HBO' s "Succession" Any Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Jun 14, 2018.

1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Thank you for pointing out how the world works.

2. GregM

GregM The expanding man

What's with the sarcasm? You made the point about them (possibly) going to ivy league schools as if that meant something. :shrug:

3. peelaaa

peelaaa Forum Resident

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  4. dmiller458

When you talk like everybody else is too stupid to know that the wealthy have advantages that the rest of us don't, it's insulting. You insult us and you're going to get sarcasm in return.

jpelg likes this.
  5. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

ok thanks

6. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

oh I see, I was watching episode 9 yesterday and thought it was a 10 episode season, didn’t realize that is was a shorter season. I’ll have to rewatch ep 9.

trd likes this.
  7. GregM

GregM The expanding man

The fact that they can't even come up with 10 episodes a season is further indication that they don't have much of a story to tell. To my point that Jesse Armstrong doesn't seem able or interested in moving the bar.

8. dmiller458

Couldn't possibly have anything to do with Covid and the way it impacted other contractual obligations the actors and crew might have had..

9. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

So the more episodes a show has in a season the more story they have to tell? Ha. If only. Succession lacks padding, stretching. filler, cornmeal product. 9 epidodes got this story told. Speculation has no value.

Tristero, rodrigosanche55 and Scotian like this.
  10. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

Heh what's that old Woody Allen joke, 2 people complaining about a restaurant: First person: "The food here is terrible!". 2nd person: "And such small portions!"

11. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

This is pretty entertaining:

12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

What story? Nothing happened in the entire season. Nine episodes and the characters pretty much ended up where they started at the beginning of the season. Zero trust, zero love and support, plenty of backstabbing and power mongering. It's the same episode over and over again with minor variations.

13. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I use to say pretty much the same comments about The Walking Dead & then I realized that life is too short to hate-watch shows I really didn’t like. So I quit watching & have found several other shows that I bitch less about. So it goes.

TurtleIsland likes this.
  14. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

If you don't find these people funny you are a vegan at a steakhouse.

jpelg and Scotian like this.
  15. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yeah, it's pretty entertaining but so are shaggy dog stories, which is exactly what this is.

16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Finished season 3. What a wonderful piece of television. Have nothing else to add other then look forward to a next season, and what do I watch next to replace this?

proedros and Luckless Pedestrian like this.
  17. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

I guess you didn't watch the same show I did:

Season 3 opens with Kendall on a high, just after he dropped the bomb about his father being completely aware of the sexual misconduct issues within Waystar. He (Kendall) is completely on the opposite side of his siblings. The DOJ is physically raiding Waystar's offices. Shiv is still attempting to salvage a mutually beneficial deal with Stewey & the Furness', with an expanded board. Logan is dead-set against a tech-co deal in any way. And Tom has offered himself up as the sacrificial lamb to take one for the Waystar team should an actual indictment against the company happen.

By the end of the season, the DOJ case has fallen apart. Tom (and by extension Greg) is no longer in danger of going to jail, but has gained much favor with Logan. However, as a result, Kendall is again broken to another low point. In a huge turn of events, Logan has structured a favorable buyout deal with GoJo. The Roy siblings (including Kendall) are now reunited against their father & the GoJo deal, but are screwed-over by Logan's restructuring his divorce terms with Caroline, thus giving him the control necessary for the deal.

OldSoul likes this.
  18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I started watching Succession but didn't get past 2-3 episodes. It really didn't interest me but I might give it another shot.

19. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I understand that, but it's a big shaggy dog story. The mania and delusions of grandeur of Logan's children at different points in the seasons aren't really "something happening" and it will just as easily unravel into depression or insecurity. Yes, there was a congressional hearing and the offices were raided, which gave the appearance something was happening. Nothing did, as you admit. Yes, Ken started out on a manic high to start season 3. It rapidly unraveled. How is this any different than his manic high to start season 1 that rapidly unraveled?

It all supports my position, "nothing happens" -- likewise the Tom/Greg danger of going to jail. If something big happened, I would admire the show a lot more. It's been 3 seasons now and the more the characters are supposedly faced with change, the more things stay exactly same. I'm skeptical of the season 3 wrap that suggests some changes. If/when I see those changes baked in, I'll adjust my thinking about the show. But I predict things will go along as they have with very minor variations.

20. Danny Duberstein

Danny Duberstein Forum Resident

Yes, that’s what the show is about lol. That’s the joke. They’re a bunch of dysfunctional narcissists incapable of personal growth.

Funniest show on tv at the moment. I will go back and watch again from the beginning soon.

proedros and jpelg like this.
  21. GregM

GregM The expanding man

It's not that funny, but it is entertaining. Three years of Succession is nowhere near as funny or cringeworthy as 3 minutes of Curb Your Enthusiasm. But the actors are a lot better looking.

22. Danny Duberstein

Danny Duberstein Forum Resident

Well that’s just like your opinion, man. I like Curb also (username is a giveaway) but so different to Succession there’s not much point in comparing the two.

23. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

https://twitter.com/mediaredef/status/1473696840558252040?s=21

Apparently, people with excessive disposable incomes are unable to see that Kendall is a douche :laugh:

Edit: I guess I didn’t embed that link correctly. So you don’t have to click, it’s a WSJ article about how Kendall’s look has sparked a demand for “status baseball caps” :rolleyes:

24. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

I know it’s supposed to be funny in parts, but I can barely manage a snicker. It’s too real/close to the bone. I had the same feeling recently when I watched ‘Don’t Look Up.’

25. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

They used to say: "It's funny 'coz it's true."
    I guess now, it's "It's not funny, 'coz it's true."

blind_melon1 likes this.