Hawkwind - Warrior on the Edge of Time remaster to be released May 2013

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rodney Toady, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace Thread Starter

PRESS RELEASE
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 13th FEBRUARY 2013

HAWKWIND
    Warrior on the Edge of Time

Atomhenge, the Cherry Red Records label managed by Esoteric Recordings, the home of the entire HAWKWIND catalogue released between 1975 and 1997, are very pleased to announce that the classic HAWKWIND album "WARRIOR ON THE EDGE OF TIME" will be released in May 2013 as a newly remastered edition from the original stereo master tapes. Atomhenge label manager Mark Powell said, "Contrary to popular myth, the master tapes of this classic album were never lost. They remained in the United Artists vaults. The Atomhenge reissue will be the first ever CD edition to be taken from the original first generation master tapes. All previous editions have been taken from vinyl transfers or inferior copy master tapes".

Aside from a single disc remastered edition, there will be two other expanded editions of the album. Mark Powell adds, "I'm extremely pleased to say that Steven Wilson has mixed the album into a stunning 5.1 Surround Sound mix from the original multi-track master tapes and has also undertaken a new stereo mix of the album which has an amazing depth and clarity whilst remaining faithful to the original release. 'Warrior' is one of THE classic albums of the 1970s and is a land-mark album in Hawkwind's history. The forthcoming reissues will do justice this magnificent record".

Full details of the editions of 'Warrior' will be announced in the coming weeks. Cherry Red managing director, Adam Velasco added, "The album 'Warrior on the Edge of Time' has been unavailable officially on CD for many years and it is our intention to make the forthcoming releases definitive editions in terms of audio remastering (from the original master tapes), content and packaging".

Graham likes this.
  2. Graham

Graham Forum Resident

Yes! Fantastic news. Been searching for a decent, affordable version of this on vinyl for a while.

3. Mike Riding

Mike Riding Forum Resident

Finally. What fans have been waiting some time for and with a 5.1 mix by Steven Wilson. Can't wait.

jsayers likes this.
  4. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Love this record.

5. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Great news, I used to play "Warrior" all the time back in 1975, along with "Hall of the Mountain Grill".

6. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

7. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

"I'm extremely pleased to say that Steven Wilson has mixed the album into a stunning 5.1 Surround Sound mix from the original multi-track master tapes and has also undertaken a new stereo mix of the album which has an amazing depth and clarity whilst remaining faithful to the original release. 'Warrior' is one of THE classic albums of the 1970s and is a land-mark album in Hawkwind's history.
    :love: :love:
    Finally! and in 5.1!!!!!!!!!! Will they add the Kings of Speed b side "Motorhead"?

8. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

Glad to see that myth about the missing master tapes dispelled.

This will be a fascinating release. The dense sound was flattened further by the nth-generation source for the Griffin CD, so even the original stereo masters should be quite something. Lord knows where the SW remixes will take this album.

9. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Yippee! A fantastic album that really needed a quality reissue, and a SW 5.1 mix is a super-sweet thick layer of icing on top! I'm super-stoked for this one...can't wait!

10. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Definitely good news, and proof there is still interest out there in hard copy of esoteric releases. The Griffin CD sounds quite veiled...

11. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

Well Beam Me Up! I'm in.

JonMcK likes this.
  12. playbass

playbass Forum Resident

I can't wait to get my hands on this album. Hopefully there are some extras included beyond the 5.1 new mix. I'm sure there are some live tracks lying around worth including.

13. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

Missing is a relative state of affairs though. I've had plenty of stuff go missing only to find it again. The fact that so many of the reissues of this album were done from dodgy nth gen sources certainly suggested that the original master was unavailable, for any number of reasons.

This one is an auto buy for me.

14. No.9

No.9 Member

Hummm... Wonder if this will follow suit with the recent ELP releases.
    If I recall, with ELP releases, there was a last minute change from 5.1 DTS to DVDA. Hi-rez DVDA or Blu-ray Audio please!!

15. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

I've bought quite a few Esoteric releases, and this is the first (to my knowledge) where they have gone beyond just a CD. I hope they get the full KC treatment, CD plus DVD with 24-bit original mix, new stereo mix and new 5.1. I hope they don't succumb to the compromises we saw with ELP and Caravan's ITLOGAP.

