

6. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

The problem is too much competition. If/when some don’t pan out enough some consolation hopefully will happen and perhaps then things may improve. However the one thing about cable was it’s convenience of not have to keep switching apps everything was right there. Well everything they offered which streaming definitely offers more of. If every service could be used under a single app that would be so much better for everyone. The problem now is too many segregated services charging too much if you wanted all of them. People like tv shows and movies from all different studios and stations to begin with. Segregation sucks! Which service(s) caries Happy Days right now?

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I bet there's a digital side-channel on your OTA that has that...;)

I'm also betting, once there's a device that finally has contracts for all the most-desired services...one of the major cable giants will buy it...and, put it out of business.

Then, start fresh with a newly-priced tier based on "on demand"...for everything.

Then watch the home-shopping and religious channels start to squirm...! :p

8. HBOMax blew it as far as I’m concerned. As John Oliver (who is onHBO and HBOMax) continues to make fun of how their doing and their strategy which appears to be a failure as far s I’m concerned.

9. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

CBS has the rights. If it's not on All Access, I have no idea.
    That's the one PITA about all these services: having to switch between them.

Dan

10. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I don’t mind switching between, appletv has integrated them together pretty well for things on Apple TV and Hulu and Disney plus, I don’t think netflix is in the same view yet.

my issue as I see peacock, hbomax, cbs all access, etc is now they’re splintering too much. And instead of seeing the value in cutting the cord, if I need five-six streaming services, well screw it, and keep cable.

11. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

The way I see it, your cutting cable (because of the fees), yet your paying them for all these other streaming services.....

spanky1, Lownote30, showtaper and 4 others like this.
  12. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I agree if you have amazon, prime roku, sling, apple tv.etc
    You are paying the same price in long run..
    And eventually these streaming services will get stale and boring ..

Bluesman Mark and boboquisp like this.
  13. nopedals

nopedals Forum Resident

I have a TIVO that neatly integrates OTA, YouTube, and Amazon Prime (which I already pay for) with a DVR on one remote. Zero fees. I get to see cable in hotel rooms while traveling. No thanks.

unclefred likes this.
  14. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Tivo has the best interface for sure. If we weren't too far from the nearest city in our media market, I'd have kept that service with an added antenna. We almost have to have a pay service to obtain the free channels. Which is a ****ty irony.

15. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

Eventually? Lol

Bluesman Mark, Atmospheric and jtiner like this.
  16. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

The wife wanted to keep cable, but thanks to Roku and the Spectrum app, I was able to get rid of three cable boxes. Saved me about $50 a month. Plus, I can use the other apps like Prime and YouTube when I'm not watching cable.

So, while we never cut the cord, that competition provided us with more options.

17. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Right now I only have Netflix but even if I wanted to get Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime, I would still be paying about half of what my cable was costing me when I had it.

MisterBritt likes this.
  18. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Being free of monthly equipment charges is the number one thing that makes me think I will never go back to cable. That, and the overwhelmingly greater amount of choice that is available via streaming. You can subscribe to a service for awhile, then painlessly unsubscribe and try something else.

19. PB62

PB62 Forum Resident

I cut cable maybe 4-5 years ago and I would NEVER considering going back. Commercials constantly, big bang theory and other sitcoms on several channels over and over...,and total rip off pricing. When I finally cut it and carried the box to the then time warner center...only then did they offer me a better price.
    I have only Netflix...most of that is garbage too. Dozens of original shows that are poorly written and f- bombs insufferably. ( I’m not offended by f-bombs per say only when the dialogue is so bad every other sentence has one) Also all of these streaming shows seem to be good for two seasons at best then right into the crapper.
    I signed up for game HBO now so I could finish game of thrones I has rented from the local library...after watching the train wreck of the final season ...I watched the Chernobyl series ( thought it was excellent) and couldn’t find anything else to justify keeping it.
    I guess my point is I’m fairy picky about what I consider quality tv and no service is really providing much of it and the cable companies were/are horrible. So in short no shark jumped for me.

20. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

The Shark isn't even in sight, go cutters!

Staxus, Stencil, milankey and 2 others like this.
  21. mynameistaken

mynameistaken Forum Resident

I'm in a similar boat as you. We are roku users and have Netflix, Prime, Hulu Live, and recently added Disney + and Espn + for an extra $5 per month. We have been Prime subscribers for years for the expedited shipping, and view the streaming as a bonus. We haven't missed cable at all since removing it. Hulu Live and now with the added ESPN +, we'll be able to watch just about all the TV and Sports that we ever would have watched with cable.

22. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Possibly, but using the term "Jumped the shark" definitely has.

23. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

For me it isn’t just the fees, it’s paying the fees AND getting interrupted for ad breaks every 5-7 minutes. With streaming services at least you get to pay for the programming you actually want to instead of getting channels you want bundled on tiers with a bunch of stuff you don’t. It may ultimately wind up costing the same, but it’s still more bang for your buck, imo.

I pay for Netflix, Hulu w/Showtime, Shudder, Night Flight, and Disney. Haven’t paid for cable in 15 years.

Hyacinth House likes this.
  24. I don't have any pay tv services, and I don't do streaming. I watch DVD, Blu-Ray, VHS

Post-Punk Monk and Chauncy like this.
  25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I've never paid for a damn set-top-box in my life, and I've lived all across the country. The only equipment charge I ever pay for, is to rent an M-card for as many TiVo's as I own. The only flexibility I lose, is the cable company's lackluster "On Demand" features: program selection is meh, but it's really just there to get you to pony-up extra for events and date-night movies anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.