Has James Holzhauer broken "Jeopardy!"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guy incognito, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

yeah and he tried to throw the competitors a bone saying he guessed but they knew lol....I'm torn, I want the upset but this is like watching a hit streak....how far can he go? even cal ripken took a night off eventually

Veltri likes this.
  2. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I'm old enough to remember Jeopardy with Art Fleming as the host, and the contestants were allowed to buzz in as soon as the "answer" was revealed on the board. They buzzed in without even hearing or reading the clue, based on their knowledge of the subject matter. This made for a very interesting game, as people "bet" on every clue, not just the DDs.

jupiter8, utopiarun and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I know how to sabotage a young male contestant with Asperger’s.

Try categories like:

Romantic comedies;
    Alcoholic beverages;
    Psychedelia;
    Comedians who appeared on Johnny Carson;
    Fashion design;
    Song lyrics.

4. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

Just a little heads-up folks...if anyone is thinking about dipping your hat strategically below one eye...it doesn't work, whether your scarf is apricot or not. :hide:

Rick Sanchez and Tree of Life like this.
  5. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

For Ken Jennings it was a bad day. He was beat by a nothing player who lost the next day. But Jennings had a bad day, only had $8000 or so, was in range, and missed the final.

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Are we talking full-blown scarf, or ascot...?

7. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

What is H&R Block? The words Ken Jennings can never get out of his head.

You were right, Jennings had a bad day, and the woman who beat him won a little more than $14k. (Equivalent to a bad 1st round for James.)

Again, if he can keep beating people, more power to him,

Someone will. Ultimately. No one gave the Jets a chance in Super Bowl III. No one gave the Giants a chance against the undefeated patriots in Super Bowl XLII, and heck Fan Duel paid out Alabama as National Champions this year before the season was over. How’d that turn out?

Rick Sanchez and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Rutter is the arrogant prick. James would thrash him, head-to-head and I would love to see that match. Load it up with sports, wrestling, and gambling categories just to stack against Brad.

From a Q perspective, I think the general public would rather see Ken Jennings vs James Holzhauer. Unless you factor in the hate for Brad, then people like myself would want to see Brad get his posterior handed to him.

Rick Sanchez likes this.
  9. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Came across this video of him on The Chase USA from 2014

10. the pope ondine

starting at 11 mins or so......wow

mrjinks likes this.
  11. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

Beats me, as I left early, so it's all hearsay to me.

It all happened when I started thinking to myself, "Have I stayed too long at the fair?"

So I split, took the Learjet and flew to Saratoga to watch my horse compete in a race, where he won, naturally.

12. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Agreed. But this is possible. I watched a few days ago - in astonishment - as he missed a really easy one. I don't remember the category, but the "answer" was "permanent press" and he said something like "What is stain resistant?", when the answer was "What is wrinkle resistant?".

It seemed so incredibly simple for a guy that manages to pull 6th Century emperor's names without the slightest hesitation. I think the pathway for him to lose is:
    • He bets it all on daily double #1 (in double jeopardy) - this will take him to zero.
    • An opponent then gets the second daily double successfully, doubling their winnings.
    • He finds himself within range on final and misses.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

SCTV once did a funny takeoff on that . Eugene Levy was Alex Trebek hosting a battle between two schools. Everyone kept buzzing in before he finished reading the question and giving the wrong answer. "Alex" kept getting more and more frustrated in that great Eugene Levy way.

14. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

What is "You are nuts"?
    James seems like a nice guy. I'm no gambler, but I'd wager he is having fun with other people he likes.

When I knew Testarossa yesterday, and he didn't, I had fun as well.

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No, not everyone - just Margaret Meehan!

mr. steak likes this.
  16. htom

htom Senior Member

If I recall correctly, each contestant in that sketch displayed one particular quirk: one would ring in and give an answer without waiting for or even hearing the question read out; one would ring in and deny having done so; one had his wife accompanying him as he spoke no English, but she would freeze up upon looking at the camera; one would the answer to the previous question.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

and of course this makes it a Beatles thread
    :D

guppy270 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Make sure to check out Half Wits also. It is a toss up which group is stupider. :)

noname74 likes this.
  19. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have seen him guess incorrectly on '70s pop culture clues. Things you had to live through to really remember; these are also things that would be hard to study since it's not really well organized anywhere (at least from what I have seen).

He is very good at actors and actresses, I have noticed.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

2 different sketches, 6 contestants per sketch. IIRC, only Margaret Meehan carried over between "Hi Q" and "Night School Hi Q".

The "ring in and deny" was "Hi Q". The non-English speaker was "Night School"...

21. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Holzhauer ALMOST lost a daily double today in the double jeopardy round, when he seemed to wait until the last second and guessed "Unleaded" for a question about Gasoline - which happened by chance to be the correct answer. I don't think he bet enough, if he lost that DD to put himself out of the game, but it was uncharacteristic.

22. the pope ondine

a true rarity, I knew one that james (and the other 2) didn't.....double indemnity. wheres my check

23. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Watched the full episodes of the last two shows. The man is a ruthless machine! However, I don't see him (or anybody really) breaking the 74 game record. That's an incredible feat as everybody is bound to have an off night at some point.

24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

In the mail ...

25. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Thanks for using the spoiler feature!
    And he promises that … well … you know....
    :nyah:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.