Has James Holzhauer broken "Jeopardy!"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guy incognito, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I remember Jennings being in jeopardy of losing much more often -- he often needed a correct answer in Final Jeopardy to shut out the opponents. I don't remember Jennings always being "so" far ahead in each game, either. The numbers back that up. His average win haul was much less than James's (so far).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

true but that speaks to James style of going and betting on the daily doubles....which can be dangerous

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

If Ken Jennings were to play now, I wonder if he would select the most expensive clues first. Wasn't he jumping around the board in those games with Watson?

Perhaps a Jennings, Holzhauer plus another former chamption match is already in the works. That'd probably get some great ratings.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Could he be proof of aliens among us? :cool:

5. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

There was an 'All Star Tournament' which aired this season. Although I like Jennings more than Rutter, I think that Brad Rutter is a slightly better player and that Larissa Kelly is better than both.

I think what will be interesting is whether players in next season's shows (this season is almost over) - players who have seen the Holzhauer episodes and have analyzed his style of play - start to emulate him.

GodShifter, Tim S and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Yeah, there was one episode recently (in James' run) where he was doing his usual "from the bottom up" technique and then one of his opponents got a Daily Double. It was pretty apparent, even if you'd only seen James in that one game (like his opponent), that you were going to need to bet big to have a chance. The Daily Double was somewhere in the middle of the board (not one of the two bottom rows) and the guy might have had a chance to stay close if he bet it all. But no, he opted for a very minor bet and then solved the (easy) clue and it didn't help him much at all...

I suspect people may handle things like that differently in future seasons.

Tim S likes this.
  7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Seems like they are putting the daily doubles in the big money now so he'll pick it early and have nothing to double. This has happened last two night.

8. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I think they'll emulate the strategy - but it won't matter much if they can't nail every answer like he can.

9. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Forum Resident

To put things in context (and also because I have fuzzy memories about Jennings' specific wins), I found this interesting 2015 article on how Jennings' run "was never going to be equaled," with some stats about his winnings. Even if James doesn't get there he's already solidified his place in the show's history since he's made so much $$ faster than Jennings did:

Why Ken Jennings’s ‘Jeopardy!’ Streak Is Nearly Impossible To Break

And more stats on Jennings:

Ken Jennings' Final Statistics – The Jeopardy! Fan

Games Played: 75
    Total Winnings: $2,522,700
    Career Batting Average: 0.597
    Triple Stumpers Average: 5.45 (per game)
    Unrevealed Clues Average: 0.48 (per game)

High Game: $75,000 (July 23rd)
    Low Game: $8,799 (November 30th)
    Average Game: $33,727

Correct Responses: 2,693 (including Final Jeopardy)
    Incorrect Responses: 263 (including Final Jeopardy)
    Unforced Errors: 212 (incorrect answer after a buzz-in)
    Most Number of Correct Answers, One Game: 45 (July 20th and 23rd)
    Fewest Number of Correct Answers: One Game: 26 (June 7th, June 28th, October 26th)

Times First In: (Not Including DDs): 2605
    Times First In %age: 61.45% (of all clues read)

Rebounds: 94
    Rebound %age: 41.05% (Times rebounded out of all rebound opportunities)

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Jeopardy doesn't change how things are placed on the board for any reason - let alone to try to intentionally put a specific player at a disadvantage.

If it has happened the last two nights, then that is totally statistically normal. Consider every other daily double that's come up when he's been a contestant - random, and that's why you don't remember a thing about any of those - it's only when a couple of seeming outliers happen we all do "aha!"

11. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

First you have to beat James on the buzzer which I have not seen many do.

Rick Sanchez, daca and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

It certainly didn't matter and he crushed them...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Quakerism

Quakerism Serial number 141467.

As long as Holzhauer remains interested in the game, he will be difficult to beat. One key to his success is his focus which is born out of intense obsessive interest in wagering and winning. If he becomes bored with the process and begins thinking about other avenues to explore, his run might end perhaps prematurely of his own volition. Ironically, the close call he experienced perhaps gave him the endorphin and/or serotonin and/or dopamine rush needed to reinvigorate his interest in the Jeopardy game which he simply uses as a vehicle for satisfying his needs. This “boredom” factor is indeed his Achilles heel.

GodShifter and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

And I've also seen him not buzz in where he doesn't know something, so he's not just an automatic clicker. I'd say he is the closest to a Jeopardy-winning machine there has been without being a Rain Man type savant. He has probably learned from observing an earlier contestant who started at the bottom amounts as well.

Al Kuenster and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. the pope ondine

I agree, and it could be a subtle enough thing that slows him down by a fraction of a second...I don't think he'd consciously throw one but maybe subconsciously. jeopardy is torn, great ratings when this happens but he's raking it in

16. Vanguardsman

Vanguardsman Forum Resident

If these games have all been in the can since February how come we don't know the outcome? Zero leakers? Hard to believe.

Rick Sanchez and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. the pope ondine

jeopardy spoilers? I didn't know that was a thing

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

No one knows Alex's future, but I'm glad he's around to see James do his thing.

19. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

It's about having nerves of steal. I play poker and their are people that don't let the cards or the other players
    influence their confidence, and they usually win.
    He probably intimidates other players and they are too cautious to make quick decisions so they are slower
    with the buzzer and not as sharp mentally. He's got them running scared, you can't win that way. I don't
    watch Jeopardy much anymore, it makes me feel dumb..lol:)

20. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Savant Syndrome

21. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Jeopardy has changed its rules - no more 'shout outs' or personal messages are allowed on the Final Jeopardy answers.

groundharp likes this.
  22. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Season 35 is complete, and they are in the can until September. How it is possible between the losing contestants, audience members, crew, and other potential people in the studio to keep this completely under wraps???

This is ‘Manhattan Project’ type secrecy.

23. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Since when? In the middle of James' current run? :confused:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Didn't Alex mention within the last couple shows that the Teachers Tournament starts next week? Does that signal the end of the season this week? and if so does James' run carry over to next season?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

Rules Change: Shout-Outs No Longer Allowed In Final Jeopardy! – The Jeopardy! Fan

James Holzhauer, on his Facebook page, has announced that shoutouts will no longer be allowed in Final Jeopardy, effective April 29.

Holzhauer said, “Tragic news! The end of a Jeopardy era is upon us on Monday…as the show’s producers have informed me that they’re no longer allowing personal messages in Final Jeopardy. No more shout outs!”

It is yet to be seen what the producers will do if a contestant attempts to defy them and give a shoutout anyway.

Many viewers, even some commenters here at The Jeopardy! Fan, have found the constant shoutouts during Final Jeopardy! over the past few months to be bordering on ridiculous, and while it was fun in moderation, I’m glad to see this practice stopped. (It certainly will make it easier on transcribing for the sake of the recap!)

Jeopardy! - Wikipedia !

Final Jeopardy!
    The Final Jeopardy! round features a single clue. At the end of the Double Jeopardy! round, the host announces the Final Jeopardy! category, and a commercial break follows. During the break, barriers are placed between the contestant lecterns, and each contestant makes a final wager; they may wager any amount of their earnings, but may not wager certain numbers with inappropriate connotations (69, 666, and 1488 are among the forbidden wagers, though 420 is allowed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.