Have you been scammed on Ebay???

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Chris_G, Jul 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B_big!

B_big! Vinyl Record Enthusiast

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .[​IMG]

Luckily not yet! The worst I experienced was an album, that doesn't had the condition, it was described. I had a dispute with the seller, but finally got full refund.. [​IMG]

2. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Not to throw off the subject, but I was scammed hard once on Discogs. Never (yet) on eBay.

3. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

First time recently as seller. In the end it was really a case of buyers remorse but that is not how it was presented. I sold as no returns. The buyer contacted me and claimed the speakers were damaged, scratches on the cabinets. I know these things were near perfect. I had closely inspected them and carefully packaged them. When I deny any scratches he posts a picture with a huge scratch across the cabinet. When I deny that the scratch existed then he starts to make additional claims of damage not mentioned in his first message including a pushed in tweeter and speaker grill damage. The first mention was three days after he received them the second damage claims six days after receipt. I feel it is simply buyers remorse and I do not want to deal with the return. He files a claim. I file a counter claim based on the timing of his claims and the extension of other claims after the fact. Bottom line eBay finds in the buyers favor and they take the money from me and the speakers are returned.

Upon receipt of the speakers I carefully inspect them again. Nothing, nothing at all to be seen. No scratch anywhere. No tweeter damage, no grill damage. I'm just lucky he did not do the damage claimed. I repost the classified clearly spelling out the history of the previous transaction and sell them immediately and guess what the second buyer is very satisfied. If the buyer had simply been honest with me about buyers remorse I may have worked with him but to make false claims including that I lied about buying them from an authorized dealer and when I bought them (a label from the dealer was on the box and a date received (one month before I claimed I bought them).

This one transaction on eBay and how it was handled and determined by them has soured me on the use of eBay. At this point I have no intent of using eBay for purchases or selling again.

Vidiot, Dave and Hot Ptah like this.
  4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

It didn't used to be, but if the buyer paid with Paypal it's on you now. Buyers are now given six months to decide the thing they bought is not as described. They can back out pretty much any time they want and pretty much immediately get back everything they paid including original shipping. If you as the seller would like your goods back, you get to pay for return shipping yourself. And there's no "As-is" or "no returns" language you can put in your listing which will override Paypal's policies in this regard.

5. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

My experience with eBay and a bad buyer was also very negative. eBay took the buyer's side and said that unless I had conclusive documented proof that the buyer was lying, they would always take the buyer's side one hundred per cent. They also said that they would not remove negative feedback from a buyer, no matter how unwarranted or crazy it may be.

I mentioned that I had been using eBay since 1999 and that this was such a departure from how reasonable eBay used to be. eBay's reaction was that they have indeed changed and are not interested in hearing the reactions of sellers to the changes in policy.

6. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I bought a stereo Beatles 2009 box. Eventually I determined it was a boot. It was too late to get paypal involved so I said" what the hell" and emailed the seller. I'm still shocked he sent me a cash refund and I kept the box. There are honest people on ebay!

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  7. DEG

DEG Sparks ^^^

Because of a few bad transactions, I am now prohibited from selling there. Been a member for 10 years. What a bunch of axxholes and butt wipes. Their logic is 1-1 = 55.

8. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I have not been scammed but I know people who have. All buyers.

My brother had a strange experience. Someone pirated his eBay account and "sold" a fairly expensive piece of farm equipment to some poor farmer for around $2,500.00. The buyer was stiffed.

There was no investigation by eBay they just revealed by brother's information to the buyer. He told me the call from the farmer was heart wrenching. They were almost in tears, telling my brother that they spent their nest egging on it because they new it would increase productivity.

My brother reached out to eBay and explained the situation. They sent back a threatening letter and told him to "hire an Attorney." One letter from me and they changed their tune. Still it put me off eBay unless there are no other options.

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

In the early days of eBay, I was cheated by some guy an Asia, who never sent the cd I paid for. This was before paypal.

10. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Yes. I bought a Beatles 3" singles boxed set from some criminal in Vancouver, British Columbia some years ago. Apparently, he opened an Ebay account, listed several items for sale he didn't actually have and pocketed the payments. Nothing was ever done about it.
    I also bought a few CDs via the old Yahoo auctions (remember those?) and they never did arrive.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's news to me. Do you have a link for this new rule? All I ever heard was 30 days.

I had a bizarre incident one time: I sold a Revox 760 tuner which was working but clearly in used condition (the thing was almost 40 years old) and shipped it off. The buyer complained it was D.O.A. and wanted a refund. I was surprised to hear this since I had used it for a couple of years on and off. He sent it back... and I could swear that the guts of the unit were different and the knobs now had more wear and tear. But the cabinet was the one I shipped him.

We wondered, "is it possible the guy went in, desoldered the boards, and swapped them out with a dead one?" We'll never know. I eventually put it up as "not working -- for parts only" and sold it for like $75 or so.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  12. I got scammed years ago buying a DVD, received a counterfeit and a couple of "bonus" counterfeit DVDs. I let it go as it was small money. I hate Ebay and haven't used it for 7 or 8 years.

13. R. Totale

Happened last year, I know you don't sell stuff there day to day but I'm surprised how many people who do haven't bothered to keep up.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/paypal-expanding-return-window-to-six-months-100614.html

I've had it happen a couple of times over the years with cheap stuff where the guy bought himself an upgrade for the cost of one-way postage by buying my nice item and returning their crappy one. Now they don't even have to pay postage.

Vidiot likes this.
  14. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Not me, but my friend has been a victim of selling mint condition lps to buyers who open a claim and send him back a poor condition copy of the same title.
    He remedied this by placing a discrete mark on the lp label.
    Even this won't prevent a buyer from successfully getting a paypal refund.

