"HAZEL BUYS A COLOR TV" complete rare color NBC episode, November, 1961..

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

And of course, let's not forget the weirdness that was BLACK & WHITE commercials on color tv shows as late as 1968-70. Just like low def commercials on High Def programs. Advertisers are sometimes the last to take advantage of new technology..

GuildX700 and Vidiot like this.
  2. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

I own the first season DVD of the Hazel series. The color episode is included. In color!

-Steve D.

MarkTheShark likes this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think are some 1970 B&W commercials still up on YouTube here and there. I seem to recall during one of the Bobby Kennedy retrospectives they went back and forth between B&W news footage and color footage, so the news departments had not yet completely switched over to color.

I'm still really, really bothered by modern 2014 commercials -- especially in 2014! -- that are either in standard-def or are being presented in 4x3. It's just lame and stupid, especially when you know it's a million-dollar advertiser like McDonald's or GM.

GuildX700 likes this.
  4. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

It's always interesting reading about the history of American TV. We in NZ didn't get TV until June 10th 1960, and then that was only in Auckland. Dunedin, the fourth and final main center didn't get TV until July 1962!, and It was just the one channel, NZBC Television. Of course each center had a different localized channel/broadcast, for example in Dunedin it was DNTV-2, but they all shared mostly same programming.

TV wasn't linked up nationally until 1969, so tapes had to be lugged around across the country so the other stations could air the programs! Sometimes days later if there was a delay.

We finally got color tele down here in 1973, but stuff was still being done in black and white until full color rolled out in 1975, with the arival of the newly branded TV ONE, and a second channel! South Pacific Television (renamed TV2 in 1980). Both owned by TVNZ (who from the mid 70's until the late 80's it seems also went under the name BCNZ from looking at the credits of local comedy The Billy T. James Show).

Finally in 1989 we got a third TV channel, TV3, this time owned by a private enterprise, Mediaworks NZ. It went into liquidation a year later, but 25 years later it's still running, and is probably the best free-to-air channel of the lot. 1997 finally saw TV4 (known as C4 from 2003-11 and FOUR from 2011) come to air (also owned by Mediaworks) and at the end of the decade the then Australian owned PRIME (now owned by SKY Television NZ).

We have much more free-to-air channels now, but that's the history of the basic and important ones.

5. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Shirley Booth owned a piece of Hazel the series. That was unusual for the time.

According to Wikipedia, which names and dates them, Wagon Train aired five episodes in color during its NBC run, the Ward Bond years. These episodes are in black and white on the recent MeTV run, which has ended for now. Are they in color on the DVDs?

6. Steve Hoffman

Pretty sure WAGON TRAIN was on ABC. Am I misremembering? It's been a long time.

7. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Wagon Train, from Wikipedia:

NBC run
    • Wednesday, 7:30–8:30 p.m.: September 18, 1957 – June 13, 1962
    ABC run
    • Wednesday, 7:30–8:30 p.m.: September 19, 1962 – June 5, 1963
    • Monday, 8:30–10:00 p.m.: September 16, 1963 – April 27, 1964
    • Sunday, 7:30–8:30 p.m.: September 20, 1964 – May 2, 1965
    ..."five color episodes (October 4, 1961 – Polly Bergen – "Kitty Albright Story", November 1, 1961 – Carolyn Jones – "Jenna Douglas Story", December 6, 1961 – Dana Wynter – "Lizabeth Ann Calhoun Story", February 7, 1962 – Gary Clarke – "Lonnie Fallon Story", and March 14, 1962 – Paul Fix – "Amos Billings Story") during the fifth season (1961–62) on NBC (to help promote the sales of parent company RCA's color television sets)."

Unfortunately I now see these were after Ward Bond. And, the recent MeTV run ended the one hour versions with the episode just before John McIntire joined as a regular - although a few late openings list him - and looped back to the first episode. This recent run is the first time I ever tried to follow the series.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    Steve Hoffman likes this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

Thanks...

The NBC stuff was renamed "WAGONMASTER" in syndication, right?

9. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

It must have been tricky. It was "Major Adams, Trailmaster" for the Bond episodes, then "Trailmaster" without Bond. I'd like to see those openings, once.

10. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

And lots of people went from five senses to six. :D

[​IMG]

fr in sc likes this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Sadly the show isn't on YouTube that I could find. Anyone else?

12. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

The series is currently airing on Antenna TV weekdays at 11 and 11:30 Eastern. Currently they are in season 3.

13. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.