Hate the Artist, Love the Song!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hayden10538, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

No Excuses! That's funny. Alice is one helluva dirgey band. Maybe "Again," a single from the Three-legged Dog album? Sean the drummer is keeping a fast time. But I don't think they don't have an equivalent of Soundgarden's "Drawing Flies."

2. U-Funk

U-Funk Active Member

GG def lost him loads of fans, I think David Bowie (and Suzi Quatro) also went with the plastic soul kinda thing, Gary just wasn’t great at it - although I do like GG, it’s not what the fans (or myself) really wanted. Silver Star came out in 77, and only sold a small number of copies, it’s a pretty solid Mike Leander production, a bit less stress on the stomping kinda sound, but its got some great tracks ("Haven’t I seenYou Somewhere Before" should have been a single) worth seeking out. Let me know how you get on!

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. JimJimFalls

JimJimFalls Forum Resident

That Ted Nugent is a real jerk!

4. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Jefferson Airplane - "Volunteers"

5. I don't take that kind of risk. Before I listen to a song by a new artist I first read a biography. :nyah:

showtaper and Jarleboy like this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't have the LP but I used to. I only have the first two LPs and his 70s hit singles, but because of later events I just can't bring myself to play them anymore. I loved those records though and saw him live in the early 90s, which was great!

It must be awful for the long time big fans like yourself because it's all so badly tainted now. I was born in 1974 so I was a Adam Ant fan who got into all the glam rock stuff later. My mum and aunties had loads of glam rock 45s between them that I played loads as a kid, including the B-sides. T. Rex, Bowie, Slade, Sweet, Glitter, Roxy Music etc. A great era for pop.

I would pick up Silver Star if I saw it very cheap somewhere.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    U-Funk and Jarleboy like this.
  7. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

It's very traumatic. I heard a Dead song on the radio (not Shades of Gray), sounded like Stephen Stills or something. The DJ ID'ed it afterwards. Great tune. Maybe there's more. But I just cannot go down that rabbit hole.

showtaper likes this.
  8. Cynthia Tebbetts

Cynthia Tebbetts Forum Resident

GG Allin was great until alcohol won the battle. Not drugs as popular belief will tell you. Kevin was a great guy with a great punk rock voice. His first album (with The Jabbers) is a classic. The Jabbers later released an album after his death (early 2000's) that is also a classic.

Sadly GG was a severe alcoholic, not a druggie. If you ever met him, as I have. He was a great guy

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. Power Windows

Power Windows Forum Resident

U2 - New Years Day

Nothing wrong with U2 but that is the only song that I love from them.

10. Power Windows

Power Windows Forum Resident

They have much faster songs like Dam That River for example.

MrGrumpy likes this.
  11. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

So far, the fastest song of theirs I have heard. However, definitely no Spin the Black Circle. My friend said "but that isn't their style" and I remarked "I didn't know speeding up the tempo occasionally was a style." Man, what a miserable band. Not only slow and samey but I am certain the lyrics have enabled many a heroin addict.

12. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

:confused:Or scared them straight. Mind you, first time I heard Dirt I couldn't wait to stick a needle in my arm. So you must be into something.

13. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

From my 7 years of working at a rehab I have found that heroin addicts commonly listen to down and out "I suck, life sucks, heroin is the devil and it has me" music when they are active in their addiction. I've had many say it is a comfort to their addiction to listen to something like Hurt by Johnny Cash (or anything by Alice in Chains) because it means others know how they feel and it helps lessen their cognitive dissonance because the music is hopeless, hence why I say it enables them. Layne Staley and Mike Starr's demise further hammer in the hopelessness. I would say the music is like watching the TV show Intervention in that it may be useful to prevent use (scared straight), but for current users it is a trigger. Either way, for me they are one of the least useful bands of the 90's. Can't rock out, can't relate, can't tell the songs apart.

14. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Jethro Tull - "Locomotive Breath"

15. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

I don't like Elvis but like Old Shep & "In the ghetto". I also like Willie Nelson's version of "Always on my mind" & the Pet Shop Boys version of "Can't help falling in love with you".

16. Stu54

Stu54 Well-Known Member

It was utterly justified. I saw him in London in concert about 12 years ago and he was magnificent, leaping around the stage as if he was a teenager, reeling off hit after hit. Transcendent experience and I’m happy he’s now found some peace.

17. Stu54

Stu54 Well-Known Member

I wasn’t a Smiths fan, but I’ve adored that song for ever. Great lyrics, wonderfully dry delivery, fabulous guitar, drums and orchestration. Chrissie Hynde has a beautiful voice, but Morrisey’s version is much tougher and more cynical.

18. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

The antichrist, Mariah Carey. But her Christmas single is damn perfect. After the intro anyway.

Edit: add Chris DeBurgh to that too...

19. U-Funk

U-Funk Active Member

I was really young when I first heard/ saw GG on TOTP, didn’t like pop music before that - his performance (and esp the band & the SOUND) changed my mind, I was blown away. Saw him live first time in 76, then all through 80’s 90’s - great shows every time. After all the **** happened it took me YEARS to listen to him again, and now do so occasionally. I still love the sound of those records, and although we can all justify listening to it now in a way ("it was Mike Leander that played and composed all blah blah blah...") GGs public “persona” is all over those records. I kinda think of him as a work of fiction now, maybe to erase the real scumbag behind the image I don’t know. I wonder what fans of Pete Townsend, Bill Wyman, etc etc feel about their listening habits... cos those guys just didn’t get prosecuted/caught/hounded the way Mr Gadd did.

And, if a spare copy of Silver Star turns up amongst my collection (stranger things have happened) I’ll let you know

Jarleboy and Man at C&A like this.
  20. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

I really like Ted Nugent, but hate "Stranglehold"

Just kidding, I just felt like being controversial. :laugh:

"Stranglehold" is a good tune, and I'm impartial to Ted.

My real answer is "Don't Drink the Water" by Dave Mathews Band. I have a thing for banjos in rock songs.

21. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Why does a hipster wearing a Morrissey t-shirt bug me more than some old redneck wearing a Nugent t-shirt?

22. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Creep - Radiohead

23. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Rolf Harris - Two Little Boys

A cheesy and naff song that I still seem to like 40+ years after hearing it as a small child.
    I don't know if it is just nostalgia or just a lump in the throat moment or maybe this song actually is good but I still enjoy it anyhow and whilst I don't know the artist his crimes are not very pleasant.

Jarleboy and Man at C&A like this.
  24. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Thriller

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

I very much dislike everything I’ve ever heard of Blur, but Damien Albarn hired Mark E Smith for this, which was great. To Mark’s fans and friends, it was just like it was one of his own The Fall gig jobs (hopefully much better paid) - laughing at the guitarist dressed as a sailor, reading the words from a piece of paper, fiddling with the musicians’ amp knobs. He also didn’t know it was going to be on TV, according to his friend Ed, who told him afterwards it’d been beamed out to millions, to Smith’s surprise and indifference.

Gorillaz: glitter freeze (Glastonbury 2010)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.