Has Elton John recorded another song that rocks harder than "The Bitch Is Back"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Elmo, Jan 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Just checked on Qobuz, it's on the Redbook and hi res Tumbleweed Connection

2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

He tried to rock as hard as the Stones with BIB the Stones knockoff. He did not quite get there. Has anyone tried a Stones knockoff and rocked as hard? Probably not. Maybe Paul Westerberg.
    However...…...I agree that it is one of his hardest rocking songs. :D

Mai Tem Baht likes this.
  3. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Elton made Pinball Wizard his own and I'd argue that he made Lucy In The Sky his own too.
    As for the OP, Id give the edge to Saturday Nights Alright For Fighting as EJ's hardest rocking song. In the 80s Id say it would be Im Still Standing. Lots of great suggestions in this thread, but SNAFF and BIB are pretty hard to beat!

tedg65 likes this.
  4. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: "Rocks Harder" is a vague term. Some people might interpret it to mean "Rocks Faster" while others might think it means "Rocks With The Distortion Unit Cranked Up More." In other words: Which rocks harder, "I'm Down" or "Helter Skelter"?

HotelYorba101 and Beaneydave like this.
  5. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

I wouldn't buy your argument with his Lucy cover. The difference is that with The Who's Pinball Wizard it's lacking in emotion when compared to EJ's which is strange since Daltrey is one of the great emotional rock singers. But the Beatles Lucy is a masterpiece. It's an experience. I mean if you mean EJ made it his own as in he didnt better it he just does a very unique version, I agree. I doubt it's the hit it was though had he not been the biggest pop star in the world at the time.

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The riff is rocking hard, the drums swing swiftly, sound is incredible. Not lightweight imo.

7. darkmage

darkmage Through Doors of Moonlight

Thanks for posting! I have never seen this clip, or this version of his band in 1976. They definitely rock! Still led by Davey Johnstone on guitar but missing Nigel Olsson and Dee Murray. The only time I saw EJ was in 1982 and both had returned by then.

Colinjpush and Hep Alien like this.
  8. KankRat

KankRat Forum Resident

The Dream Theater cover of Funeral for a Friend / Love Lies Bleeding got me back into EJ's early stuff. For DT to cover it, it's pretty rockin'.

9. daleyguy

daleyguy Forum Resident

I think Dear John is a good rocker.

DRJOEL65, Deano6, Beaneydave and 3 others like this.
  10. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

You got it. I didn't mean that it was better than the Beatles original, but that Elton made it his own and his version could stand toe-to-toe with the Beatles version. Of course, it didn't hurt having Dr Winston O'Boogie singing and playing on it too. I believe he was quoted as saying he liked it better than the Beatles original, but what would he know? hehe

11. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Crocodile Rock ain't exactly an arena ballad. He plaayed it when I saw him winter of 1972. It hadn't been released yet, totally unknown to the audience, and it rocked balls.

12. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

My issue with Elton's version is it sounds like he's singing a love song about Lucy which conflicts with the imagery of the lyrics.

uzn007 likes this.
  13. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

This thread has me thinking about throwing out my entire collection of music.

14. debased

debased Senior Member

A few years ago I went back and bought a bunch of his albums from the 70's. I liked "Crocodile Rock" as a kid but grew tired of it. It was only after hearing the previous albums before Don't Shoot Me that I realized what a statement it actually was. Definitely a precursor to some of the songs that got recorded for Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

DLD likes this.
  15. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I'm down with ' I'm Down '....

uzn007 likes this.
  16. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

???

17. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. DLD

DLD Senior Member

I've definitely tired of Croc Rock as well but, back then, at that moment, after hearing mostly ballad after beautiful ballad, it was magic

19. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

TBIB doesn't really feel like a "rocking" type song for me.
    Saturday Night and Pinball Wizard do.
    TBIB reminds me of Snookeroo by Ringo Start which Elton also wrote and played piano on.
    Theyre just uptempo pop songs.
    A lot of these are.

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Maybe my favorite one-two punch on this forum. :biglaugh:

bob chabot, tug_of_war and MPLRecords like this.
  21. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

Candle in the wind?

;)

tug_of_war and Rick Robson like this.
  22. bryduck

bryduck Forum Resident

That's the one that gets my vote . . .

bob chabot likes this.
  23. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Someone saved my life tonight!

;)

P.S.: BY FAR my favourite drum lines on an Elton's song!

Hep Alien and tug_of_war like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.