Have some (re)discovered Klipsch Heritage for serious 2 channel??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheVinylAddict, Jan 16, 2023.

1. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

The room and system upgrade was a major focus for me last year, and I think I'm at a good place with it. I needed my cocoon built out, now I can focus on other things. I got into skydiving last summer, so more money and attention is going to the wind tunnel this winter, with my eyes on getting licensed next summer. I've got some reno projects around the house in mind too.

Glmoneydawg and TheVinylAddict like this.
  2. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

You could do a lot worse than this amp for under $6K and BTW did you try tightening the screws on that buzzing driver? Or is it not a mechanical buzz?

Leben CS-600 Integrated Amplifier

3. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found Thread Starter

Just yesterday, my son who worked his butt off getting three degrees in five years, is now down in the dumps cuz he worked so hard and burned himself out.

Yesterday I said, "go skydiving, you need something to jolt you back into gear"

He'll come around, he also broke up with his girlfriend of five years too... but at 23 yrs now, time to put all that tuition to work!

Harris11235, Oddiofyl and Glmoneydawg like this.
  4. TheVinylAddict

It's not mechanical, it's constant... it'll get fixed, not too worried, it's fairly easy to swap a driver. (if that's the problem). I'm confident I'm in good hands with my 10 year warranty.

Like I said, when the music is playing no buzz, no impact... so I'll probably procrastinate... the way I see it I still have 8.5 years to do it.

Glmoneydawg and jonwoody like this.
  5. TheVinylAddict

Update for new readers:

Wanted: tube integrated, 4-5 RCA inputs, Cornwall IV's, prefer not super low wattage in case of future speaker swap, budget $6K, ok with less.

Recs made so far: CMIII, Cary SLI-80, EVO 300, Primaluna, a really nice Luxman LX-80 that's $2K over budget :) but still nice. Probably missed one... Pharoah II

Would always keep in mind: some of the amps on OntheOnes profile.

Ontheone and Glmoneydawg like this.
  6. TheVinylAddict

Another update: If anyone out there wants to use the thread to post ideas, questions, new topics regarding "serious" 2 channel with Klipsch, feel free, don't view this as "my" thread, it's clearly a place to get ideas though... fire away.

7. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

I'm glad to hear I made a good impression on Keith. He was very nice to deal with and his gear speaks for itself.

8. mike catucci

That's a fair concern and while it was expensive to test various tubes, the ones I actually settled on were not bank account breakers at all. The combo I loved were:

12AU7 RCA Clear tops
    12AX7 GE Longplates
    Center 12AU7 Mazda Cifte 6198

9. mike catucci

You have me wishing I would have tried the power tubes. I was always under the impression they did not offer much in the way of affecting the sound. That might have been the missing link to reaching that 100%

Harris11235 likes this.
  10. TheVinylAddict

BTW, I just re-read this, no didn't get counseling, yes went from 6 to 4... :) the counseling was a joke, the (no s**t) on the end was confusing!

Harris11235 likes this.
  11. mike catucci

I didn't add the Pharaoh because I thought you wanted pure tube. My bad, the Pharaoh is the best amp I have heard -period. But that is very dependent on the sound signature you love. I love tube good ness but I crave detail. The Pharoah gives you both.

TheVinylAddict and mreeter like this.
  12. TheVinylAddict

Ah, hadn't dug far enough into that one to realize, then you're right... maybe I'll still have a look anyway. Always open minded....

mike catucci likes this.
  13. Harris11235

Haha, I definitely took it as a joke!

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  14. Harris11235

That’s good advice. It will fill him with a sense of vitality. Experienced skydivers have told me they haven’t felt that ‘first jump’ exhilaration from it for a long time. To them, it’s a calming experience. They say there’s something grounding about having one thing, and one thing only, to think about. Everything else gets out of the way.
    Are you fully committed to an integrated, or are you open to separates? You could get yourself into a nice pre and amp for $6k.

