Has Yoko ever commented on the unseen 1980 Lennon music videos?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Would be very interested to hear this, and is the' unreleased video ' readily available ?

2. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

Any more comments on "Streets of Love?" Never heard of that one.

3. Zebonka

Zebonka Well-Known Member

It's described as "Street of Dreams" in the recent book about Double Fantasy. According to Jack Douglas there was no proper recording of it - it was demo'd onto a cassette and never seen again.

4. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

God this dude is a no talent hack... I advise one and all to avoid clicking on this link...

5. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

This is kind of the bottom line. I'm going to take Yoko at her word in this instance.

6. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Not only Yoko, this is the story everyone who was there has told.

7. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

Hi,

Can't find another place to state this ..

Just have to say 'Double Fantasy stripped' is now one of my equal first favorite albums, this grading is imoveable, and puts it out of the realms of my constantly sliding scale of favorite albums.

Anyway ..

Cheers,

Greg.

linclink likes this.
  8. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

Just thought I'd give this a bump to see if one has anything else to add to this legendary thread!

9. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

Any news on this?

10. StephMess78

StephMess78 Forum Resident

mc7t, helter and monkboughtlunch like this.
  11. monkboughtlunch

Thanks for that link UnionGeneral! Those two screen capture images of John are new to me and appear to be from video shot of John on August 18-19, 1980 at The Hit Factory!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Furthermore, John's attire in the screen captures above that you found online is consistent with the below infographic I produced and posted here back in 2010 when I speculated on what John was wearing for the unreleased Hit Factory videotape session. This suggests that at least some of the footage or insert shots of John survived and were not destroyed. It will be interesting to see if the full footage of John ever surfaces or is released.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    elvissinatra, heatherly and helter like this.
  12. helter

helter Forum Resident

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  13. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

You know, you guys can always ask Yoko on her Twitter! She has been known to respond at times.

14. monkboughtlunch

Hi Jorg,

Are these newly surfaced video screen captures of John at The Hit Factory from the "tape 1" footage (of John's songs) that "X" has -- or are they John's insert shots from "tape 2" (which also contains Yoko's songs)? See below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. helter

helter Forum Resident

Is john wearing a hat?

16. monkboughtlunch

I've enlarged and brightened the low resolution screen captures below to bring out a bit more detail. Yes, looks like a hat of some sort. He also appears to have headphones on and is perhaps in the vocal isolation booth.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. helter

helter Forum Resident

It looks like the same hat Yoko was wearing maybe?
    Yellow baseball style ?

linclink likes this.
  18. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

Wow! great find. So this clip really exist.

19. helter

helter Forum Resident

Monk
    Jorg, hasn't logged onto Hoffman in almost 4 years doesn't look good for a response ?

20. monkboughtlunch

This transcript from the Jack Douglas Double Fantasy "hidden mic audio tapes" that were recorded during the night of the video shoot captured Lennon talking about putting a hat on, as well as headphones. Transcript from the DF Mystery page.

======================
    Transcript:

John and the band play "Dream Lover" & "Stay", but soon John stops.
    John : "No, I'm a spoiled sport. If I can't reach the note we have to stop."
    Earl Slick : "I was just enjoying myself."
    John : "Yeah, I know. It's terrible isn't it. We're having fun and we're not allowed to."
    John to Earl Slick : "What you in?"
    Earl Slick "Key?"
    John : "Ha. Ha. I hear you."
    Earl Slick : "You know what I'm talking about."
    John : "What key are we in?"
    Earl Slick : "The one from the other night."
    John : "Enough of that.....key, key, key??"
    John and the band launch into "Mystery Train", while a playback of
    "I'm Losing You" is heard in the background.
    John : "Can we put on the headphones yet?"
    Jay Dubin : "Yeah, the phones are on."
    John : "I mean, am I allowed to put them on? Nothing dangerous is gonna..."
    "If it's a funny buzz, put it on a separate track, it might be great."
    John : "Yes, sir. I can't wait to overdub. All by meself one afternoon."
    Jay Dubin : "OK. Are we ready? Bring the studio lights up."
    John : "Hear them notes?" John plays the "I'm Losing You" riff. "God it's great."
    "Is Fred back yet?" " I want to be putting a cap on, because by the time this goes out,
    I'll have different hair and we might want to fake it. So it's just a white baseball cap
    and if it gives you a problem, f*** it, we'll just leave the hair, but otherwise it would
    be nice if we can, 'cause then you can't really tell what it is."

===============

And the new surfaced video screen capture below is consistent with the above transcript, and the clothing Lennon wore is consistent with the known photo taken outside the Hit Factory earlier that evening.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  21. monkboughtlunch

Note that Lennon apparently performed with the Sardonyx guitar in the video shoot. (Not his red Strat or Rickenbacker)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. monkboughtlunch

It may be that those screen captures are from the close up insert shots done after the primary shooting given that he put on a cap -- apparently after primary shooting occurred per the transcripts. Were the inserts recorded on the videotape with Yoko's performances used in the A&E special--or the missing tape with John's performances?

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There's always the chance that Yoko doesn't want the tapes out because Lennon's performance in them isn't very good, and there's no way to edit the material in such a way as to make it work. I know of tons and tons of footage for different artists where it just sucks and is basically unreleasable. Yoko strikes me as a very organized person from a business point of view, and I'd guarantee you she has people maintaining a fairly together library, all indexed with a detailed database.

I get that fans want everything released, but bear in mind some of it doesn't show the artists at their best, some of it is poorly shot, a lot of it's incomplete, or it just sucks. Or there might be 1 solid good minute inside 17 hours of horrible material. You never know.

showtaper, theMess and zphage like this.
  24. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

Wow!..Those screen shots have made my day :).

At least we know that the footage is (hopefully) out there in some form.

Cheers for the update.

gswan likes this.
  25. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Isnt the guy from that BeatlesonDVD website a member here? Could he explain how he got these screenshots? Man, it would really neat to see this stuff!

helter and gswan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.