HBO Julia Childs Series*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Raylinds, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer Thread Starter

I am likely to be in the minority here, but I find this interesting:

With the debut of The French Chef in 1963, television made Julia Child a star. Now, almost sixty years later, the late celebrity chef is returning to TV yet again—not as a host, of course, but as the lead character in a dramatic series based around her life.

Julia—as the show will be called—is billed as being "inspired by Julia Child's extraordinary life and her long-running television series, The French Chef, which pioneered the now popular genre of cooking shows." The series—which will star two-time British Academy Television Awards winner Sarah Lancashire as the famed chef—will also explore "an evolving time in American history—the emergence of public television as a new social institution, feminism and the women's movement, the nature of celebrity and America's cultural growth. At its heart, the series is a portrait of a loving marriage with an evolving and complicated power dynamic."

Coppertop Tester likes this.
  2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i can't imagine anyone doing julie child better than meryl streep, she was magnificent.

Coppertop Tester and bholz like this.
  3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

uh...excuse me...

Simon A, ZackyDog, Blair G. and 9 others like this.
  4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Julia Child - Wikipedia
    Maybe not as much drama here as a TV show calls for, but it should be interesting.

5. Looking forward to those steamy sex scenes, yo! :p

Simon A likes this.
  6. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

looking forward to those body-slamming moments with the raisin bread dough.

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I have caught the first two episodes as in-flight entertainment, and enjoyed them, although there are some little technical things that irk me, like shots of a Simplex electric clock accompanied by the sound of a ticking clock.

Simon A likes this.
  8. teag

teag Forum Resident

Agree.

And if for anyone who knows the story about Julia and Paul from the best biographies written on them, this series take many liberties with the truth in the interest of ratings.

Chris DeVoe and MLutthans like this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Hardly necessary! She had an amazing life, even before she had fame as a television cook.

I loved Meryl Streep's performance of her in the film Julie and Julia, but I honestly would have preferred a straight Julia Child biopic.

10. AndyTaylor

AndyTaylor Forum Resident

Not watching unless this is the intro theme.

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I used to like this guy best.

12. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

“Save the liver!”

13. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I have had the good fortune to meet and work with Graham over the last few years, and he is truly a delightful person.

14. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'll always remember that SNL Julia Child sketch, because immediately after that was Kate Bush.

Simon A likes this.
  15. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

16. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Enjoying the second series more than the first, three episodes in. It must be Provence….The characters seem more fully formed, and there are some good new ones. Sarah Lancashire is great, as ever. On Sky Atlantic over here.

17. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

My wife and I enjoyed season one and are enjoying season two. I do get tired of some the characters' affectations, especially Julia's, but it's entertaining overall.

18. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

Still amid season 1.
    I love it.

19. greenhorn

greenhorn Forum Resident

I loved season 1. Bold and brave :)
    I found season 2 to be a bit of a wet blanket. Conflict and drama :cry:
    The acting and characters are very good with a season 2 character exception.
    Just my opinion, thanks.