Have you not made a purchase of an album because you could stream it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickH, Jan 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nomad

Nomad Forum Resident

For me personally, it depends on the artist and their wares so to speak. I always purchase albums be it CD, Record or Tape (I generally purchase music second hand now), but for singles/hits, yes I stream or visit Youtube. After losing much of my downloaded music through an issue with Apple Ipod, I believe in "once bitten, twice shy". I refuse to buy albums online again, regardless of how many digital backups I have made. I do not trust digital content saved on any hard drive. This is my reason why I still buy physical media, be it Music, Films, TV Shows, Video Games and even all my photos are in hard copy.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  2. Waterloo17

Waterloo17 Forum Resident

100% streaming here. I don’t own a device that can playback any physical media, audio or video.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  3. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

Probably you own one that can play downloaded files that you have purchased, though. That's my preferred way of buying music these days, on those occasions when I buy. I don't want the physical clutter.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  4. Hershey

Hershey I'm gonna meet you on the astral plane

Me too.....actually I really dislike the whole idea behind streaming... not owning anything, being beholden to some one else who can easily remove artists if they decide too.
    But...I also use it to check out music I've read about but not heard.... case in point 'Cavern of Antimatter' read about them now I have 3 of their albums after listening to them on Spotify.
    Haha.. not my account though....the wifes'.

5. Solaresque

Solaresque Forum Resident

I voted no, but I have used a streaming service to listen to an album and then decided not to buy it. (Should I have voted yes?)

6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

In my mind, the distinction is that you probably don’t repeatedly stream it after having made that decision, right? I would still call that a “no” here.

7. Horace Wimp

Horace Wimp The 39,891st Beatle

Never. I don't stream.

clip likes this.
  8. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

No but there are plenty of albums I have not purchased because I know I will eventually find them cheaper used. (Talking CD of course, I rarely expect LP vinyl bargains for newer releases.)
    I am lucky to live in an area that still has great used music stores.
    I do occasionally listen to a Pandora "channel" at work. I think last one I listened to was the" Tom Petty Channel".

9. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

Nor do I except for the occasional Youtube video. I don't have a spotify account and don't use my amazon account for music.

Sear and Horace Wimp like this.
  10. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

I only have free Spotify and only use it to preview albums that might come on my radar, then if I like them I buy the album either on CD or Vinyl (and often both formats).
    My internet can be patchy, so feel no need to pay for premium and I do prefer Vinyl to listen to my music as my preferred medium.

11. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Yes, all the time it's just the way if the world pretty much.

12. clip

clip peDtaH 'ej chIS qo'

I’m not going into the ethics and the consequences of music streaming services, but I don’t, and won’t use any of them. It’s bad enough having to (very) occasionally buy off Amazon, but I will only buy the physical media. I refuse to pay someone for the “rights” to listen to it. I do use YouTube to audition a particular track, but I don’t subscribe to their music channel.

13. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

I use streaming (and itunes track previews) the way I used to use listening posts in the 80s and 90s and going down to the local record shop on a Saturday morning and talking to the counter staff in the years before that.

I have checked out dozens of albums on streaming that I might have once bought on spec because of a review or word of mouth and decided against spending the money as a result.

What that has meant is that more money has gone to the artists and records I really like.

My satisfaction strike rate has gone up from maybe 1 purchase in 3 or 4 that I end up really loving to closer to 80%.

The obverse (where streaming has created a sale out of an automated recommendation) has happened maybe a tenth as often.

What I don't ever do is sate myself on an album I actually like via streaming and move on without spending.

clip likes this.
  14. Changingman

Changingman Forum Resident

If you buy the FLAC files and download the cover art you can always make your own CD-R. I’ve done that a few times. ;)

15. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

Thank you

I’ll put my top man on the case

Changingman likes this.
  16. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

Buy an extra hardrive, back up all of your files, store it at another location (a friend or relatives). Your music will be *more* secure than if you owned a bunch of Vinyl or CDs which could easily all go up in flames if it's all held in one location and you don't have copies.

ARK and Terrapin Station like this.
  17. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Buying and owning music in physical format is what makes me happy. I use streaming only to test the music. If I like it, I buy the record or CD.

thehatandbeard likes this.
  18. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Listening FLAC files or streaming I can't find the same enjoyment as listening a record or CD

19. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I want to own the music. I feel more free than just listening what the internet corporations cater

20. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I've streamed a few albums in 2020, didn't buy any. I think streaming will be the way for me to go from now on. An album will have to be one of the best things I've ever heard in order for me to buy it at this late date.

sharedon likes this.
  21. Centralscrutinizer

Centralscrutinizer Forum Resident

I think of Spotify as filling the role that the radio did when I was younger, it's a place where I discover what I'm going to buy.

Big Blue and sharedon like this.
  22. Waterloo17

Waterloo17 Forum Resident

Maybe, but I don’t buy downloads either. It’s 100% subscription based for me. I under the “they can take it all away at any moment” argument. I’m not concerned about it though.

23. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

No, now 81 vs 81

24. side3

side3 Younger Than Yesterday

I rarely buy any more. The exceptions are I still buy new music from Paul McCartney and Mike Viola, as well as The Beatles' boxsets. Almost anything I want to listen to is on Spotify, though a lot of times I end of listening to stuff I own on CD. I do find frustrating exceptions though. I made a playlist for The Who, and found that all of John Entwistle, studio albums are missing, as well as Roger Daltrey's early solo albums like One of the Boys, which is my fav. But overall, the money I pay for Spotify saves me a lot of cash.

25. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Exactly. I have two backups of everything (so three copies total), with one stored in another location.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.