Have you not made a purchase of an album because you could stream it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickH, Jan 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Same

2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Any album with only one mastering (which is most albums from the last 25 years) will sound the same. What is the point of having a CD of something that sounds like Death Magnetic?

3. geezin'

geezin' Forum Resident

I enjoy owning the physical even though I back up everything. It's just reassuring.

Bill007, m3kcomp and April Snow like this.
  4. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

It's definitely made me a lot more selective in what I buy,for example with the latest Springsteen and Gorillaz albums I would have probably just brought them without as a much as a second thought but after streaming them I'm happy just listening to them at home without having to pick up a physical copy.

With my purchases now I will only really blind buy if it's one of my all time favourite artists (like Radiohead) or it's an album I really love and have a streamed a few times beforehand.

Bill007 and Changingman like this.
  5. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I see. I’d like to do a comparison of Death Magnetic so I can understand what you are saying. What streaming service do you use so I can do the same comparison?

6. Sanctuary

Sanctuary Forum Resident

I have never streamed anything but own a vast collection of physical media. I’m no snob towards streaming but ownership is a key part of my music experience. Holding the release in my hands and poring through the liner notes while the music plays is more or less baked into my music experience by now. If I want to listen to something I may not have I’ll throw it on You Tube and then eventually buy it if it tickles my senses. The audio quality of streaming to me( on some areas) is also too below par for me.

7. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

I’ve been listening to West Coast by Freedom Fry and it can only be obtained by streaming. There’s no physical format.
    If it was on cd I’d buy it

Changingman likes this.
  8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

More and more. Lots of the Dicks Picks, Niel Young Archives 1...

9. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

To hold in your bare hands a piece of Metal history.

Mr D likes this.
  10. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

No. I’m relatively new to streaming, having only got into Spotify after seemingly years of nagging from my wife and daughter. I use it mainly to try out new albums that I’m curious about or to listen to stuff I already have. (I don’t have a CD player on the first floor of my house.) Sometimes I buy the CD after checking the stream out and sometimes I hear it and I’m glad I didn’t!

Mr-Beagle likes this.
  11. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

Playing one right now on Amazon ........Trader Horne 'Morning Way' .......do intend to rectify when I next have an 'Event' , probably Fathers day .
    Could have bought this album many times over the last 50 years ....but, oh well, it is now on my list for the coming year.

12. irong

irong Forum Resident

I might stream an album-artist I'm not familiar with, or an album I'm not expecting to like from an artist I like (let's say I'm curious about Neil Young's Landing on Water), but after that if I think I'm likely to ever to listen to it more than 2-3 times, I'll buy it.

Mr-Beagle and Big Blue like this.
  13. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Um, so you have streamed music.

m3kcomp, all24bits, ARK and 2 others like this.
  14. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Absolutely
    I always ask myself “would I miss this album if it were to disappear by the forces that be?” If the answer is no, I will still listen to it on occasion but won’t purchase it outright and will allow my streaming contributions as payment for my plays.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  15. My internet service sucks. Streaming is not an option, so my answer is no.

Mr-Beagle and Big Blue like this.
  16. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I am sort of in a mixed environment. All my listening is now done from a digital library. But all of my sources until recently have been from physical media. I had only used streaming for music discovery. However in the past couple of months I have been buying ALAC downloads of albums to add to my library of new music releases because with those in my mind the mastering is the mastering. With archival music I still seek out a recommended mastering but there are not many of those I'm looking for. When it comes to audiophile releases I am interested in I want those masterings but to add to my digital library.

17. Sanctuary

Sanctuary Forum Resident

Yes I suppose you’re right but I felt we were talking Spotify, Tidal etc.. you know streaming services but I guess it’s probably preferable to find something snarky to say and totally miss my point.

18. walrus

Actually, maybe that was a bad comparison...turns out there's actually a remaster of it that's slightly less terrible than the original, although i don't think it's been largely publicized. So you'll actually get a better sounding version via streaming than from your 2008 CD.

Maybe try it for Hardwired, the stream and the CD will be exactly the same (and probably hurt your ears if you try to do all 80 minutes at once). Or Iron Maiden's The Book Of Souls, or any modern Pet Shop Boys album, any 21st century Megadeth, etc...I mean, they're all going to sound super compressed, there's nothing to be gained by listening to them on CD. Doesn't even matter what streaming service you use, honestly (outside of maybe the free Spotify tier, which really does have a poor bitrate)

19. walrus

I wish that still gave me any level of excitement. At some point the novelty just wore off and I stopped caring entirely outside of whatever was going into my earholes.

JM Jones likes this.
  20. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

Streaming has probably saved me from buying hundreds of albums. I only buy stuff if I really want it and either can't stream it or there's a much better master that I can buy but can't stream.

rodentdog and Kristofa like this.
  21. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I see. I didn’t realize they were all the same quality-wise. I mostly use Spotify so I’ll try that.

thanks

22. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I only stream as a reference. If I want something I buy it.

Kristofa and Chemguy like this.
  23. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Same. If it was on vinyl, cut from the tapes, I’d get it. But it’s on super quality streaming from NYA, so I’m content.

I have not purchased a ton of albums that I regularly stream because they’re not analogue. And that’s not totally true, because there are some digitally recorded vinyl albums that pass the test and get purchased. That test is...What do other forum members think of it?

RayS likes this.
  24. Yes, but mostly because through streaming I discovered how crappy the album was, thus saving myself from wasting $ as I might've done years earlier.

25. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Yes. Only if the record or CD is hard to find or expensive, I am alright with streaming the album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.