Has Yoko ever commented on the unseen 1980 Lennon music videos?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Where did you read this? Could you provide a link to the source?

2. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

It was mentioned months ago at a message board. The screencaps come from the booklet of a 2-CD set of unreleased Lennon recordings, and the same label will also release "The Long And Winding Road" documentary on DVD.

linclink likes this.
  3. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

It's 7-8 minutes, and the audio of it doesn't sound too promising for what the content of the video could be. But it's still from The Tape, the holy grail, so ANY second is more than we could ever wish for. The audio consists of a lot of breakdowns, and as described years ago, even over here, this are cutaway shots, mainly close-ups etc. The latter fact, plus the duration, also leads me to believe that this is probably from the Yoko tape, which we know survives.

theMess and linclink like this.
  4. Zebonka

Zebonka Well-Known Member

Been a few months, any more movement at the station?

5. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

What are the chances that when Y.O. eventually passes away (although I think she and Paul have this Cold War-ish duel to outlive the other), this video and who knows else may start appearing in public?

6. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Yeah I suspect Yoko is much, much more protective of their archive material than Sean will be, if only because he was so young when it all happened.

7. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

8. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks! Awesome! I wonder if the other tape survived or only these insert shots.

Lost In The Flood and Yorick like this.
  9. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this. It's a revelation, the first surviving morsel that we know of.

Lost In The Flood and Yorick like this.
  10. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

What you can see of John, he looks good.

linclink likes this.
  11. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Yes, I hope the story that the footage was destroyed because John didn't like his appearance is false. There is audio that exists where at one point John says "I know what I look like -- like a f---ing bird!" .

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Except for that white hat.

13. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

That Revolver guy has some great videos.

jeatleboe likes this.
  14. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I swear, I wouldn't be surprised if we're seeing Hamburg Footage overlayered with a Revolver TV logo by Christmas!

:pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    Fullbug, bagofsoup and Chuckee like this.
  15. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

Maybe "House Of The Rising Sun" :shh:

16. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Revolver Records used to be a store in NYC that was one of the best places for 'rare imports.' According to this guy's FB he's the same Revolver.

theMess, AndyNicks, bagofsoup and 5 others like this.
  17. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I went there all the time in the '80s. :righton:

CmoonL7 and applejam101 like this.
  18. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

Miss that place so bad. And It's Only Rock 'n' Roll.

CmoonL7 and vamborules like this.
  19. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I think both were the same place, just under different names.

20. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

Not nearly 'nuff said! But this is FABULOUS!!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

:pineapple:

21. WOW!! FINALLY!!
    Here's hoping that this is the teaser/tip of the iceberg... I know there isn't a lot here/there, but... I'm guessing that more may surface later this year & that this is the first of it...hopefully they'll just let out what little they might have. My understanding is that the filming was for both "I'm Losing You" & "Give Me Something"...interesting if it really is the earlier Cheap Trick arrangement, which honestly I doubt it is...just think it was easier for them to link up what they had here with the Cheap Trick & Tony Levin vid from the Lennon Anthology release... my bet is that the real arrangement they were playing, was more like the album... love to really hear Lennon too- looks like he bashing around the guitar a la the ending of "I Don't Wanna Face It"!!

Lost In The Flood and bagofsoup like this.
  22. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

No. They were a few doors down from each other on W.8th. Pretty sure they were competitors, but I could be wrong.

23. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

As did I in from the mid 90s until he closed sometime around 2002 or so. Had great stuff but the guy wasn't very friendly.

theMess and bagofsoup like this.
  24. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

This appears to be just one take (maybe 2 - the shots of George Small on keyboards). Do we know if there was more than 1 camera for the shoot? Or maybe multiple takes from various points of view? I haven't tied this back to the screencaps to see if this is "it" or if there's more to be seen.

linclink likes this.
  25. No idea on the details, but my hope about this being just a teaser/tip of the iceberg seems to be being confirmed here...

BEATLEFAN Magazine just posted this on Facebook: "Look what's surfaced! Footage of Lennon doing "I'm Losing You" at the Hit Factory in 1980. And word is that there's much more to come!"
    https://www.facebook.com/Beatlefanmagazine?fref=ts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.