Hate the Artist, Love the Song!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hayden10538, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

Wilco – “One Sunday Morning (Song for Jane Smiley’s Boyfriend)”

conjotter likes this.
  2. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Dead Flowers - the Rolling Stones

MOE DOLLAZ likes this.
  3. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

Mostly anything by Katy Perry-she can't sing but damn thems hooks is catchy!

hangwire13, Sean and Mr. Explorer like this.
  4. Nintari

Nintari Forum Resident

I have never loved a song and hated the artist because I'm an artist supporter, not a song supporter. For me to get into an artists music, I have to admire the artist first. If I hear a song that I think is good and later find out that it was manufactured etc., I'm totally out. I just can't support that sort of thing.

5. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

6. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Bowland likes this.
  7. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I find it dificult to like a song by an artist I dislike. The same with litterature or art. I don't read books by authors I don't like. What I dislike will be there in the text. It's kind of mystical. Phil Spector is such a looney and he did some unlucky things, but I kind of like him anyway and love his ways with music. It does not have to be a political correct flawless person. Rather not.

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

9. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Hate is much too strong a word. but I never thought I'd love a song by this artist:

MOE DOLLAZ and Dudley Morris like this.
  10. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

LarsO likes this.
  11. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

REM-'Losing My Religion' and I will also include 'What's the Frequency Kenneth'.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  12. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

I've got a question for you crazies:

What happens if you hear a song playing, you have no idea who wrote and performed the
    tune and you absolutely love it. Later you find out that it was written and/or performed by
    someone you detest.

Does your head immediately explode? Or does your brain do a 180 and now you can't listen
    to that song anymore?

ARK, Ivan Aaron, Jarleboy and 3 others like this.
  13. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Surprised you weren't taken by his first solo single, Suedehead. It's a classic by anyone's standards.

14. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Awwww come on. Eydie rocks. Admittedly, her sound can be a bit generic - she doesn't necessarily have a unique vocal style that really stands out but she is a very solid singer and with the right material, her natural enthusiasm comes through. I am particularly fond of her Latin stuff and especially the albums she did with Trios Los Panchos. I could listen to those forever.

Jarleboy and Dudley Morris like this.
  15. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

Not a big fan of Lawrence Welk, but they really nailed "Sister Ray" :p

16. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Gino Vanelli's Black Cars. The man who gave sappiness a bad name wrote and recorded a rocker out of the blue.

17. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I have no use for anything else they did, but "More Than a Feeling" by Boston is a GREAT song

Bowland likes this.
  18. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

"Finish What Ya Started", Van Halen.
    "Killer Queen", Queen.
    "Who's Crying Now?", Journey.

19. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

It's not just "the hooks'......

Vinyl_Blues, Steve Carras and Comet01 like this.
  20. Minstrel Boy

Minstrel Boy Forum Resident

My feelings regarding Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys have ranged from indifference to outright hostility, and I'm afraid that's never going to change. But I just discovered this song, and holy crap, what a thing of genius and beauty. Puts me in mind of Charles Ives.

chacha likes this.
  21. hayden10538

hayden10538 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

It just does nothing for me!

I've been able to avoid most of The Smiths songs through sheer disinterest. But, I recently heard one of their songs on the radio, called Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want and, despite myself, I found it to be quite an affecting tune. I must be getting old! Perhaps my hatred is being dimmed by the absolute tuneless tosh that seems to be clogging up the charts today!

I think the fact that EILS's video was filmed in my home town, made me actually seek it out, rather than avoid his stuff as I usually would've. The fact that it was also a good song helped it stick in my head, but I think if he'd filmed the video elsewhere, I might not have bothered to seek it out!

That's what happened to me with Bieber's Love Yourself. When I first heard it, I didn't know it was by him. He sings in a lower register, so I didn't recognise the voice, I just liked the song! When I eventually found out it was by him, I was torn between my hatred for the annoying git, and my love for the song.

I've come to the conclusion that the song wins out. Despite my hatred for the artist, if I like a song, I like a song, doesn't matter who it's by. Doesn't mean I have to like or listen to their other stuff

Jarleboy and sparkmeister like this.
  22. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Junior Walker!

PyroMessiah, Suncola and Jackson like this.
  23. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I don't like that version as much, even though i like Junior Walker a lot, and can't stand Foreigner.:)

24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

You don't like his sax solo?
    It's fantastic.

25. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Ted Nugent - [Amboy Dukes] Journey to the Center of the Mind.

ARK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.