Have you ever been overwhelmed by turntables and records? How did you stop worrying?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by John Fontane, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Wish I could of Michael, but so many of my favorites have crap-ass re-mastering's for b-sides and mixes.
    [​IMG]

2. John Fontane

John Fontane Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thats another thing I stress over a little bit- - doubting the VTF measurement and wondering if it’s the best measurement. Right now it’s 2.0 exactly according to the scale I got ($12 neoteck scale). At95e.

3. John Fontane

some records sound so bad compared to others that it makes me wonder if i have things set up correctly. im starting to realize that sometimes it’s the record.

patient_ot likes this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Remember John, this is a hobby and fun should be the point of it :)

Noel Patterson, Kyhl and John Fontane like this.
  5. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

And some CDs sound bad compared to others, some files sound bad compared to others.....

Unfortunately all recordings aren’t perfect.

nosliw, John Fontane and patient_ot like this.
  6. Myke Reid

Myke Reid Forum Resident

2.0 should be perfect for the AT95e.

John Fontane likes this.
  7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

What LP reissue? What CD reissue? That album has been pressed an nth number of times...got Discogs links?

What turntable? What cartridge?

If you want to know if your VTF is set correctly get a cheap digital scale for $10 to double check your counterweight settings.

nosliw and John Fontane like this.
  8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Right, but if OP is wondering if that cartridge is "accurate", it isn't. A $40 cartridge simply cannot be the last word in accuracy. Not by a longshot.

John Fontane likes this.
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Pressing quality these days is like buying $1 scratch off lottery tickets. This is especially true if you don't research pressings before buying them. That's besides the mastering, which often isn't ideal either. High quality records are expensive to make, and most mainstream releases (e.g. non-audiophile) are going to be made to hit a certain price point and make $, not to hit a high quality standard.

Danilo, Doctor Fine, nosliw and 2 others like this.
  10. John Fontane

I got the Rhino version (both LP and CD) that says it has the 2012 remastering. LP120 with At95E

11. John Fontane

i got the neoteck scale. was around $12 i think. The weight it came with is 5g, and when I measure the vtf I get 2.0. Not sure how accurate the scale is though.

patient_ot likes this.
  12. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

To be fair, you have a just OK turntable but a generally well respected cartridge. Vinyl snobs will put both down but they should be fairly synergistic together. The problem with vinyl, unlike CDs, is you have to spend a disproportionate amount for a turntable and cartridge to beat what a $300 CD player will do.

13. John Fontane

Today I got this album called “Hardrock from the Middle East”, lots of hi-hat, tambourine. Listenig to it now. Hi-hat and tambourine sound great. Makes me like vinyl records.

LivingForever likes this.
  14. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Hey, it's all good, not everyone is a bandwagon jumper, but vinyl sources are all over the map just like CD's, the big difference between vinyl and CD's is that most vinyl setups have a sweet entry point of about a grand and then, while they get much, much better up the chain, you can have a really pleasing experience at about that entry...(unfortunately you may kiss a few frogs to get there...). CD is a bit more forgiving of the lower end of the chain, yes I have heard CD players that are just on another level, but they carry a really hefty premium.

My recommendation for anyone starting out is the same as it's been for years, find a nice used SL1200 for about $450-500 then add a Nag 110 and a decent entry phono stage like the ART DJII or (better) a used iPhono or such. That would be about a grand and can serve you well for a very long time!

John Fontane likes this.
  15. John Fontane

My main purpose in getting a turntable was to avoid bad-sounding CDs and brickwalling, so I think I’d be fine with what I have if I can get it set up properly. Im not sure I have it set up properly.

Doctor Fine likes this.
  16. Myke Reid

Myke Reid Forum Resident

Have you given any thought to removing the LP120 built-in preamp? I've heard others swear it makes a world of difference.

17. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

True Dat! Most folks I hear moaning about how superior vinyl is have $2000 invested in their vinyl rig and $200 in their CD player....

csgreene likes this.
  18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Probably plenty accurate. Most of these cheap scales all come from the same factories in China. I have one also (forget the brand) and it's plenty accurate for setting VTF.

John Fontane likes this.
  19. John Fontane

I considered getting a used table but I just felt I’d be lost (even more lost than I feel right now). I wanted more peace of mind. When I played guitar, I had many urges to buy used vintage tube amps that sounded better and costed less than anything I couldve bought new but was worried about not being able to repair or maintain them myself due to lack of knowledge.

20. John Fontane

i have a 4-yr warranty on it and dont want to lose the warranty

Myke Reid likes this.
  21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I have over 4,000 CDs. Guess how many are bricked? Maybe 10-15%. And for those, there usually isn't any good version period, whether vinyl, CD, digital download, etc. A little research goes a long way toward avoiding loudness war CDs. If it's a popular album you want or something that was pressed a lot of times, it shouldn't be too hard to find a decent sounding version on CD. Often that version will be better than whatever scratched up used copy on vinyl the local record store is asking too much money for, or the latest easily available $20-30 LP reissue. There are exceptions of course.

nosliw and John Fontane like this.
  22. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Ha! Drugs and I only indulge in CDs, DVD audio, SACD, Bluray.
    No downloads...yet. John M.

If every digital disc sounded like the blu -ray "White " album, the DVD audio of "Court of the Crimson king" ,or the SACD of "Hot Rocks' Rolling Stones 2002 issue then I would never look at another vinyl record (lp) again. John M.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    SandAndGlass and Doctor Fine like this.
  23. The AT95E cartridge your using is the first suspect. I have used one & it's a great cartridge body hampered by a basic elliptical stylus. If you really want to hear what that thing can do, slap the LP Gear ATN95SA stylus on it & prepare to be amazed. The hype is true:
    LP Gear ATN95SA stylus
    LP Gear AT95SA phono cartridge

John Fontane likes this.
  24. John Fontane

Since Metallica’s Death Magnetic came out and I heard how much better-sounding the Guitar Hero version sounds, I always researched CDs before buying. Anyway, I forgot to mention that even if a Cd isnt brickwalled (like the original cd of Living Colour’s Time’s Up), it could still sound bad/thin/sterile. I got the vinyl of that and it’s an improvement to me. I recently bought Hurray For The Riff Raff’s “Navigator” on CD and to me, some tracks sound horrible. I got the vinyl and those same tracks now sound good to me. (it’s not a placebo either)

25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If you are running an AT95E, you can trust that the CD in this case would be more "accurate". You'll need a much more expensive cartridge to close the gap between them, and a good phono preamp as well. If you enjoy spinning the record, don't overthink it. In other words, the AT95E has top end roll-off.

2018 new AT95

John Fontane likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.