Have you discovered any new music on hi-rez?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Dec 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

It's always a bad idea to buy music according to the format it's released on, but have you purchased new music simply because it was released on one of the hi-rez formats?

For my SACD purchases, I usually purchase reissues of titles I know or know of. Basically, sticking with music or a music style I am familiar with. However, on one occasion over at audioasylum.com, I was send 2 SACDs released by FIM (First Impression Music) after I did a favor (got him a SACD he couldn't purchase overseas) for a "inmate" in Singapore. One of these SACDs was "River of Sorrow", an ultra realistic direct-to-DSD recording of traditional Chinese instrumentals. I have almost no knowledge of this music, but the more I listened to it, the more I am into it. It certainly took a while to get my ears accustomed to the music, but somehow I got hooked.

Just received a couple of SACDs from Water Lily Acoustics* that feature combinations of traditional Indian and Chinese instruments, plus banjo (Bela Fleck ) and acoustic guitar (Martin Simpson). I have no idea what to expect.

* Many titles on sale at Music Direct.

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I have 850 SACDs - what do you think?

I'm going to buy music I know? (or worse, have) and of course I've done that. Sometimes it takes ages to get around to playing these reissues - it took me weeks before I started listening to the Elton Johns.

I'm going to buy music I've heard of - certainly. I listen carefully to recommendations from various sources. How about David Elias - "The Window"? That's a treat.

I'm buying (maybe) a couple of SACDs a week that I have no idea what they are about, and in many cases I don't know the artist or the composer. Sometimes I don't even check my list - that's why I have 4 copies of Mendelssohn's Vioin Concerto.

I can say that "River of Sorrow" is outstanding - what glorious sound, and beautiful packaging. FIM have a few like that - works of art. That's currently a $27-$30 SACD though; they were a lot cheaper when they first came out.

I also have quite a few of the Water Lily SACDs - excellent also. Some of it is very approachable - and other is more concentrated in the style (like Ali Akbar Khan's "Indian Architecture"). "Bourbon and Rosewater" is often recommended.

3. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Yep. Porcupine Tree. Thorns. Gonna buy Keane. Alison Krauss (wish the new one was on sacd!) Dredg...Widespread Panic....Crystal Method (regret that one....zzzzzzzzzzzz).

4. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Geoff, you should change your title from Forum Hall Of Fame to Single Handedly Saving Hi-Rez.

Yeah, I'm guilty of it too. Not so much anymore, but when I first got my player I bought a few discs just because they were there.

5. Metralla

There's an example. Bought it last weekend - no idea who they are or what they sound like. (I have a few saved up to listen to over the holidays).

6. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I bought Keane, Porcupine Tree, Keb Mo (2), Polyphonic Spree and am going to try the Snow Patrol SACD. I have been very impressed by all of the discs so far!

7. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Man, I have bought a ton of SACDs and DVD-As just because they were "there" and others said they were "interesting".

Many have been quite good, others disappointing. However, seeing a new title in a real store sometimes is enough to get me to buy it.

I did not, however, succumb to the Britney Spears DVD-A, although I "almost" did. "Get back in the rack, Britney!" :D

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

One guy. Steve Davis (that right?) Drummer. Some amazing hi-rez stuff...

9. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I broke down and bought that Britney Spears DVDA.

10. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

Lucky my friend works at Jive/Zomba, got both Ms. Spears and R. Kelly for free :). I just got the Keane Dual Disc last night so I really haven't checked it out.

11. vibes

vibes Forum Resident

I've purchased a lot of stuff to try, simply because it was on SACD or DVD-A. Among the things I'd never heard before:

Classical music by Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Brahms, Mahler, Vaughan Williams, Dvorak, Richard Strauss, Rachmaninoff, Sibelius, etc.
    Pink Floyd - DSOTM
    Disturbed - Believe
    Alanis Morissette - Under Rug Swept
    etc. (there's lots more, but I'm not at home right now and am drawing a blank)

12. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

Jon

You should buy it man - Toxic rocks!

PC

13. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

Brimstone Butterfly

Track down their DVD_A - I just love it - one of the albums I've listened to most this year!

14. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

The only album I can think of that I bought "just 'cause it's on SACD" is New Favorite by Alison Krauss + Union Station. I'd never investigated Krauss' music before. I think it's very pleasant, but I find I don't play it very often.

15. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

I bought the Trey Anastasio DVD-A, although I never heard of him before, and didn't know Phish. I really like the album a lot, although the mix definitely works only in the sweet spot.

But my big discovery was the Beck SA-CD.

Martin

16. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Allison Krauss

Also, though I had wanted to hear Isaac Hayes' albums, I never got around to acquiring any until they came out on SACD and now love them.

17. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

Finally picked this one up from Amazon. Beautifully recorded, great music. Perfect for relaxing on the last morning of 2004!

18. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

I Have 'discovered' :goodie: Porcupine Tree, Flaming Lips, Polyphonic Spree and a Hungarian Band called Djabe, all because they were available rather than first choce bands and liked what I have heard. :righton:

now if someone would just start to release more Multichannel discs I would be gratefull.

19. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

I was always going to pick up Keane. And I finally did....excellent stuff.

20. heavyd

heavyd Forum Resident

If you like new age stuff, try Kitaro's "Sacred Journey of Ku-Kai" on SACD. I picked it up a couple of weeks ago and now listen to it while stargazing with my telescope - man, the music just sucks you in...great great stuff.

21. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

HiRez disks I have bought from artists or albums that I did not know of before?

Flaming Lips, Norah Jones, Beck "Sea Change" (had heard one single from the album, but I love the entire thing), Ray Charles "Genius Loves Company" (I knew his music. Who doesn't but had not heard any of the songs on this album 'cause I do not listen to the radio).

Now, what I think is most important is the fact that I have 'rediscovered' music itself through HiRez, especially in 5.1. Now I really enjoy it. I've gotten goosebumps on more than one occasion and have even cried while listening to the voice of Karen Carpenter. Before that it had mostly become background or fly-by sounds or something I listened to as a job or in my car on my way somewhere.

22. Metralla

Thanks. I've seen the Kitaro discs maybe 20 times - and passed them by.

23. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

I tend to buy a lot more classical music than before. There seems to be quite a lot of (by my standards anyway) classical SACD's around.

24. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

I tend to buy more music than before on account of HiRez (and this forum).

25. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

I bought Beck's Sea Change on SACD only because I could get it cheaply. I liked it enough to buy Mutations, which has become one of my favorite recordings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.