Have you ever had tickets to a show and missed it for whatever reason? Regrets?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alex1976delarge, Oct 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

Wow... Brighton Bar!. I spent a lot of time there in the 80s. :cool: Plus in the 90s I worked 1 block from The Brighton and used to go there for lunch sometimes. Fun place. Used to be a hangout for lots of students from Monmouth University. :laugh:

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  2. ernie11

ernie11 Senior Member

An oldies show many years ago at the Keswick Theater in Glenside, PA. Was supposed to go with someone else to see Petula Clark. Friend got real sick so we didn't get there.

3. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

REM at the Bronco Bowl near Dallas, Texas back around 1985. A family issue came up. I did catch them on the Green tour, 1989. My only regret is not seeing them earlier in their career.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  4. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Ah, the infamous Elderberries!

Not to make you feel bad, but I was at that show, and it was great! Scott solo songs…Scott Raspberries songs…Wally and Dave Raspberries songs…and with a little bit of reconfiguration, The Choir and some Choir songs. IIRC, the night ended with an instrumental version of "Go All the Way."

Plus, I got to reconnect with Tom Sorrells, Scott's friend from childhood who was in Yellow Hair with him. I had corresponded with Tom quite a bit and in 1974 came to their hometown of St. Joseph, Missouri with a plan to put a band together with him, but it didn't work out.

5. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

You didn't have to add another word.
    Eat a peach.

bicyclops and CrawdaddySim1 like this.
  6. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Not a huge regret because I was seeing a lot of shows at the time but I still have (somewhere) unused tickets for Aerosmith with GnR opening circ 1988-89. I think my girlfriend and I at the time just decided to go to a friend's party or something rather than make the hour-long drive. Last minute decision.

7. Wildest cat from montana

Like that show. Who was the guest ?

8. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

Clash of the Titans. Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax.

9. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

Genesis in 1981 due to snow. Nirvana in 1994 because he died.

10. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

In 1974 when I was 14 years old I had tickets to see Grand Funk Railroad at Madison Square Garden during their Shinin' On tour...I was going with 3 other kids in my neighborhood who were all 3-4 years older than me...I had my ticket and was all set to go, but at the last minute my Mother just couldn't handle the idea of me going in to the big bad city with boys who were older than me, and on the day before the show she freaked out and wouldn't let me go!

I still haven't forgiven her... ;)

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  11. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

….Depeche Mode in about 1993 because I split up with the girl who got the tickets. Don't think she went either.

12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

yeah, a few. most recently last week's black belt eagle scout show. I wasn't feeling well and just didn't want to deal with the drive to and from the city.

13. Wildest cat from montana

That sounds like it could be a Springsteen song.

14. writteninwater

writteninwater Forum Resident

My biggest regret was to not go and pick up my ticket to Miles Davis live in Oslo in the mid-80s. It was very expensive for the time and no one wanted to go with me, I cancelled it. I was young, and it felt akward to go to concerts alone. But I should have, I was also lucky to have gotten a ticket.

15. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I had tickets to Jason Isbell back in April, but it was in an ampitheater and it was cold and raining cats and dogs, so we decided to eat the money and not go. Would've liked to have gone but the weather was a bitch and we would've been miserable since we weren't in a covered section

16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

amateur hour!! some of the best shows I've seen have been in the rain.

17. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

One that's just come to mind was my younger sister and I were going to see Gentle Giant, in Leeds, December 1974, tickets bought, but the whole tour got cancelled due to Derek Shulman's illness. Never got to see them, a bit disappointed at the time, but 45 years later I feel gutted.

18. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

i went to a show and still missed it. Rory Gallagher 1981, i was following the tour and fell asleep before he hit the stage, woke up as he was leaving it. It was my tenth show of the tour in 14 days, i was tired.

LivingForever likes this.
  19. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

Yes back in the day i had won tickets to go see the Jeff Beck Group,when Rod was in it and had to go work that night.So i gave them to my sister..i should have skipped work that night ;)

20. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Reposting from when I last told this story...and regrets...so, so many...never did see him.

A few decades ago Jimmy Giuffre came over with his classic trio to play the Jazz Cafe.

So...managed to buy a ticket but on the night of the gig I couldn't find it anywhere.

I went up to Camden Town and asked on the door - no luck - fully sold out.

A few weeks later, I was going on the train and needed a book to read.

"Oh, it's got a bookmark where I'd read up to...ah...damn"

Any physical tickets now go straight into the letter rack facing me on my desk.

21. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Me too. We just weren't in the mood for it that night.

Kevin j likes this.
  22. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

David Sylvian - 2002

The details are best forgotten.

23. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

Kiss in 1976. My dad "accidently" put my ticket in the trash, which was then hauled off to the landfill. Show was sold out and I didn't have money to try and scalp a ticket.

24. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

I was hospitalized three years ago with an illness and missed two shows - Squeeze and the Monkees. I recovered and I have seen both acts since. I missed my last chance to see Peter Tork before he passed though. I had seen him four times previously, but I still regret missing him that last time.

25. Elvis Costello! The nice thing was guests were never announced in advance so you never knew. Elton John was scheduled but scratched last minute due to sickness. Elvis called his Weeds friend Mary Louise Parker who has a journalism degree, and flew her in last minute to turn the tables on him. A magic evening and Elvis really let his hair down, held nothing back and played an amazing set of a dozen songs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.