My only live Hawkwind was their WOTEOT tour, so this album has always been on my playlist.

16. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

I think I have had a few with DVDs and they ahve been very limited releases,
    Ray Thomas 'from mighty Oaks' was a limited Dulby release of the original Quad DVD.
    Tony Banks A Curious feeling' also was a limited Dulby DVD.

Sqacket was also a DVD

17. seg763

seg763 Forum Resident

"I'm extremely pleased to say that Steven Wilson has mixed the album into a stunning 5.1 Surround Sound mix from the original multi-track master tapes and has also undertaken a new stereo mix of the album which has an amazing depth and clarity whilst remaining faithful to the original release.

Great, great news!

18. Great news! An album that sorely needed a remaster and remix gets it!

19. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

20. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Damn - might have to start smoking pot again......:laugh:

Count me in for this one at any rate!

Tensilversaxes likes this.
  21. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

This is one of my favorite albums, I have the United Artists release on vinyl but I am looking forward to this cd because then I can play it in the car also!

22. Hi guys

Finally--just announcing the May remasters of Warrior on the Edge of Time.

Im listing content below simply because I don’t know how well this mailing programme can cope with attachments--and also at your end-you may get rejections with attachments.

anyway guys (and the occasional gal) heres the low down

May 25th release

3 editions---single CD, 3 disc deluxe clamshell (like Levitation) or the all singing , all dancing box set, complete with exact vinyl replica, large book, poster, postcards etc. --see text for details.

Those that buy direct from Cherry Red will also receive a unique bonus download of the first run through of "Assault and Battery" . This will only be available for those that order the full box set and direct from the website.

SINGLE EDITION (DIGIPACK)

“WARRIOR ON THE EDGE OF TIME”
    Remastered original stereo master tapes:

1. Assault and Battery / The Golden Void
    2. The Wizard Blew His Horn
    3. Opa-Loka
    4. The Demented Man
    5. Magnu
    6. Standing at the Edge
    7. Spiral Galaxy 28948
    8. Warriors
    9. Dying Seas
    10. Kings of Speed

Bonus track:

11. Motorhead

B-side of single – Released in March 1975

• ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • 3 Disc Edition (Clamshell box)

• THE LONG AWAITED OFFICIAL EXPANDED 3 DISC DELUXE REMASTERED EDITION OF HAWKWIND’S CLASSIC 1975 ALBUM
    • FEATURING THE FIRST EVER REMASTERED VERSION MADE FROM THE ORIGINAL ANALOGUE MASTER TAPES ON CD ONE PLUS 8 BONUS TRACKS, FIVE PREVIOUSLY OFFICIALLY UNRELEASED
    • CD TWO FEATURES A NEW STEREO MIX BY STEVEN WILSON MADE FROM THE MULTI-TRACK MASTER TAPES PLUS 5 BONUS TRACKS, TWO PREVIOUSLY OFFICIALLY UNRELEASED
    • DISC THREE – NTSC REGION FREE DVD FEATURING NEW 5.1 SURROUND & STEREO MIXES OF “WARRIOR ON THE EDGE OF TIME” BY STEVEN WILSON & A 96 kHz 24-BIT FLAT TRANSFER OF THE ORIGINAL 1975 STEREO MASTER TAPES
    • ALSO FEATURES BOOKLET WITH PHOTOS, MEMORABILIA & ESSAY

ATOMHENGE, the home of HAWKWIND’s catalogue from 1975 – 1997, are pleased to announce the long awaited release of a definitive edition of the classic 1975 album “WARRIOR ON THE EDGE OF TIME”. Recorded in 1975, the album is a ground-breaking classic of Hawkwind’s career. Featuring a line-up of DAVE BROCK, NIK TURNER, LEMMY, SIMON HOUSE, SIMON KING & ALAN POWELL, the album is arguably one of the finest rock albums of the mid-1970s. This Atomhenge edition marks the first time that the original analogue stereo master tapes have been used for a remastered edition. This set also features a wonderful 5.1 Surround Sound remix from the original 16-track master tapes by Steven Wilson, who has also undertaken a splendid new stereo remix. The set also features a total of thirteen bonus tracks drawn from out-takes of the recording sessions and the 1975 Watchfield Festival, seven of which are previously unreleased. This deluxe edition of “WARRIOR ON THE EDGE OF TIME” is a def
    initive release of this classic album.

