Has James Holzhauer broken "Jeopardy!"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guy incognito, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Maybe they (the audiences) respect the show enough to not ruin it for everyone else? I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

2. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

It should be pointed out (as my wife did to me) -
    that he didn't really lose the game on the Shakespeare question (as he got the question right) --
    rather -- she won on the Shakespeare question (she had bet enough to win no matter what, if she answered that right).

Actually, all three of them got the question right.

3. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I'm going to miss James as I was hoping he would break Ken's record winnings. However James set a record for one day total. He had an amazing run for sure.

4. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

He achieved the top 16 one-day totals over his 33 days. And I think the former one-day record (held by Jennings) was about 75 K.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Any chance they could fight it out one day?

6. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I'm sure they will. Whether Trebek will be around at that point is an open question, though.

7. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

He has the top 16 scores in Jeopardy! You have to break $77,000 to get to number 17 on the one day total.

I personally liked James. And I liked Ken. But I was rooting for James to break both the records. After all, records were made to be broken.

Nevertheless, both are pretty much set for life. Unless they puss some stunt like the guy who won over $100k on Press Your Luck. However, given their skills, they could even recover from that.

8. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Apparently he’s on the mend.

9. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Bring back the 5 win limit!

10. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I like it the way it is now, this run by James has brought more interest to the show.

11. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

12. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

13. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Well, after watching tonight, I don’t think she’s going to be around very long.

Rick Sanchez, daca and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It was a network rig to chop him. They’re probably been tracking his metrics. They threw a slow pitch question in a big league game to make it anyone’s ballgame.

15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Uh, no he isn’t. He just got some relatively positive news. He’s far from on the mend.

Holzhauer and Jennings will go head to head someday but Trebek won’t be around to see it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Perhaps ABC is doing damage control with an imaginary scapegoat.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

That was my impression as well. Too bad, based on what I saw when she played against Holzhauer I thought Emma was going to be the next big thing.

mrjinks likes this.
  18. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

Rick Sanchez and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Name names.

Given how the show it taped, your theory is very unlikely. The show is taped in 10 show increments. 5 shows on a Tuesday, 5 on a Wednesday, then off for two weeks. Suppose you are a very successful contestant, and win 20 shows before being defeated. This would put you in a 3rd place tie for best ever behind Jennings and Holzhauer. It would require you to attend 3 taping sessions of two days each over a month's time. With plenty of time to return home to attend to jobs and home responsibilities.

Your theory states that someone is coming to the end of one of those taping sessions, on a run, racking up fame and fortune, thinking "the boss will kill me if I take a couple days off in another two weeks", and tanking. Anyone with a boss like that should be thinking about leveraging Jeopardy! for a new job anyway. Jeopardy! is going to make you look a lot better to potential employers than some schmuck sending out mass resumes or working on his LinkedIn connections. I do not believe any contestant would ever do what you claim they will do.

mrjinks, Matthew Tate and BeatleJWOL like this.
  20. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I respectfully disagree.

21. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

How do you expect me to name names? I don't keep track of that. I doubt anyone does. Do you?

It's just an observation for which I have no proof. You're free to disagree and I welcome the discussion. I didn't present it as a truism. I said "I feel that (such-and-such)". I could have just as well have said "I think (such-and-such)".

As far as people's jobs go, it depends how you feel about the job, and it depends on whether you think you can keep winning.
    I was really thinking about someone who has been in a job for a long time, is paid well, and has responsibilities there.
    For instance, one for which winning $100,000 would be less than a year's salary. How many people on there do you see win $100,000?
    There are different kinds of jobs, of course.

I can say, as a parent, that I couldn't be away for that long.

22. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

She did run the first category on last night's show. Winning or losing depends a lot on the categories.

James was a unique contestant.

Matthew Tate and Keith V like this.
  23. htom

htom Senior Member

The previous single day total of $77,000 was set by Roger Craig on Sept 14, 2010 (game 2 of season 27). Ken Jennings' highest single day total (and the previous record) was $75,000 on July 23, 2004 (the last game of season 20).

Check out the J! Archive for info like this, but the site is not really set up for searches.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Roger Craig (he's one of the few names I do remember) -- because (at that time, at least) he came from the town where I went to college.
    (thanks for the correction to my earlier post)

I remember in the Tournament of Champions for the season he was in, he was in the championship match,
    he got two Daily Doubles in a row and bet it all both times, getting both right.
    So he went from $9000 to $18000 to $36000 in two clues.
    I still remember the other contestants looking at each other and shaking their heads after this happened.

James's aggressive betting in his recently completed run reminded me of that.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Perhaps he is. I was hoping Emma would prove that James was not so much unique but that he had tapped into a more strategic approach to winning more money. Let's see how Emma does today.

Matthew Tate, tmoore and Keith V like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.