Hate the Artist, Love the Song!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hayden10538, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DamageCase77

DamageCase77 Well-Known Member

Ted Nugent "Stranglehold". Can't stand the man or anything ridiculous thing he stands for.

2. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

i can't stand anything by madonna, ever.. she has no talent at all, and can't sing at all..

however, once she got into techno and trance, some of the remixes from ray of light were actually decent..

case in point, the 'sky fits heaven(sasha remix)'... it took william orbit, and tons of dj's to make her sound relevant, and actually
    worth listening to.. i will never listen to the album, but the remixes are decent.. ( i just have to pretend its someone besides madonna)..

later

3. SonyTek

SonyTek Forum Resident

Um, yeah - for me it's The Cure, Friday I'm In Love.

Love the song, can't stand the group (visually and otherwise).

4. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Pink Floyd - Learning To Fly
    Led Zeppelin - D'yer M'ker
    Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells A Story
    Heart - Hijynx
    Madonna - Open Your Heart
    Van Halen - Ain't Talking 'Bout Love

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  5. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

R.E.M. - Man in the Moon

6. Rob P S

Rob P S Senior Member

Metallica - Enter Sandman
    Queen - My Best Friend
    Linkin Park - One Step Closer
    Limp Bizkit - My Way
    Lit - My Own Worst Enemy
    Def Leppard - Photograph

7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Oh, yes, the hooks. I suppose that could be the reason I don't dislike her. Yeah, I'm thinking that must be it.

Steve Carras likes this.
  8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I never cared for George Michael and yet, there's Faith-a-faith-uh!

9. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

I'm not a big fan either, but I like "Chasing Pavements" which I think was her first US hit? I don't care for the material she does, but she has a great female voice. Maybe Ann and Nancy Wilson could lead her astray to some harder edged material?

10. John54

John54 Senior Member

I didn't like much I heard from Stump but Charlton Heston is an exception:

11. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

This is the only one I like too. Never got into Nugent. Maybe you had to be there? :)

12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

It's a slippery slope to stop listening to or liking artists because they're screwed up in some way. One could make a strong argument that the more gifted they are, the more screwed up they become. And certainly the more popular they are, although that doesn't always go hand-in-hand with gifted.

I love Miles, but he was a total **** 95% of the time.

13. Yeah I'm not a George Michael fan but all of his singles are catchy as heck and I enjoy them.

14. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I hate Van Hagar immensely, but I actually like this song:

I must be a complete pansy

15. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Some interesting choices in this thread, especially as some folks are listing the song they like as something that's pretty characteristic of the artist--meaning that they have a number of other songs that are pretty similar. It makes me curious to know in more detail just what it would be about some of the songs in question that's appealing to the person contra similar songs.

16. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

can't stand dido, either, what a lame name, and horrible songs...

however, this deep dish remix redeems 'hello', (and they would do it again for her with 'stoned'):

later

mbrownp1 and Lightworker like this.
  17. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

When I first pulled up this post, I thought it said "dil*o" and wondered how anybody could say that Steely Dan had any "horrible songs"!

18. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Hunting?

ARK and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  19. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

"Hate" is a bit strong, but I am definitely not a big fan of REO Speedwagon (though I've always thought they were a bunch of really good dudes). When they play this though, they shine as brightly as any of the best bands of the Rock era. Play it loud:

20. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

REO Speedwagon - Roll With The Changes

I don't like anything else from them that I've heard.
    Gary Richrath's tone sounds fantastic on that song!

ARK likes this.
  21. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

I can't even deal with that song, knowing how misguided and stupid he is. He would be perfect on the show "Duck Dynasty", but even THEY probably wouldn't give him the chance.

CassetteDek likes this.
  22. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I've loved a lot of Springsteen songs for years and I just can't stand him now. I'm sorry now that he got to put out a third album let alone a fourth, that he wasn't dropped by the label as they planned to before Born To Run.
    His second was his best anyway. He's a rich, egocentric has-been.

23. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Bob Dylan - Lay Lady Lay

ARK and Cynthia Tebbetts like this.
  24. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Sounds like really hard work.

25. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Like many here, I don't do hate but there's a whole bunch of performers whose music leaves me cold but for the odd track:

Frank Sinatra - It Was A Very Good Year. Never understood crooning but this sounds like a comedian doing a pastiche. It's so miserable, it's hilarious.

Van Halen - Dance The Night Away. Hadn't heard much by VH & someone (think it might have been Godshifter) suggested I was missing out so I gave their first few records a blast. Turns out they weren't for me after all but this song is a blast. Curious to see VH turn up several times on this thread but always with a different song.

The Beatles - I've Just Seen a Face. Given how many bands I love cite them as an influence, it's ridiculous that I struggle with Liverpool's finest but I don't think I've ever managed to get through a single side of a album without being bored witless. However, I first heard this song by the great Swansea bluegrass band Up The Creek which led me to The Dillards & eventually back to the Beatles. And even their version I enjoy!

Blackfoot - Morning Dew. The only major southern rock player that I don't get on with. Most of the other big bands in this genre had a distinct personality whereas Blackfoot always strike me as diluted Skynyrd wannabes but their version of Bonnie Dobson's Morning Dew is simply stonking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.