Have the Rega Planar 6 plinth sagging issues been fixed

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AKA-Chuck G, Jul 24, 2019.

1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Of course, I've seen examples. But products not ready for prime time or that have fatal flaws that develop, say a year into actual use, seem to be a running theme in today's hi-fi market.

avanti1960 likes this.
  2. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

They certainly have, Rega will help, they have excellent customer support, just contact your dealer.

McLover and violetvinyl like this.
  3. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member Thread Starter

I think you will be fine sticking with the P6. I too believe any issue with the plinth was a rare exception where storage or shipping caused a few issues.

Just buy from a reputable dealer and get them to check the plinth before shipping. My Rega P5 is one of the better models and has been fantastic for 15 years. I'd expect similar results with the P6/Neo combo. The P6 is good enough to support any $1500 cartridge and reveals the differences. It certainly would not be a bottleneck turntable for most setups.

4. Can you expand on how storage or shipping causes the sagging?

5. AKA-Chuck G

No. It's just a guess but now I am leaning toward just a bad design.

Remember, I started this thread hoping to get to the bottom of the P6 possible issue. I've since decided my older P5 is worth keeping. Rega, I hope, gets away from their current plinth design. I wouldn't want a TT that could warp over time. I would ask Rega to trade you up to the P8 for a little more, just for the trouble.

I would jump up to the P8 or consider other options. I really like the Clearaudio Concept with the Satisfy arm packages. Or you could buy a P5, which I see the asking price is more than I paid 15 years ago. :uhhuh:

6. Helom

Helom Forum member

Get a Technics SL1200 or 1210GR. I’m normally a belt-drive guy (my other table is a $4K setup) but these new Technics with the core-less motors go a long way in bridging the gap between the belt-drive and direct-drive strengths. I can’t imagine a better table for the money.

7. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

It’s tempting. But I’d really like a factory mounted cartridge. And the DJ looks of the Technics turn me off. I know that’s stupid. I own that. But it’s the truth!

AKA-Chuck G likes this.
  8. AKA-Chuck G

I can, the Clearaudio Concept with dealer mounted cartridge of your choice.

There is nothing stupid about it.

CBackley likes this.
  9. Helom

Helom Forum member

Maybe were it not for the Concept tonearm.

10. AKA-Chuck G

I know but I would go up to the Satisfy black or Satisfy Carbon arm. It would be worth it for the better internal wiring that comes with this package.

11. Helom

Helom Forum member

I suppose of you’re forced to go with a factory-mounted cartridge, Rega is probably the best choice, since the three-point mounting would make it difficult for their workers to screw up the alignment.

12. AKA-Chuck G

And are you sure the Concept tonearm is not as good as the Technics tonearm? Conjecture.

13. Helom

Helom Forum member

But those cost a decent chunk more than a GR, and given how close the GR competes to my Acoustic Signature, I have doubts the Clearaudio would sound superior.

McLover likes this.
  14. Helom

Helom Forum member

Yes, magnetic bearings are a poor choice for a tonearm.

15. AKA-Chuck G

That's a pretty snarky remark. Any dealer will mount any cartridge to any table. If not, find another dealer. I've never used a Rega cartridge with over 25 years of use and 5 or 6 different brands. I like the hands on approach. Same thing with the Clearaudio MM that comes with the Clearaudio Concept. There are much better choices. Also, when buying a new table you will often get a good deal on a step up cart.

16. AKA-Chuck G

Again, conjecture. Plus you are thread crapping a little here. The OP already said he doesn't like the Technics. :buttkick:

17. Helom

Helom Forum member

He solicited recommendations for an alternative to Rega. I offered an alternative, then you chimed in suggesting the Clearaudio is superior which is also conjecture on your part.

18. AKA-Chuck G

19. AKA-Chuck G

I didn't say anything about Technics being inferior to anything. You brought up the Technics, he said he didn't like it. But you go on and on cutting down my suggestion.

20. Helom

Helom Forum member

You linked to the platter bearing, jeesh.

As tonearm bearings, they are indeed a major compromise - low friction in exchange for poor mechanical stability. Why do you suppose their higher-end arms don’t rely on them if they’re so great?

KT88 likes this.
  21. Helom

Helom Forum member

Your suggestion was snarky as well bud.

22. AKA-Chuck G

And if you are talking about the below comment about. That's just plain silly.

23. Helom

Helom Forum member

As are you

24. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

The Technics SL1500C comes with a pre-mounted (albeit entry-level) cartridge and does not have the "DJ" features on deck.

Lucca90 and CBackley like this.
  25. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

What’s a better setup for the Clearaudio Concept: the standard Concept tonearm with the Concept MC cart, or the Satisfy tonearm with a MM cart (possibly the Concept MM)? I saw that Elusivedisc, for one, will install a cartridge of your choice with the Satisfy tonearm.