Have you ever forgot you saw an "important" act?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OverEstimatedProphet, Nov 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScaryMercedes

ScaryMercedes Forum Residents

In early 2009, I hopped on the metro and went to this thing:

We Are One: The Obama Inaugural Celebration at the Lincoln Memorial - Wikipedia

I got in late, it was cold as heck, and I was sitting pretty far up the mall, but I did catch Usher, Stevie Wonder, Shakira, U2, Pete Seeger, and Bruce Springsteen within the span of a few impossible minutes.

On a less mind-blowing scale, I saw the noteworthy metalcore band The Devil Wears Prada at an indoor basketball court in Sterling, VA in 2007, right before Plagues came out (and a year before they were on Warped Tour). I was there to see a different band some friends were in, but when they got really big two or three years later, I did a double-take and realized I'd seen them before!

2. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

John Hiatt opening for Roy Buchannan about 1976. I may have arrived late as I don't remember any opener.

3. TGH7

TGH7 Forum Resident

Forgot that the Pretty Things opened for Artful Dodger at the Palace/Agora in Painesville OH.

4. No

ARK likes this.
  5. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

I saw Sonic Youth open for Neil Young.

I also saw the Black Crowes open for Robert Plant.

stewedandkeefed and Steve Litos like this.
  6. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

What year?

7. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I can only remember 1/3 of the bands I've seen. At the time is was just all 'one big party' with back-round music. lol.

I saw a lot of bands back in the day, many times twice a week. (San Francisco Bay area - '69.)

But I do remember which bands/artists I didn't see. I did miss a few of the big ones. I even passed on many like Hendrix. I really regret not going to the Hendrix concert in Hawaii... and I was there too. :shrug:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  8. jatticus

jatticus i swear im not emo

in early 2014, I saw a little known band (at the time) called twenty øne pilots, because a friend liked them. say what you like about their music, but they can put on a show. I forgot about it until 2016, when they started getting radio play

9. buzzinfly

buzzinfly Forum Resident

Os Mutantes opened for Ariel Pink when he toured Before Today (I believe). Seemed really wrong for anyone to follow them.

10. optoman

optoman Forum Resident

I saw Queen at the Lyceum in London in December 1979.
    I completely forgot about it but a friend sent me scans of a bunch of letters that I sent him when I was a student and in one of the letters I sound very excited with description of the amazing lights and performance of Freddie Mercury.
    The Lyceum seats 2100 people. Almost certainly any later tours were in much bigger and impersonal arenas.

11. Rob Burgess

Rob Burgess Forum Resident

I saw Jethro Tull in 1979 and UK were the opening act. I have no memory of seeing UK. I know I was there in time, and being a drummer and a Zappa fan, seeing Terry Bozzio play should have been a major life event for me. Nope, nothing.

--
    Rob

12. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

the OP asks if you've ever forgotten seeing an important act.

:p

Choba b CCCP, Rickchick and DTK like this.
  13. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

i am reminded of the old joke, "if you remember woodstock, you weren't actually there."

14. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

Nope, guess not. Out of curiosity I pulled out my old concert stubs and see that the show was in Dec. '86, not '81, so if Simple Minds had opened I'd have certainly known them by then, and had some memory of it. I can't seem to find any info on an opening act that night. Maybe there wasn't one. (Not that any of this matters, carry on. :tiphat: )

15. RockawayRob

RockawayRob Forum Resident

I saw the Cure in 1992 and had no recollection of it until I found the ticket stub in my things. I mentioned the ticket stub to a friend and she was surprised I didn’t remember since we went to that show together. You would think I would remember a show where I had 3rd row seats but somehow it totally slipped my mind.

16. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Pretty sure I saw Bad Radio (Eddie Vedder's pre Pearl Jam band) a couple times. I do not remember them. They were definitely the opening band for a few shows I've been to.

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

There are probably some semi-successful then-unknown bands I saw as openers. If they didn't achieve success pretty quickly and were nobodies when I saw them, I wouldn't remember them.

I think I saw Beastie Boys as the 1st act on a 4-act bill headlined by Run-DMC in 1996. They played but I have no memory of it, so it's possible my friend and I showed up late and missed them.

Though we had good seats in a GA venue, so we probably weren't late - I probably just don't remember the Beasties! :shrug:

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Funny - I'm in the category whereby I may or may not have seen Radiohead as an opener as well.

They were off the REM tour by the time I saw it in 10/95, but they were slated to open for Alanis in 8/96.

I have it in my head they canceled, but I probably am wrong. No memory of seeing them!

19. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

You wouldn't have, as he didn't even play Shepherds Bush in 1996 :tiphat:

HappyFingers likes this.
  20. Bemsha

Bemsha Forum Resident

Yes. I saw Yes in the eighties and completely forgot about it. Many years later I found the ticket. Obviously I was there. It was not my favorite Yes incarnation, so maybe that was the reason for it.

21. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

Wasn't impressed by Nirvana when I saw them in 1992. On a smaller scale, HIM in 1998 was pretty forgettable as well.

Silksashbash and Fullbug like this.
  22. BirstallBlue

BirstallBlue Forum Resident

Was it in 1975, along with Gallagher & Lyle, supporting, Supertramp.

Alan2 likes this.
  23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Simple Minds did not play New York in 1981 so it's probably not true.

24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

My bitchy 20s girlfriend would't let me watch PJ Harvey. I saw like two numbers.
    In 1996 I briefly checked out Maria McKee at a festival touring Life Is Sweet, but I wasn't a fan yet. Now I would have devoured the whole set.
    Saw Dylan at the same festival but hardly remember anything about it except it was loud and Bob played guitar.

25. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

if they were that important I wouldn't have forgotten them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.