"HAZEL BUYS A COLOR TV" complete rare color NBC episode, November, 1961..

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

TOP CAT is something I haven't seen since I was a kid and I never saw it in color. I got that it was the cat version of SGT. BILKO..

Michael likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, exactly...pick up the DVD box set it worth every penny and if you don't remember it in color you'll have a blast watching it with your children!

3. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Used to love T C as a kid.

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I wonder why it only lasted one season...

5. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

It's somewhat interesting to note that a number of the shows discussed in this thread all aired on a couple of days of the week in the fall of 1961. The Wednesday-Thursday schedule:

Fall1961.jpg

Note that the "color" TOP CAT and THE JOEY BISHOP SHOW aired opposite each other (assuming your ABC affiliate even had color capability - ours did in Philly) on Wednesday evenings. And HAZEL aired the following night.

Harry

6. Michael

all the Color we wanted in the NYC area back then.:)

7. Michael

30 episodes...that's at least 2-3 years worth of show today! even back then we had more bang for the buck...I guess T.C. wanted more money! and they canned the show!;)

8. Michael

I had all the Tinykins Marx micro TOP CAT figures back in 1962! I treasured them. Wish I still had them as they are expensive today on ebay!

9. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Man, you ain't kiddin'.

10. Steve Hoffman

I know, right?

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Is this color version available on the First Season DVD set in this color version?

12. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

The Virginian was a show from this era that was like this. They had a lot of cast changes over the eight year run, with a lot of people leaving for various reasons (pay disputes, wanted to do something else, died, etc.) and they almost never even tried to explain the sudden disappearance of previously central characters. The main man himself though, James Drury, stayed with the show for the whole 8 year run. Starting in 1962 they made more than 220 90-minute (75 minutes w/o the commercials) mini Western movies in color, with major guest stars (Bette Davis, Jack Warden, Leonard Nimoy, Vera Miles, etc) and location photography. The Virginian had, I think, the biggest budget of any show on TV in 1962: $350,000, which would be about $3 million today—if you could even make a show like that...

The first episode of the second season explains the tragic back story of Trampas, played by Doug McClure, who also stayed with the show for the whole run.

13. nopedals

nopedals Forum Resident

Fun thread. I am in the category of remembering picking shows to watch because they were in color. We got our color TV in 1964 (Yankee Cardinal world series). I seem to recall that it cost my mother $400; a real extravagance. Bonanza and Disney wide world of color are the ones that come to mind. I could not afford a color set myself until 1984.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  14. Michael

my grandparents had a color TV...I watched a lot of Color TV over at their house! only a few blocks away! it was great!

Larry Geller likes this.
  15. Michael

No...

16. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Don't forget that "The Adventures Of Superman" was filmed in color for several seasons back in the
    fifties............
    "Beginning in 1954, producer Whitney Ellsworth ordered that the show be shot in color, even though its first-run broadcasts were still being transmitted in black and white. By the time a large number of TV fans owned color sets (and were clamoring for color programming), Adventures Of Superman had banked 52 episodes’ worth of a guy in a bright red-and-blue suit, leaping tall buildings in a single bound. "

EVOLVIST and Mister Charlie like this.
  17. Michael

I own all the DVDs and remember the show in B&W...

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I believe by the last season, each episode of Lost ballooned to about $4.5 million! The average cost for a 1-hour network shot today is about $2 million-$3 million. Cable shows like Breaking Bad and Dexter are slightly lower, but edge up another 5%-10% every year due to cast raises (but they only shoot 12 episodes a year).

Hazel was a weird show, but I do remember watching it as a kid. My parents had to explain to me that Shirley Booth was an extremely gifted Broadway actress, but it must have been a comedown for her to play a wisecracking maid (no matter how much NBC paid her).

Mister Charlie and benjaminhuf like this.
  19. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

You can't just throw them old ones away like Kleenex :)

20. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

No, TVs back then were not as disposable like they seem to be today. Those big console jobbies were built to last - and last they did. People weren't in a hurry to get rid of their fine furniture, especially if the TV in it was still working, black & white or not. As long as the TV repairman could keep it going, it was worth keeping.

So the switch to color was a lot longer process than, say, the switch to digital. I think it was sometime in the mid '70s that TV GUIDE finally stopped putting TVGuideCOLOR.JPG next to shows and began indicating black & white instead in an effort to reduce clutter in the magazine.

Harry

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  21. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Hazel used to always piss me off as a kid. It was loosely termed a comedy, but it seemed like Hazel ended up getting her feelings hurt and crying every other episode. If I had a housekeeper, I'd just want them to shut up and clean something.

22. Steve Hoffman

I checked to see if the HAZEL episode in the first post was still up and no, it's gone, dang it. Sorry..

But the color intro (1961) is on this. Note Don's bandaged hand.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  23. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Forum Resident

An episode of HIGHWAY PATROL and a Christmas episode of DRAGNET were in color in the mid-1950's. Also SCIENCE FICTION THEATER, THE CISCO KID and THE LONE RANGER.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  24. kippy

kippy Forum Resident

"HAZEL - What'l..." The YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement.
    :shake:

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And Superman! At least from the third season on.

But in truth, filmed color TV shows were very rare prior to 1966. NBC had some, but they were shooting lots of B&W all the way through 1965.

It's funny how TV turned to color right around the same time that the music business started turning from mono to stereo...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    guy incognito likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.