Vidiot likes this.
  15. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I sold a copy of the Small Faces 1st LP Mono on Immediate. I stated the was a slight warp that didn't effect play. The Buyer ran with that stating that the LP skipped. He was in europe so I refunded his money and told him to keep the LP. Don't need the hassle or BS. I also sent an LP to Europe that the buyer claimed he never recieved. No tracking with ebay is a lost cause even if you have offered tracking in the auction (Buyer declined tracking and EBay didn't care) which isn't cheap from US to Europe. EBay froze my account I didn't sell again for months by my choice EBay should stand behind the seller as well as the buyers.

16. slayerhatesusall

slayerhatesusall Well-Known Member

I've gotten a few horrible crap quality fake cds before from a seller from a foreign country (one of them was even scratched on the top and skipped), but I got refunded for them by telling ebay they didn't arrive. I've had stuff that was massively over graded which I sent back for a refund. I've had 2 people from foreign countries say they never got the item and I had to refund them since their was no tracking, even though it's likely they got them and just wanted them for free.

17. Calico

Calico Senior Member

My recent bad experience:

In May, a Japanese guy won one of my eBay auctions for a Beatles single.
    I sent him the record, which he received a few days later but then he asked for a refund because, according to him, the record description didn't match the actual condition of the record. I was very much aware that the record was in more than fine condition and that my description was accurate, but since I didn't want to make any fuss, I immediately issued him a refund nonetheless.
    Since then, not only have I not received the record back, but the guy has been ignoring all my email messages to him. He actually replied just once, saying that "he would ge back in touch with me next Monday"... and that was more than one month ago!
    Now I have had to open a dispute case with PayPal, since eBay seems unable to do anything about it...
    It's not a huge amount, but it's all a matter of principle and being honest.
    I probably should have waited to have the record back to issue a refund, but since the guy seemed to have 100% positive feedback I didn't beware, and PayPal doesn't seem to be of any help...

I don't know if I'm allowed to name that buyer here but his eBay ID is "junhiraoka".
    So, people beware when dealing with him.

18. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Just counterfeit problems. One eBayer continues to sell counterfeit copies of Herb Alpert's BEYOND on CD. It was a limited-run Japanese pressing that was counterfeited. I won the argument and got to keep the disc too.

My wife ordered my a DEEP SPACE NINE season set and it turned out to be a cheap Chinese counterfeit. The seller refunded her money and we bought a legit set on Amazon.

Once, a long time ago I bought and paid for a CD single on eBay and never got it. In fact, I'd forgotten all about it until I got an email some six to eight months later. The email came from the seller's wife/girlfriend explaining that he had had a motorcycle accident and remained in a coma. She was just catching up on some of his emails and spotted mine and promptly sent the CD. Sometimes you just never know...

19. Chris_G

Chris_G Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Sorry you went through that. Unfortunately, any buyer or scammer can have 100% feedback. Many sellers give buyers feedback immediately after the purchase is made and before the buyer gets the item. So if any issue arises after that, the feedback won't reflect it.

Calico likes this.
  20. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I got scammed on a used camera early in my EBay days. It was my own fault.

21. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I don't know if scammed is the right word, but I once discovered having a computer up for auction that I didn't even own! Ebay actually took care of the problem very fast, I have to say.

22. Equine Guest

Equine Guest Forum Resident

Recently. A seller sold me 7 LPs with the description being VG+. He waited 10 days to ship, with numerous excuses. Finally, he shipped, which took another twelve days as it was intercepted by Media Mail inspections. They found he had utilized a Priority Mail box and covered it in paper. It arrived at my local PO. They left a note on my door stating I owed $13 for shipping due to his error. (I had already paid for Media shipping).
    I contacted the seller, and after he told me nothing after a couple of days, I paid the money. The records were damaged by USPS, they were poorly graded, and I mean the worst pile I have ever seen. To say they were in Fair condition is an overstatement. Garbage. Finally he responded to me, and instructed me to open a case. I did as he asked, and received my original purchase price plus original Media shipping back from Paypal. This seller then informed me that as it was my decision to accept the records that I am on the hook for the $13. What? I explained that he was the one whom had stated in the Auction that the records would be shipped via Media Mail. And that he was the one that chose to attempt to defraud the Postal Service by using a box meant for Priorty Mail, and got caught. The guy does not care. He suggested I should leave negative feedback and move on.

Seems such a cop out on buyer/seller trust. If I leave negative feedback, I am just dropping down to his lowly level. Not my bag.

Suggestions?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  23. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

I really don't buy anymore from e-bay but I would like to sell, but I will be putting NO RETURNs and will take pics/video of what I am selling, good for the buyer good for me. Been scammed years ago, 2 ladies come to mind and 1 fella (Irish) Paddys Records from the UK. (don't buy from him)

sean

24. R. Totale

I'd suggest you read the current Paypal and eBay regulations so you are sure what putting "No Returns" in your listing means in your jurisdiction. Here in the US, it doesn't mean anything. If the buyer paid with Paypal and wants his money back, in the US anyway he's going to get it and all of his shipping money as well - even if you put "AS-IS All Sales Final Returns Not Accepted" in flashing 256 point type and set up GIF animated arrows of fire ridden by angels pointing at it so it can't be missed.

eddiel and Lost In The Flood like this.
  25. Black Moon

Black Moon Member

That's because there are more bad sellers than there are bad buyers. Even looking at this poll there are more buyers that were scammed by sellers than sellers who were scammed by buyers.

Way back then Ebay used to be so slanted in their policies toward sellers and there was 0 protection for buyers. That's not reasonable at all. They're better than they've ever been in that regard. It used to be very risky for buyers and it was hurting eBay's reputation. The change in policies were sorely needed, IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.