Has cutting the cord jumped the shark?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ty D. Tatman, Jul 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

We subscribe to Hulu live, which I like in part for locals and decent dvr space.

I also subscribe to cbs all access/ paramount. My wife subscribes to peacock, which is ok.

the girls subscribe to Disney plus.
    Yeah it adds up, but I’m never frustrated that nothing is on.

2. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

I think people are now subscribing to so many services that they are spending as much or more than when they had an Comcast/your provider here service. It is insane and I agree that I am tired of being help ransom to any of these companies. Screw Netflix, Hulu, Disney HBO and the rest of them. If it wasn't for my wife's desire to subscribe to these services I would have none at all. I'd only have a Bluray player to play my own movies. At most I'd rent from Redbox (if they are still around).

I'd rather listen to music.

3. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

The first year I came back to Comcast they welcomed me back and gave me a good deal. The next year when I called to renew, that deal was gone of course and their representative tried to bully me into their new, more expensive plan. If he had been polite, I would have considered it.

Chauncy and Hyacinth House like this.
  4. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

The difference is that they're paying for content they'll watch instead of hundreds of channels that they won't watch.

unclefred and daglesj like this.
  5. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Have DISH. Love baseball and football. College and NFL. I can watch the SEC, PAC , Big 10 and ACC Have and Firestick in our travel trailer. At home, our daughter has Netflix and Disney Plus on some of our TVs. Also we have Amazon Prime. We are watching a lot of Netflix. Wasn’t impressed with Roku. We may buy the Dish for the travel trailer. Not ready to cut the cord yet.

6. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

This is how I do it. It is liberating to be able to just cancel for a while. And sign back up when there is new, interesting content.

poidog likes this.
  7. Hyacinth House

Hyacinth House Forum Resident

You touched on the biggest difference between cable and streaming. Most streaming services offer commercial-free tiers, and with cable I’m supposed to pay premium prices and watch commercials? No way!

unclefred, CDV and Isaac K. like this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I installed an Antenna, opened up ORTV (repair shop) forever. I bought the Oak Ridge, TN (Nuclear city) cable TV system (and fastest ISP) and renamed it CATV (Community Access Television) one of the first ever built, because of the East Tennessee Hills!! The satellite dish went Chernobyl aka Fat Man or Little Boy!!

9. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

That will inevitably change once the various streaming channels' revenue flattens out and they look for other ways to increase income.

Bluesman Mark and Hyacinth House like this.
  10. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

I honestly thought this was going to be about the birth of our children and us cutting the umbilical cord instead of the doctor, nurse or midwife doing it.

Mirrorblade.1 likes this.
  11. Hyacinth House

Hyacinth House Forum Resident

Great point! You’re probably right. I guess I’ll just enjoy it while I can.

12. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

The streaming wars have proven 1 thing: Piracy is king.

(Not condoning it or suggesting it.)

13. Chauncy

Chauncy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

14. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I'm seeing the reverse with my Basic Limited Spectrum cable package lately and it kinda' makes me suspicious when my total monthly cable bill went from $57 to $35. The paper bill in the mail shows a sports channel bundle of around $17 removed without anyone telling me or calling me and for all these years I didn't even know I had a sports channel bundle.

I stopped calling Spectrum CSR's to drop the price of my bill for the few channels I get which are the 3 networks, PBS, C-SPAN, local government, two home shopping stations and rerun channels like MeTV, CometTV, GetTV, GritTV and Movies channel.

And for some reason most of the rerun channels are showing movies at full HD resolution with very much improved color which wasn't the case for several years. I guess this is how the cable companies are competing.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    Veronica Mars likes this.
  15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Streaming is a cord. They cut one and connected up to another (or a few others).

Who's kidding who here?

hifisoup, showtaper, CDV and 3 others like this.
  16. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

It all depends on your viewing habits. As for myself, I have fairly large DVD collection which I supplement with Youtube content. Plus, I really can't stand the constant, loud and annoying ad breaks on regular television. Not to mention the practices of speeding shows up in order to stuff more ads into a half hour show.

905, Chauncy, poe_man and 1 other person like this.
  17. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

People actually watch commercials? I hit the skip button or the mute button. I don't even watch the commercials during the Super Bowl.

unclefred, Bluesman Mark and budwhite like this.
  18. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I’ve been gathering the necessary equipment to replace my rooftop antenna for OTA reception at my cottage once the weather here breaks. I was talking to my son in law about this project and he says, “as a teenager we called that farm TV”. I asked him what did he mean by that?
    He said “TV that wasn’t cable”. I thought that was pretty funny.

McLover likes this.
  19. CDV

CDV Forum Resident

I don't even watch Super Bowl.

SRC, poe_man and Bluesman Mark like this.
  20. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Hence the walls of streaming will fall just back and watch at the relative absurd lengths these companies will go through
    to get your money.. and yes music is better than most media entertainment.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  21. PrancyTheWonderBug

PrancyTheWonderBug Forum Resident

Have one streaming service, and when you have watched everything on it, cancel and sign up for a different one.

Rinse and repeat until you have run out of streaming services, and at that point, the first one surely has some new content for you.

22. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

The savings isn't enough for me to care. I'm corded! I need the sports.

23. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

ESPN is apparently considering an streaming service that would mirror their cable offerings. Given that cable household penetration has fallen from 88% to 65% over the past 10 years, they know they have to plan for the death of the cable bundle sooner rather than later.

905 likes this.
  24. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

My mother in law is jumping from Cox to Tvision. She’s dropping over half the current monthly cost . If I had any interest in cable tv I’d consider it to.

25. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

I cut the cable after paying some $100+ per month and only watching 4 channels out of 300+ available channels. I watch DVDs borrowed from the library, stream free shows from Peacock, and watch antenna TV that has more shows I like to watch than what I got from cable. So far, it's wayy cheaper in my current setup.

CDV likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.