Has Yoko ever commented on the unseen 1980 Lennon music videos?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elvissinatra

elvissinatra Forum Resident

linclink likes this.
  2. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

Hi..
    Yes i will try and pm Chrystalhead regarding the lennon video and see if i can any more information..needless to say, I'll post any updates here. ☺

theMess and linclink like this.
  3. And the plot thickens...

As this... https://www.google.com/search?q=Ian+Levine&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

uncovered these...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Levine
    https://www.facebook.com/IanGeoffreyLevine

theMess likes this.
  4. Thanks to mc7t for checking deeper...anyone up for trying to contact Mr. Levine? I'd nominate "monkboughtlunch" as our chief detective around here myself!! And here's those brilliant screen shots of Lennon from the shoot that were our last big break in August (see Page #22 of this thread for the originals)!!

theMess likes this.
  5. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

If we're seeing stills SOMEONE has to have the video!!!! This has been some thread. One that I have enjoyed following close to 4 years now. It would be awesome if a SH member uncovers it.

linclink and theMess like this.
  6. Like I said I'm rooting for "monkboughtlunch" to be the one!! And I think that, obviously, for the documentary, that the estate supplied official video footage, but the recent stills... I wondering if those have come from other, non-estate/unofficial sources that have copies of the tape.

heatherly likes this.
  7. bward

bward Senior Member

Is it possible that the Lennon Estate/Yoko doesn't have a copy of this?
    Wouldn't this have been released for one of the anniversaries at some point over the last 34 years?
    It seems to me that the Lennon Estate/Yoko has been searching for stuff to release most years, and this would be an obvious candidate for release as part of yet another boxed set, or a new documentary.
    It's hard for me to understand why the Lennon Estate/Yoko might be sitting on this while re-releasing the same material over and over again.
    I know the story that John didn't like the way he looked in the original video, but after 34 years would the Lennon Estate/Yoko still feel beholden to John's 34 year old wishes? When this video was made there was every expectation that there would be plenty of time and opportunity to create new videos. Who could fault John with looking at these images and realizing he needed a makeover? But now that this is all that there is, the video is historic. No one cares what John looks like, just that there he is, alive, singing, and playing. Glorious stuff. I can't believe the Lennon Estate/Yoko doesn't understand this. So maybe they don't even have a copy of the tape. Is that possible?

8. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

It may be possible that she/estate doesn't have it but I can't fathom that one quick phone call from YO or Elliot Mintz requesting it would not produce this. I think she enjoys the mystique of it being this 34 year old mystery.

9. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

Hi..
    Just to keep everyone updated..
    I did send the poster on queenzone a pm last night regarding the double fantasy video, but as of yet, i haven't had a reply.
    It seems (as usual) that things have got a little heated regarding Chrystalheads post and it appears she has posted her last post on those boards.
    If i hear nothing today, i will try another pm to her and see if i can get her to join this forum instead..I'll tell her it's more friendly here :).
    Cheers and hopefully have some more information soon.

linclink likes this.
  10. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

That's the guy who's notorious in old school Doctor Who fan/pro circles.

He has a rep for kicking off on Twitter & forums - & apparently had a stroke last August so prob not a good idea to hassle him about this.

Was heavily involved in Doctor Who lost episode recovery at one point
    (iirc he made money from being a Northen Soul DJ then later producing Hi-NRG records, and was manager or something for Take That around their first album or so) - became a fan expert/insider in the 80s to the point of working for/advising people working on the programme, appeared in press coverage/tv documentaries, & was also involved in producing extras for the official classic series dvds.

Over the years he's managed to annoy people working on the dvd range and responsible for the relaunch, other people involved in 'lost television recovery (may have exaggerated how much episode recoveries were down to just him & not acknowledging other people's involvement), and other fans for giving them a bad image (can't find it online but there's an old bit of press coverage that got reprinted in Doctor Who magazine of him next to a tv set he'd claimed to have just kicked in out of disgust of the BBC's treatment of the programme. He's also responsible for this )

He's completeist enough to have hired unpaid fans + (paid) ex-cast members to complete unfinished stories and extend short segments originally done as part of other programmes into full episodes for his private collection.

There's been long term rumours of him hoarding 'lost episodes' but nothing substantiated except for keeping one thing back for possible use as trade bait. Haven't heard anything about him being a collector/tape hoarder outside of Doctor Who (but haven't really heard anything about him outside of Doctor Who focused circles).

Ben Adams and linclink like this.
  11. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

For those interested, TLAWR should be available soon.

12. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

What is this Long and Winding Road film?

13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I had one of those!

14. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

It's the original shorter movie version of what became of The Beatles Anthology TV series, made in 1970, and unseen. In 1980 the former Beatles were making plans to freshen it up with a filmed reunion of some sort and release it, but it never happened, of course.

theMess and Brother Maynard like this.
  15. Jackstar74

Jackstar74 Forum Resident

absolutely interested!

16. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Just to remind everyone, The Beatles were intending to do something new for the movie, an interview, a performance, a chat, something, but they never actually did it.

17. Jackstar74

Supposedly all four of them signed a letter of intent to "reunite." As to the above, this reuniting did not necessarily mean perform/record music.

linclink likes this.
  18. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Ian Levine is definately quite a character. If anyone has this video he does.

theMess, linclink and Jerry Horne like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I always thought that it meant they were going to all go to the same tailor to get their trousers re-fitted.

;) Arnie

linclink likes this.
  20. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

If Ian had it then he made a copy of it. The man's archives are the stuff of legend.

21. Jackstar74

Well, it was always about their trousers! They were....very tight

22. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Wouldn't it be a hoot if it had been released as an extra on the DVD or Bluray of The Rutles?

linclink likes this.
  23. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

There is a 1974 Lennon appearance on The Today Show where I thought John was talking about the 'Long and Winding Road' film, as if it has yet to be realized. Am I remembering this right, was it ever 'completed'?

24. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

No, it was never finished, always open ended, until finally it turned into Anthology.

theMess likes this.
  25. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

The 5-minute video from 1980 which is the source of those screencaps was supposed to be released on DVD, along with other stuff. Hopefully it will be available soon.

linclink likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.