HBO' s "Succession" Any Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

The one thing better than having characters to root for is to have characters that you wish every type of harm to & the show absolutely tortures them. My wife & I have watched it together so far but she's ready to bail. I'm holding out waiting for the torture to start.

dmiller458 likes this.
  2. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

We decided to give it one more try last night. Between the constant nasty language, the boring concept, the unsympathetic characters... We bailed permanently after five minutes.

audiomixer likes this.
  3. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

I have to say that I can stand a lot of shows, but this show has no redeeming value.
    I think it's meant to torture the viewer.

4. Success!

wayneklein likes this.
  5. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Love Sarah Snook. Will watch it just for her.

6. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I thought Greg was finally going to stand up to Tom at that party. I'm hoping that he's going to kick his @$$.

Humbuster likes this.
  7. I like the series so far. Great performances.

8. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I thought the previews looked interesting and that it had a lot of potential. What it seemed to deliver was a big budget “Lifestyles Of The Rich & Clueless”. After slogging through the first three episodes I gave up.

hbbfam and audiomixer like this.
  9. audiomixer

:laughup:

10. What? You don’t like that someone else had a different experience than you?

Old Mac likes this.
  11. audiomixer

I'm just glad that you're enjoying it and I'm not.

12. Yeah she gives a nicely nuanced performance. After the third episode the characters felt better rounded although the cousin character (with whom the audience is meant to identify and see through his eyes) is the only one that seems like he’s not a sociopath. The other side is that he is too naive which is the only criticism I have so far.

TurtleIsland likes this.
  13. Ok then. I wouldn’t say it is a show for every one and the characters/story might be too toxic for some. It’s from the creator of The Thick of If so I’m not surprised.

14. audiomixer

My take: Reality is toxic enough. I don't need to be reminded or "entertained" by it...

hbbfam likes this.
  15. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Empathy seems to be missing from a lot of new shows.

16. audiomixer

There is "zero"empathy in this show. That's what makes it so unbearable to watch. I wouldn't care less if they all died in some tragic accident at the same time.

If fact, that might be entertaining...

Pete Puma and hbbfam like this.
  17. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

That's a bingo!

The Fragile Mollusk likes this.
  18. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

Maybe not as naive as he appears -- wasn't he making insurance copies of all the documents he was tasked to shred in the last episode?

19. dmiller458

He was making copies of only certain select ones, probably the most damning ones.

20. Yep.

21. mrbobdobalina

It will be interesting to see how his character develops. I'm enjoying this series so far. Is it the best modern series I've ever seen? No. But it is holding my interest so far. And besides, I can't spend my entire viewing life watching reruns of "Have Gun Will Travel"!

22. dmiller458

"I may no longer be an officer and a gentleman, but I am not an assassin." --- Paladin

mrbobdobalina likes this.
  23. Terrific series. I would have loved to see it expanded to an hour.

mrbobdobalina and dmiller458 like this.
  24. mrbobdobalina

You've got to love an all black wearing, gun slinging bad-azz that can quote Shakespeare at the drop of a hat.

25. mrbobdobalina

Just thought I'd revive this thread. This show has me hooked -- each episode so far builds upon and surpasses the previous one. This could be (and is starting to look like) the next classic series from the "new golden age of television". If you opted out after the first couple of episodes, you might want to give it another chance, it's that good (IMHO).