Have you ever rushed the stage?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by speedracer, May 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are you sure it was sweat and not that which runs down Aqualung's nose?

Jamsterdammer likes this.
  2. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

they had a vibe that encouraged this stuff, much enjoyed

any other time there seemed to be a crowd problem i headed calmly toward the exit to watch and leave if necessary

3. MilMascaras

MilMascaras Musicologist

Yes. early Plasmatics show. Ended up with the bottom 1/2 of a chainsawed guitar...
    [​IMG]

4. 7solqs4iago

it wasn't even up for 2 seconds before you liked it!

amazed, shocked, awed :D

5. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I ran down to the stage during Freebird at a "Skynyrd" concert about 10 years ago. It was a fun ending to an otherwise "meh" concert.

speedracer likes this.
  6. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I saw Hole play a festival in 98(?) and Courtney demanded that we rush the stage. So we did.

It was pretty awesome. At one point she sat on one of the security guard's shoulders-who was down on the floor but on the opposite side of the barrier-and had him walk her back and forth across the length of the stage. She was touching everyone's hands as she passed but she grabbed mine and sang right to me.

7. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Only in the sense that when I was a kid, back in the general admission days, the way you'd get a good seat was to be at the gate earlier than everyone else, and then when they let you in, you'd make a mad dash for the chairs on the floor and move yourself as close to the stage as possible. I was in the front row for tons of concerts that way during that era. For a big chunk of the 70s and into the early 80s, I saw probably 90% of the shows at both the Hollywood Sportatorium and the West Palm Beach Auditorium, and every bigger act who toured South Florida at the time played one or the other.

speedracer likes this.
  8. BradB

BradB Birth.Music.Death?

The last 2 times I've 'rushed' a stage were both for The Cure, once at a Riot Fest then once at their own headlining show. Ended up being worth it both times, once directly in front of Robert and the other time directly in front of Roger and almost caught a tambourine. I've ended up at the front of a stage quite a few times over the years but didn't necessarily have to rush to get to those points, usually at venues under 5,000 capacity.

speedracer and 7solqs4iago like this.
  9. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Remarkable trophy. You still have it?

Great tales folks, thanks for playin

10. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Quite possible, but doesn't matter, does it?

speedracer likes this.
  11. 7solqs4iago

The Plasmatics really existed?

I thought it was a stage act set up to put on The New Music on City TV in Toronto each week. TNM must have given the group about 2/3 of its TV exposure... :d

Much enjoyed by this 13 year old at the time.

MilMascaras and speedracer like this.
  12. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

yeah, at a pigface show once- Genesis P-orridge pushed me off the stage onto a bondage queen whose boyfriend was very annoyed and proceeded to chase me around the room for a couple laps before he calmed down. Yay Chicago scene lol! :)

speedracer likes this.
  13. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I remember the Cincinnati Who Concert event when I was child. So no, we didn't rush the stage. Most concerts I attended as youth in the '80s was pretty calm even with a majority of the concerts being open seating. If you wanted to get to the stage, you could just make your way to it. By the third song, I was usually by the barrier. Then when I went to college, the pit became a thing. I think a lot of people didn't want to be bothered with the pit so, people mostly just let the pit open up.

speedracer likes this.
  14. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Nope.

Have moved up to the stage on occasion (with the rest of the crowd) towards the end of a concert when there was room, but no, never have felt the need to bum rush the stage.

speedracer likes this.
  15. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Nope. Out of principle.

I was in row 1, dead centre, for The Boomtown Rats in 1981 or so, and during the first song the stage rushers found their way in front of me for the rest of the show. It was still great, actually, but it annoyed the heck out of me.

Strat-Mangler and speedracer like this.
  16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Haha... I had my chance at the last Nick Cave show but: No foking way. There's mobiles everywhere nowadays so I behaved myself.

speedracer likes this.
  17. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Yes got on the stage during Iggy’s stage invasion, at the Hammersmith in London 2010, ended up on YouTube.

speedracer likes this.
  18. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

When I saw the Stones in '94, we were pretty close to one of the wings of the stage. Towards the end of the show, Keith Richards ran down it slapping audience members' hands, and I was later told I jumped about ten feet trying to reach him (didn't quite make it, but I still got within a few feet of him).

At the same show, a woman jumped on stage close to Mick, who made a "no-no-no" finger wag at her, and she was tackled by about five previously unseen security people within seconds. It was like the secret service. I always contrast that to Springsteen, who regularly ventures out into the crowd, crowd surfs, drinks audience members' beers, etc.

It was a mess getting out of the floor section at the end of the show, and eventually a bunch of people starting climbing over the same stage wing to get to an exit. Security was long gone at that point. It was pretty cool to stand on the Stones' stage, if for about two seconds.

speedracer likes this.
  19. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

At Max Weinberg's shows, he regularly invited everybody to get on stage during the last number. I was confused about what he was saying, so I didn't do it (by the time I figured it out, the stage was pretty much filled up). I regretted that, people were standing three feet away from him as he played. Not an opportunity you get very often.

speedracer likes this.
  20. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

I saw The Ramones in Birmingham England in 78. Tightest security ever due to the IRA bombings. Never been searched before at a show. We were given warnings verbally and written that if anyone left their seats and ran to the front the show would be halted. We had travelled from Liverpool. It was a very hostile atmosphere. The Ramones come on and immediately everyone bar us run to the front of the stage!! Of course we then run and the show goes on!

speedracer likes this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, Upsala College- Melanie Concert maybe 1969? she was sitting in a chair on the stage performing...a bunch of us kids just jumped onto the stage next to her...it was like a calm wave...I can still see it in slo-mo that's what it looked like! she loved it and did not have anyone removed...great show! great fun experience...I LOVE HER...huge fan and later became a friend...

speedracer likes this.
  22. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Feist invited the audience onto the stage to dance when she played the Royal Albert Hall around 2012, I think it was. The Wife and I were sitting in the front row so it seemed rude not to clamber up on stage....so I’ve performed on the same stage that Hendrix and Led Zeppelin have!

speedracer likes this.
  23. recordhead

recordhead Forum Resident

Fabulous Thunderbirds. 1992-ish. They were doing "I'm A Man" and I decided I'd spell the letters out cheerleader style for the crowd. Sad part, I wasn't drunk. Just love the T-Birds.

wrappedinsky and speedracer like this.
  24. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

No, never ventured onto a stage. I'm just a fan, and I don't belong there.

Strat-Mangler and speedracer like this.
  25. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Nope.

speedracer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.