Have not bought DVD/sacd player in forever, what is good?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dmariott2000, Oct 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dmariott2000

Dmariott2000 New Member Thread Starter

My Sony NS999ES has decided to no linger turn on and am not sure where to get repaired now days. What are high sound quality units I should consider. Don't want to spend a fortune to get this right. I have two BW Nautalus speakers that are biamped with ev-audio power amps. I use a Rotel pre. The Sony will not power on. I like sound with depth and precision. I down Like tin sounding players. I have cd and sacd disks.

2. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

There are several CD/SACD/DVD/BD player options, but the problem is finding one that offers analog out to interface with your Rotel pre as most players output via HDMI. You might consider the Sony UBP-X1100ES.

3. Robsonschoice

Robsonschoice Forum Resident

Philo Beddoe likes this.
  4. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I discovered that my Blu ray player plays SACD, but I've never bought one, yet! Someday, If I find a cheap SACD I'll try it out.

6. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

7. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Do you need the DVD functions too, or is it for just CD/SACD?

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  8. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Marantz

Zensound likes this.
  9. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

As mentioned above.....what's your budget and do you need it to play DVDs as well as CD/SACD?

10. Dmariott2000

Thank you for the response. I don't really like the Rotel very much but it serves a purpose at the moment. Basic fact is my prior pre quit. Covid19 has resulted in my closing up two firms and attempting to keep the third alive. I still like the PS Audio power amps and have had them for many years. I still like the B&W Nautilus 802 speakers. The biggest problem with the Rotel is I can't power my subs because I have two audio outs. Before I used a splitter to allow one or the outs to the ps Audio and one to the power amp for the two subs. Re the audio disk player, I don't need the DVD part. I have about two thousand cds and maybe twenty sacd. Obviously I'm way behind the times of current equipment. Does anyone know if the Rotel has a digital input? I'd need to lookup PIC 1082 model. I have an extra Sony DVP 7000 that I moved from a bedroom and hooked up to the Rotel for the moment. Not sure of the audio quality. It was good for video quality. However most video is now streaming.

11. Dmariott2000

Thank you. I don't have a blue ray player. Would have to evaluate that option.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  12. Dmariott2000

I def don't need it to play DVD at all. I have a allot of cd and sacd only. Budget is up for grabs. I think I paid 1k for the prior dead model. The real question is quality of play and sound. The Arcam cds50 seems to play both cd and sacd in addition to having an Audio analog output that my Rotel requires. I did have a Denon many years ago and liked it. The list noted above I need to review in more detail. Initially it seems the models that support sacd do not support analog audio out. I could be wrong.

13. Dmariott2000

Cd and sacd only.

14. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I was surprised to pick up two Sonys at the local target last night and both listed SACD on the box, both under $160. I'm guessing those cheaper ones convert DSD to PCM before output tho... still nice to see they're making cheap players that can decode them.

15. Dmariott2000

Hi. Thank you for the response. I had an extra dsp7000 in a bed room not really being used given most video content is now streaming I did hook it up and it played cd. I only have twenty to thirty sacd. Maybe good enough for the moment. Not sure of overall quality of conversion and sound given it's primary function is video.

rcsrich likes this.
  16. GoldprintAudio

By saying "analog audio out", do you mean your standard left/right channel outputs?

17. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

The Rotel RC-1082 does not have any digital inputs; analog only.

18. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

You'd be surprised. Most (if not all) of current Sony's can stream DSD over the HDMI. If your receiver DAC supports the native DSD, you are all set.

rcsrich likes this.
  19. Robsonschoice

Robsonschoice Forum Resident

The Arcam would be a great match for you..Analogue outputs (or Digital if you do upgrade elsewhere later) got a decent write up in HiFi News recent months mag. It will fit a wide range of systems. A few dealers in your part of the world so have a listen. That's the best way to buy one if you can.

20. Dmariott2000

21. Dmariott2000

Yes

22. GoldprintAudio

All of the options above should have those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.