HBO' s "Succession" Any Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Jun 14, 2018.

1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Nicholas Braun in Succession Season 4

2. MikaelaArsenault

Nicholas Braun's First Role

3. MikaelaArsenault

Nicholas Braun Talks Final Season Of 'Succession'

George P likes this.
  4. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Just started binging from S1E1 in anticipation of S4.

5. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

So season 4 is the last?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

Yes

MikaelaArsenault and Simon_LDT like this.
  7. MikaelaArsenault

8. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

While Logan finally getting ousted feels like the natural ending, his kids all being bumbling fools who all can't do of their own way messing it up once again almost feels like what will happen. They have shown time and time again that they are too selfish to all get on board with the same plan to take him down.

9. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Spoiler alert for those who haven't seen S3, but his kids were all onboard at the end to take down Logan. And Tom torpedoed it. The biggest draw for me now is to see how Shiv gets her revenge on Tom. If I don't see that it'll be a huge disappointment. Even worse if Tom ends up on top.

I think the story was originally designed to put Greg in control by the end because of the way he was set up in S1 as the outsider who couldn't even choose his own food, clothing and shelter.

I'd almost forgotten that the show basically starts with him failing to get a job at the theme park, being beaten by a bunch of kids and vomiting out the eye-holes of his outfit. But S2 and S3 did little to advance him as a potential leader.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  10. George Co-Stanza

Greg ending up at any level of importance or management at the company would be a serious LOL. He seems more there for comedic effect than anything.

As for Tom torpedoing them, that is on Shiv for even telling him their plan. Yeah, yeah, he's her husband, but it's an unconventional marriage and the distrust has been for a while with her and Tom, thus it was a blunder for her to tell anyone their plan. No one should have known about it until they executed it, which goes back to the siblings always find a way to make a fatal mistake to shoot themselves in the foot.

jpelg likes this.
  11. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

That's putting it mildly. Let's not forget Shiv's chilling nonchalance about the possibility of Tom doing prison time last season - Tom obviously didn't forget it!

12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Greg was smart enough to save some key documents that Tom ordered him to destroy from the cruise scandal, and his performance in front of the government committee--while hilarious as always--had a much better outcome than Tom's. Tom almost ended up in jail.

Good point. I think you're right that the kids would not take over because underneath it all they don't have that hunger or ruthlessness that an outsider would have. But I still think Greg might. It's still possible.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Brian Cox is on “Who’s Talking To Chris Wallace” and it’s very entertaining. HBO Max

14. MikaelaArsenault

Brian Cox Talks Succession's Final Season

George P likes this.
  15. MikaelaArsenault

16. MikaelaArsenault

17. George P

George P Notable Member

No one saw e1 s4?

I thought it was good, not great but good.

GregM, MikaelaArsenault and OldSoul like this.
  18. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

That was a great episode. I was laughing so much just because it reminded me of past corporate life. Logan Roy reminded me of a CFO we used to work for, may he rest in peace. I especially loved the snide remarks about bankers, making so much money for such little good advice. It will be a real bummer when this show ends.

19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I watched the episode and I decided to re-watch season 1, episode 1. It seemed like the same theme, business during his birthday. The episodes felt very similar although the season 1 ep. was a much better watch!

20. George Co-Stanza

Good episode. Can't wait to see how the three managed to screw this up after getting one over on Logan.

Also, I was late to the party on this show and thread, so not sure if it has been said already, but in the annals of all-time great television theme songs, Succession's is top tier. It's not only a great piece of music, but it fits the vibe of the show perfectly.

21. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Gotta agree -- such a great premiere for the final season.

The call between Kerry and the three kids was great writing and timing.

22. fspringer

fspringer Forum Resident

I suspect Logan will drag his feet over selling Waystar, thus depriving the three kids of the billions of dollars in cashout from that sale they need to close their new deal with the Pierce family.

As much as I enjoy this show, I'm sort of glad it's ending. These kinds of financial scenarios seem endless. Just when you think someone has bottomed out, the opportunity to have and spend a few hundred million or a few billion dollars suddenly materializes. Every season, it's something. You think it's over, and it's never over. Maybe that the point of being that rich? The only real way of losing seems to be turning into Connor and walking away from the eternal power struggle, which still seems like having access to unlimited wealth regardless of one's buffoonery.

The Tom/Shiv angle seems really interesting this season. I would have thought she'd have completely checked out of the marriage, but it was made clear in this episode she hasn't. I am curious to see how the tangle of characters we've seen before come into play in this end game.

MikaelaArsenault and OldSoul like this.
  23. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I enjoyed it. Still never seems to move forward, just cover the same old ground. I was most looking forward to S4 E1 to see where they chose to land on the Shiv/Tom situation. Both of them are egocentric, conniving, and power hungry, so I thought it would be a long time before they could have moments like we see at the end of the episode. It felt like a lot of ups and downs would have needed to happen since Tom backstabbed Shiv to get to that point, and instead we just get some references to Tom dating models and Shiv wanting a divorce. That was not the immediate direction they seemed to be taking when S3 ended.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
  24. MikaelaArsenault

Kieran Culkin on Succession's Final Season, Who Almost Played Roman Roy and SNL

25. MikaelaArsenault

Brian Cox Shows a Clip of His MasterClass on Method Acting; Talks Succession's Final Season