Has the "Lord Of The Rings" Movie Trilogy Held Up For You?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mpayan, Sep 13, 2019.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I think not. That would be a huge undertaking like Star Trek and I think that they would want to promote that. But who knows.

Many of the effects and backgrounds really stood out on the blu-rays. So I wonder how it all will blend with all these new scans? Maybe some fixes on the most glaring things?

2. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

That'll be something for me to pick up over the holiday season I think. It Will be interesting to see how it all turns out, hopefully, there will be a documentary or at least a mini-documentary about the process because I'd be interested to see if they re-rendered the visual effects or if they just upscaled and re-composited them or maybe just upscaled the composited images.
    If they've gone back to the camera negatives I think a few things to look out for will be the color grade and if there is any noise reduction implemented. If you look at the BHS discs Peter was definitely more interested in a stylized grade than a naturalistic one which could annoy some.

3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

This quote from the Digital Bits page:
    indicates to me that they just scanned everything in 4K without doing any re-rendering and put it together into a new 4K version of each film

jbmcb and longdist01 like this.
  4. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Probably, In order to redo all the VFX to be true 4k would require the budget of a small feature film.

BeatleJWOL and longdist01 like this.
  5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you Warner Bros for 4K upgrades!

6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

If they have the original files, it would mostly be a matter of just rendering on their existing hardware at the new resolution. Almost everybody uses Pixar's Renderman software, and almost all the textures used are algorithmic "shaders" rather than image file texture maps, and they'll render out to any resolution you can specify.

Since Jackson owns WETA, and all the equipment that was used to render the original films is sitting around while film production is halted, I'd be surprised if he didn't use it to re-render the RIB files at 4K.

Derek Gee and BeatleJWOL like this.
  7. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Hopefully they fix the green tint on Fellowship Of The Rings. That always annoyed me on the current Blu-ray.

Derek Gee, Anthrax and BeatleJWOL like this.
  8. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I've watched the trilogy maybe 3-4 times, including seeing them in the theater upon release. Haven't revisited in awhile, only because I don't want to get to the point where I can speak the lines along with the film ...

I feel it's an absolute masterpiece of cinema. What I couldn't believe was how my mental image from when I read the books, appeared on the screen in front of me. Jawdropping! Made me an instant fan of Peter Jackson (can't wait to see his Beatles documentary, whenever that finally comes out!) I'm hoping that the new version of Dune comes close to that level of realization.

Unknown Delight likes this.
  9. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

It bugs me too. Big time. To the point that I still use the DVD for that one when I watch it.

Derek Gee likes this.
  10. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Same here. Things looked just like I'd imagined from the descriptions in the book and I was blown away by that. So great.

bhazen likes this.
  11. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

You can't just open up a file and click render, for one thing, a lot of the software they used back then has changed and there could be compatibility issues. You'd need to check everything to make sure nothing comes out differently than it did back then. You've got compositing, multiple passes, practical elements, live-action elements, rotoscoping because all of Peter Jackson's stuff has a lot of rotoscope work. Then you've got to decide if you are going to improve shots or try and accurately recreate everything. All of this stuff takes time and money.

12. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Still love the DVDs of the extended cuts. I watched them several times as each of my kids got old enough to appreciate them, and then again at the start of lockdown. I've still read the books more often than watched the movies though. There is too much I love about the books that didn't make it into the movies.

skisdlimit likes this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Extended cuts is the way to go.:agree:

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Blame loud amplifiers .. life of a rnr.
    Subtitles is our friend.

15. SteveRes

SteveRes Forum Resident

Yes. I watch them every Christmas. One of the greatest trilogies ever made.
    Some of the sfx have aged now but the joy of the trilogy is in the characters and the storytelling which is top shelf.

16. The Dark Elf

The Dark Elf Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

The best parts of the movies are those that stuck more closely to the books, as was the dialogue taken directly from Tolkien (even when a different character spoke the words); however, there were far too many unnecessary liberties taken by Jackson and Boyens -- at some points actually detracting from the story and cheapening the characters. I've watched the trilogy several times, but not over the last decade. I can't imagine ever wanting to see them again.

Erik Tracy and GregM like this.
  17. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

The aging of special effects onl6 happens when theyre badly done or if the effects were the main selling point and the plot characters etc were neglected. This is the case with the Hobbit but not LotR

I watched the original Jurassic Park recently. My kids had never seen it. At no point did the age of the movie effects detract from anyones enjoyment of it.

In Fellowship.... the scene in Moria with the cage troll looked likes a computer game graphic at times, but it did when I saw it in the cinema. Moments like that do date it.

bhazen and budwhite like this.
  18. budwhite

19. budwhite

There is only one version released on 4K in December(as far as I know) and it has both theatrical and extended.

Amzn info is crappy as always

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  20. budwhite

21. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

I didn't know he was in the Special Forces and had such a storied history in WWII until I read these accounts of his 'travels' in his obits when he died....it all adds more 'weight' to his characters and persona. Indeed, I always though his characters were very intense and should never be trifled with. Fantastic actor, tons of talent; very, very believable in his films...a credible 'bad guy' but also a well-spoken gentleman with a ton of class.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  22. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Being a big fan of the book I was initially wary of the films and over critical upon seeing them (the first one anyway). Since then I've grown to like them more and more. Even bought the soundtrack CD. A great movie achievement. Shame I can't say the same about the Hobbit films.

Spaghettiows and CDFanatic like this.
  23. johnsiddique

johnsiddique Forum Resident

Read your comment and for a second thought I’d written this then forgotten about it as my experience was exactly this. I forced myself to watch them a few years back as my wife wanted to see them. We watched the looooong versions - dear God...

loved the books - I read them in 1984, and the BBC did the most wonderful audio serial version that I listened to religiously... I guess around that sort of time too. I can see why people like the films but for me the feeling of the books just wasn’t there... and the amount of time the characters seem to spend looking back over their shoulders in slow motion in the movies, we ended up yelling at the screen at one point get on the f@@@ing boat and don’t come back

each to their own of course but what an ordeal

eric777 likes this.
  24. I have the feeling that Peter Jackson did just that during the time it has taken to bring it to 4k. It might be quiet at the moment but later, who knows?

Chris DeVoe likes this.