Has James Holzhauer broken "Jeopardy!"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guy incognito, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I don't know where people are getting the won't be back until Fall thing.
    Last nite Alex said the guy would have 2 weeks off due to the teachers tourney.
    Pretty simple.

I guess I'm mystified at the faux outrage over a game show contestant but this is the age of jealousy, hate for hate's sake & all sorts of people without the brains to handle being on the Internet.
    It's very simple, he kicks ass on the other contestants & is calm in a TV studio setting.

Jim N. and spanky1 like this.
  2. Jocko

Jocko Forum Resident

He is a trip! Think if you spent your life trying to on the show, only to find you’re up against him.

Ghostworld and PHILLYQ like this.
  3. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I came across a 2011 article about a Jeopardy fansite. I found this story within the story surprising and interesting. The five day limit on winners continuing onto the next day was eliminated at the beginning of season 20 (September 2003). That was the same season Ken Jennings appeared on the show (first appearance June 2, 2004). I wonder if there are any fans today who are similarly disillusioned or weary of Holzhauer's successful run, especially since he's a professional gambler who approaches the game as he would any other gambling challenge.

Robert Knecht Schmidt, a student from Cleveland, is the man who coded and maintains J-Archive. (He told me that he prefers to be called the site’s “founding archivist”—many people do the nightly transcribing for J-Archive, and “at this point the Archive kind of lives on its own.”) I reached him, initially, through Facebook, where his profile picture was a shot from his own Jeopardy! appearance, last March.

“I’d watched the show since I was 4 years old,” Schmidt told me. “During Ken Jennings’ run, I started following message boards, and there was a woman—Ronnie O’Rourke—who was keeping a record of each show. She called it Jeoparchive. She single-handedly archived Season 20.”

O’Rourke’s AOL-hosted site, which has since vanished from the Internet, began as a resource for contestants preparing to compete on the show, as she had in 2002. In getting herself ready for her appearance, she used “out of date” preparation books published before the advent of the Web. (The one I’d bought used off Amazon had Alex Trebek on the cover with a still-dark mustache.)

O’Rourke’s experience on the show was as thrilling as she’d hoped it would be—she even won an episode—but she grew disillusioned with Jeopardy! during its 20thseason, when Jennings began his record run of 74 consecutive victories. “I don’t want to see anybody up there for weeks and months at a time,” O’Rourke told me. “I think of all the people who could’ve had the pleasure of saying, ‘I’ma Jeopardy! champion.’ ” O’Rourke stopped updating Jeoparchive with the 20th season.

Inside J-Archive, the nearly comprehensive online Jeopardy! archive maintained by obsessive fans.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Brian Mc likes this.
  4. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

My sister-in-law texted me "I thought I was ready for a break from James, but now everybody just seems stupid."

5. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Agree.
    (for clarification, if needed -- we are talking about the Teacher's Tournament that is now on)

Done A Ton and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

He's ba-a-ack!

7. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Beer Milk Shake likes this.
  8. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident

Holzhauer extends 'Jeopardy!' run with $89K day

James (after a two-week break from the series for the Teacher Tournament rounds) continues to chalk up his winning streak tonight, having just won his 23rd straight round! He scored $89,229 for the night and his present winnings stand at $1,780,237!

It is said he only needs to be here for ten more nights to break Ken Jennings' record of $2,520,700 from his 74 games!

~Ben

Al Kuenster likes this.
  9. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

James is closing in on $2,000,000 maybe tonight he will make it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

who would take action on a possible james loss....its gotta happen at some point

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

It will be difficult. But not impossible. Me thinks Jeopardy likes the drama, and LOVES the ratings boost.

Suck it Judge Judy!

* It’s going to happen. To quote Roger Waters, “it only takes one.”
    * You can actually bet on the games.
    * Someone is going to become very rich when James loses.

Rick Sanchez and mrjinks like this.
  12. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Nate almost had him tonight. He went to to toe with him. He should have bet more aggressively when he got the daily double. That was the difference of the game.

13. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident

Luckily, on last night's (Friday) episode he roared back, getting $74,400 for that night! His total earnings to date have now broken the $2 million mark, at $2,065,535! Let's pray he can get $500,000 more!

~Ben

14. the pope ondine

I missed last night, glad I didn't miss the upset,,,,ive noticed james is getting used to his spot on the throne, changing up the way he writes his name, making more jokes lol, soon hes gonna show up in a robe

15. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Trebek is getting bored with his total domination. James often has the game in hand before the first commercial break. The most interesting moments have been when he's answered a question incorrectly. And, Alex wasn't amused when James quipped that being a Jeopardy contestant had become a career choice.

Karnak and Tree of Life like this.
  16. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Let's not.

905 and GodShifter like this.
  17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Not a fan of this guy. I don’t think he’s unlikeable, but his dominance is getting tiresome.

bmasters9, 905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I didn't watch Ken Jennings' 74-win run, so I don't know how people reacted then, but given the 74 days I don't understand why some people are finding Holzhauer's only 26 wins tiresome.

John K.

19. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

I dunno....I kind of like the way he totally demoralize's the opponents will lol

Rick Sanchez, rburly and GodShifter like this.
  20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

whatever he did to prepare for this run he certainly did it right.

can't even imagine knowing so much about so much.

someone will beat him, but i think it will be a fluke: he loses a double jeopardy bet late in the game and then the second place person gets the next question to eke just ahead, bets it all on final jeopardy and gets it right. he will lose in a very close game.

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

how did ken jennings finally lose?

Rick Sanchez and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

This.

Rick Sanchez likes this.
  23. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

To date Holzhauer's run has raised ratings, so I suppose the producers are happy.

You have the people who watch every show. Me and others like me. They are the bedrock of the ratings, but obviously incapable of raising the ratings at all. Then you have people who may watch the show occasionally. Obviously some of those are tuning in now, the show itself on a daily basis isn't enough. They need more of a teaser. Right now they have it.

One of my children, who watches with me regularly, always wants the challengers to win. My child will not like Holzhauer (we're behind on our shows.) Overall, dominance is boring to me. There are many smart players on the show. I feel I could get on Jeopardy and win on a given day. This is actually probably true. Not a long time champion, but there are days where I am better than the contestants. Overall, a player like Holzhauer is less interesting to me than the normal run of the show. But I watch every day, and I actually have to stop watching for it to matter.

guy incognito and wwaldmanfan like this.
  24. Loved Jeopardy growing up, but I haven't watched regularly since the Ken Jennings's days. I've been waiting for someone like James to come along. He's gone and "hacked" Jeopardy's format. He's obviously prepared, but his one big advantage is that most people are still playing the old way. Most people aren't used to his aggressive playing style. If you aren't prepared to take significant risks on the board, you've already lost to him.

You are going to see far more future contestants playing like James unless they change the rules. That being said, he's not unbeatable by any stretch. I suspect he doesn't surpass the consecutive victories record. At some point, he's going to miss a Double Jeopardy that will cost him.

Rick Sanchez and guy incognito like this.
  25. the pope ondine

ive seen a few of his opponents copying his style, starting off with the highest amounts etc....

Dugan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.