HBO' s "Succession" Any Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Jun 14, 2018.

1. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

Greg is on the new (SB56) commercial for uber eats

Sporus is moving already up

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I seem to recall there was a buzz about why America, in general, prefer Yellowstone to Succession. I enjoy both shows!;)

3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

4. MikaelaArsenault

5. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

So…he fits right in with Logan’s kids, then.

Humbuster and trd like this.
  6. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

x2. My favorite show is Peep Show

Hammerhead and proedros like this.
  7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

At least someone agrees with me:

Gus Tomato likes this.
  8. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

yeah everyone into smart and funny as hell comedy should watch it - this show is a comedy masterpiece , so many scenes come to mind

the magic healing crystals scene
    the pissing in the church scene
    mark being sick in the toilet scene
    mark going to a rave club with sophie

really this show is the funniest tv show i have ever seen and i have seen quite a few

Chief likes this.
  9. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I'm at episode 5 of series one and I like it! The interesting premise is that I can't find a single likeable character, and all bad things they do to each other are fine by me...

Luckless Pedestrian likes this.
  10. Hooodo Man

Hooodo Man Forum Resident

and the strangely compelling thing about the series is you most likely won't find any character likable for more than a moment. Each goes through an arc where they become worse than each other and yet it's totally absorbing, almost as much as they are self-absorbed.

OldSoul and robertawillisjr like this.
  11. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I've decided to watch this season to the end...and it's a strange beast!
    On the one hand it's a fine cast; a lot of typecasting, but the storylines are quite good and keep me sort of interesting.

The biggest flaw (so far, but I don't see it happening soon) is the fact that there's no character development at all! Greg is an irritating dumb guy and he pretty much stays that way. Tom is an unlike-able twat with a huge ego and a tendency to bully (esp. Greg). Rome is the sociopath..... An evolving character would have made this series so much nicer.
    But I have never seen a series of which I don't really care who 'wins' or loses. I just hope the whole family goes bankrupt and end up homeless.

12. Right on. I took out a trial subscription to AMC+ to watch S6 of Better Call Saul and have been looking for other great shows to justify keeping the subscription going. Watched 3 episodes of Rubicon and half of Gangs of London S1 and got bored and gave up on both. Last night started watching HACF and was knocked out by the great writing and acting. Very similar to Mad Men which I absolutely loved. I'm down now to binge watch all 4 seasons this coming week.

Did someone say HACF is on Netflix as well (like BCS S1-5)?

Any other really top notch shows on AMC I should look at? I've been spoiled by the excellent character writing and cinematography of BCS & BB and can't find the patience to slog through mediocre series with shallow characters and lazy unimaginative directing.

Dayfold, proedros and TurtleIsland like this.
  13. MikaelaArsenault

14. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Bring on season 4! Hope it wraps and airs soon. I just finished rewatching season 3 and that ending hit just the right note with Tom's betrayal of Shiv.

The Roy family is officially back in production. HBO has announced that “Succession” Season 4 is now filming. The new season will consist of 10 episodes, up one installment from the 9-episode third season. The first two seasons of “Succession” also ran for 10 episodes each. Cast members Brian Cox, Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook, Kieran Culkin, Alan Ruck, Matthew Macfadyen, Nicholas Braun and J. Smith-Cameron are all returning for Season 4.

The official synopsis for “Succession” Season 4 reads: “In the 10-episode season four, the sale of media conglomerate Waystar Royco to tech visionary Lukas Matsson moves ever closer. The prospect of this seismic sale provokes existential angst and familial division among the Roys as they anticipate what their lives will look like once the deal is completed. A power struggle ensues as the family weighs up a future where their cultural and political weight is severely curtailed.”

'Succession' Season 4: 10 Episodes, Plot Synopsis - Variety

15. MikaelaArsenault

16. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

S'funny, awhile back I read an article about how Succession doesn't capture the public's fancy the way Yellowstone has! Go figure!;)

17. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Two threads in which you're mad about Yellowstone now. Sorry your favorite show got snubbed, but that's how it goes.

On this site, it appears Succession gets way more people talking. I rarely hear anyone talk about Yellowstone. I saw people on multiple platforms rave about this last season of Succession, though.

Why do you keep bringing up that show here? Your only two posts in this long-running thread are about how Yellowstone is more popular. They're likely just popular amongst different groups of people. I don't see where the comparison would even be made.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  18. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I seemed to have touched a nerve, sorry! I love Succession BTW! I thought ALL opinions were welcome in 'this site'?? Guess not.

19. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

It's the fact that your two contributions to this thread are just, "Yellowstone seems to be America's favorite show right now" that rubs the wrong way. I fail to see how the shows are connected enough to warrant any mention of Yellowstone here, that's all. It seems like borderline threadcrapping.

Is Yellowstone a comedy-drama/dramedy? Sounds like a western soap. I just don't get the connection. And you basically said the exact same thing in the Emmy thread yesterday (where it makes sense), so why post it here as well? Is it just the fact that Succession is leading nominations, so you feel like it stole spots that could've gone to Yellowstone?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  20. MikaelaArsenault

21. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

What is scandalous is that BETTER CALL SAUL got all the nominations throughout the years and no Emmys, not a single one !!!

22. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

OldSoul and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  23. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

Awards are stupid, be they grammies, emmies, oscars, and especially the R&R HOF. Its all political and based on connections.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  24. DonNylon

DonNylon Forum Resident

I thought Ozark and Euphoria would have a shot but seeing all the media, memes, and other coverage of Succession I think it was a natural winner. Honestly...still need to watch Saul as I've planned on it, just haven't yet, but a stacked roster this year for sure.
    I know Succession is set to release the 4th season but does anyone know when? Online says "late 22, early 23"

25. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I've been binging HBO's Industry. Anyone that enjoys Succession would definitely enjoy Industry. Smart, well-acted, and a bit raunchy. Good stuff!