DISC ONE

The remastered original stereo master tapes:

3. Opa-Loka
    4. The Demented Man
    5. Magnu
    6. Standing at the Edge
    7. Spiral Galaxy 28948
    8. Warriors
    9. Dying Seas
    10. Kings of Speed

Bonus tracks:

11. Motorhead

B-side of single – Released in March 1975

12. Soldiers at the Edge of Time
    (Michael Moorcock version)
    13. On the Road
    14. The Wizard Blew His Horn (Nik Turner version)
    15. Spiral Galaxy 28948 (demo)
    16. Soldiers at the Edge of Time (Nik Turner version)

Recorded at Rockfield Studios, Monmouth in March 1975
    Previously unreleased

17. Motorhead (Dave Brock vocal version)
    18. Kings of Speed (instrumental version)

Recorded at Olympic Studios, Barnes in January 1975

DISC TWO
    New stereo mixes by Steven Wilson:

3. Opa-Loka
    4. The Demented Man
    5. Magnu
    6. Standing at the Edge
    7. Spiral Galaxy 28948
    8. Warriors
    9. Dying Seas
    10. Kings of Speed

Bonus tracks:

11. Motorhead (instrumental demo)
    12. Dawn

Recorded at Rockfield Studios, Monmouth in March 1975
    Previously unreleased

13. Watchfield Festival Jam
    14. Circles
    15. I Am the Eye

Recorded at the Watchfield Free Festival on 23rd August 1975

DISC THREE – REGION FREE NTSC DVD

5.1 Surround Sound & new Stereo mixes by Steven Wilson:

3. Opa-Loka
    4. The Demented Man
    5. Magnu
    6. Standing at the Edge
    7. Spiral Galaxy 28948
    8. Warriors
    9. Dying Seas
    10. Kings of Speed

Dolby 5.1 Surround, DTS 5.1 Surround Sound & DVD-A Lossless files playback options

96kHz 24-Bit Flat transfer of the original 1975 stereo master tapes:

3. Opa-Loka
    4. The Demented Man
    5. Magnu
    6. Standing at the Edge
    7. Spiral Galaxy 28948
    8. Warriors
    9. Dying Seas
    10. Kings of Speed

Dolby 5.1 Surround, DTS 5.1 Surround Sound & DVD-A Lossless files playback options

WARRIOR ON THE EDGE OF TIME BOX SET

ALL THE CONTENT FROM THE 3 DISC VERSION PLUS THE FOLLOWING HOUSED IN A BEAUTIFUL BOX-----PHIL SMEE PACKAGE.

• 180g VINYL LP FACSIMILE EDITION WITH “SHIELD” GATEFOLD SLEEVE & INNER BAG (cut from the original analogue cutting master tapes)

• ALSO INCLUDES:
    - DELUXE 48 PAGE BOOK WITH PHOTOS, MEMORABILIA & ESSAY
    - A REPRODUCTION OF THE AMERICAN IN-STORE PROMOTIONAL POSTER
    - A REPLICA CONCERT TICKET FROM DETROIT IN 1975
    - THREE PROMOTIONAL POSTCARDS

FOR THOSE THAT PURCHASE THE FULL BOX SET DIRECT FROM ATOMHENGE THERE WILL ALSO BE A UNIQUE DOWNLOAD ENCLOSED OF THE FIRST RUN THROUGH OF ASSAULT AND BATTERY

The vinyl will only be available as part of the box--we are not doing a separate vinyl pressing.

The box set will be a limited edition and once the first press has gone--that will be it.

Pre sell should start within the next 5 days and I will send out an alert. Im sure there will be the "why not XXX" etc. Please be aware we are conscious of only using really good quality material. The bonus download with the box wasnt felt to be quite 100% , although interesting and was left off--but makes a great bonus!

23. Graham

Graham Forum Resident

Thanks for the update. Three-disc edition for me.

24. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

3 disc set for me, no doubt about it...so looking fwd to the 5.1 mix of this, and a real lossless dvd-a to boot...great news.

25. Yep 3 disk version for me too. Some of the bonus tracks are familiar, though I don't think I have heard "Dawn" before. I am more interested in the stereo remix and 5.1 versions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.