TheVinylAddict and mike catucci like this.
  15. Harris11235

They make a noticeable difference in my amp. Generally speaking, the lower power tubes have softer, rounder bass (and less of it) but you gain a more holographic and sweet midrange. The higher the power, the closer they get to the punch of the KT120s. Pretty linear progression with each step.

mike catucci likes this.
  16. mike catucci

Listen, it's good enough that if you have the chance I'd encourage you to listen to one. But be warned, I was never a believer in break in. I mean to a point maybe but the Pharoah sounds very different when it is a new unit to once it has 200 hours on it. VERY DIFFERENT. And no it was not my ears adjusting. When I first turned it on I thought to myself "oh man did I make a mistake getting rid of my CM3" a week later it is pure bliss. I think that's what happened to Avanti. I value his opinion quite a bit but he hates the Pharoah, so we differ on that drastically. I'm guessing the one he heard was new with zero break in.

TheVinylAddict and Harris11235 like this.
  17. mike catucci

Wish I'd have known this 3 months ago. Although those tubes are not cheap!

TheVinylAddict and Harris11235 like this.
  18. Harris11235

Given your post above, it sounds like you found a soft spot to land. :agree:

Glad to hear the Pharaoh is treating you so well.

mike catucci and TheVinylAddict like this.
  19. TheVinylAddict

Yeah but what Avanti is currently running is always the "best"... until he's not running it any more! :whistle: And that changes frequently...

:hide:

I definitely WILL listen Mike! You know me, even though I try things, I *always* take the time to choose wisely, and moreover *always* get a good deal.

Plus I'm in no hurry.... I had a choice here - either new speakers that could excel with quality SS watts, or tubes on Cornwalls. I think on Page 1 or 2 TylerB and I were exchanging about Harbeth 40.x's... this is an alternative to that!

My Accuphase signal chain (C-2410, C-27 and P-4200), plus my 1200G was all had for $13,500. It's all in the archives! I mentioned the purchases on each along the way, some in threads I started. For those unfamiliar with Accuphase pricing, I did quite good. It took time though, patience was the key. I don't think I will ever sell the Accuphase stuff, handing it down it's nice SS gear. (sorry Harris :))

I'm not buying the tube gear to compare to the Accuphase gear, I'm looking at it cuz I'm curious! It might be better, it might not. Audio gear and synergy is tricky... :) But tubes and Klipsch have a long standing following... so I like my chances that I'll like it, that's really what's important to me. I gave up pissing contests with things like audio gear a while ago, it's not worth it and have better things to burn my calories over.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
    mike catucci and Harris11235 like this.
  20. TheVinylAddict

I did mention earlier that I did not want separates *on tubes*.... BUT know some like tube pre with SS amp... AND I have a good SS amp.

You don't have to sell me on the virtues of separates :)

Anything is possible. Whaddya' thinkin'>

mike catucci likes this.
  21. Harris11235

Just thinking about the number of inputs you’d like to see. I saw @avanti1960 mentioned upthread and remembered the SLP-05. Five inputs, two are balanced. No idea how it would pair with your amp, but you could probably find a used one within your budget, like this one.

The RP5 and 7 both have a bunch of inputs too, great reviews.

22. TheVinylAddict

LOL.

You mean this mention?

If I'm not razzing Tony, he sends me a Get Well Soon card. (and vice versa)

He knows he's one of my Top 5 favorites around here, and they're all tied for first! :)

Glad you summoned him though, was trying to get his opinion too in my own special way.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
    mike catucci and Harris11235 like this.
  23. TheVinylAddict

BTW if going to five inputs means any step down in quality, four could work!

Five is a lot.... just a bonus if it did. You get it... don't want a better choice to disappear because it had four inputs!

Harris11235 likes this.
  24. Harris11235

I’m sure he’ll have some useful input, with the CMII in his past and the SLP-05 in his present. Definitely lots of experience with different amps and that pre. ;)

25. Harris11235

I don’t know if it means a step down in quality, just can’t think of many integrateds that have that many. 4 seems pretty standard, three if you’re set on the HTB.