HBO' s "Succession" Any Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Jun 14, 2018.

1. JCM800

JCM800 Forum Resident

There's also probably some writerly notion of using the cut/stiches/bleeding as a way to symbolize that Roman's performance at the funeral left him wounded (no one will ever take him seriously after that). Because it's on his face, everyone can see it but him which tracks with some of his comments about still being in the game. Kendall opens it up to further so there's no way anyone misses it. Or maybe to make sure Roman gets the message, "You're done."

2. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

In hindsight, that really is when Kendall starts to unravel. Up until that point I really thought he had it together enough to pull it off, but Shiv really pushed him over the edge.
    It came as no surprise that by the time that they re-entered the board room, it was all over.

JCM800 and Big Blue like this.
  3. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Very unfair! :realmad:

4. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Let's not forget the spite factor as well. Heck, she was practically laughing in Ken's face when they all first got to their mom's about how she won and he lost and that he needed to get over it. And once the script was flipped and she realized she was out, she acted like a child (or like Roman always does). We all knew Roman was an immature man-child before Sunday, but Ken and Shiv both showed themselves to be despicable human being as well. Not like we didn't know it already, but between Shiv's tantrums and Ken's treatment of Roman, it was a stark reminder of why it is good that neither "won."

enro99, Lars Medley, Big Blue and 3 others like this.
  5. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

It was all spite and payback: if I can’t have it, neither can you.

I’ve seen a lot of comments elsewhere questioning how people could watch this show about nasty rich people and so forth. To me this show was worthwhile watching because it was about people relating to each other, trying to express their emotions and trying to make their way in the world; these people just happened to be wealthy and powerful. If you just wanted to watch rich people acting nasty there was always Dallas and Dynasty, shows that were mildly amusing.

Big Blue likes this.
  6. George P

George P Notable Member

7. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Yeah. I feel like the show pretty carefully and deliberately brought out the ugliest in each of them this season, as starkly as possible; more or less telegraphing (IMO) that none of them was going to get a happy ending.

ekkinak and OldSoul like this.
  8. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Yeah. It was about plotting, not plot.

9. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

I love the fact that Shiv's denigration of Tom propelled him to the position she so much wanted...

Mom always said, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." :D

Big Blue likes this.
  10. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

The three of them are all small, petty, spiteful children. Roman and Connor have a modicum of humanity, but Ken and Shiv are objectively terrible people.

And not a one of them are the least bit smart. Nearly everything they all say is an indecipherable word salad of buzzwords and couched language.

enro99, brownie61, Bhobb and 4 others like this.
  11. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

Logan forgot Adlai in his poem?

Lars Medley and G L Tirebiter like this.
  12. 7solqs4iago

shiv gave a concerned sideways glance when Roman wiped the Kendall sadistic torture-reopened stitches in the board room,

the feet planted on the desk, the silly and profane chitchat with Stewie and the paving over of the protocol prior to the vote showed how unsuitable he was, alas...

watched the last 30 minutes for a second time last night, well worth it

now on to the next show to keep me enthused... hopefully

Big Blue and Frank Discussion like this.
  13. 7solqs4iago

Shiv did break into a good role away from the family for political and PR advising, Roman came forward and got sent to Business Exec Class 101 for a little while

Big Blue likes this.
  14. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

Would either of them done those things without their last name?

7solqs4iago likes this.
  15. 7solqs4iago

That's life... i can crunch the numbers for people like this, that's my humble role in life :D

Roman summed it all up with his BS statement just before Queen Shiv gave the thumbs down vote

Will they ever talk to each other again?

Big Blue likes this.
  16. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

One aspect I was reminded of by watching the beginning of this series again: All three of these kids were off doing their own thing, primarily, before Logan had his 80th birthday party and his first stroke... It's almost as though they were gliding along enjoying (and abusing) their birth-wealth until these events unfolded. Then they, in earnest, got interested in Logan's "empire."

17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Not Kendall -- he's shown to be a leading figure in the company (if largely a representative of his father) when the show begins. And Roman has recently come from an unsuccessful stint running the company's Hollywood operations.

Big Blue likes this.
  18. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Kendall's a leading figure? IIRC, isn't Kendall just trying to acquire some media company and Kendall thinks he's got it all sewn up, but the owner of that company just thinks Kendall is a bit of a joke? Isn't it then revealed that Kendall had been previously out of it for a bit due to a drug problem?

OldSoul likes this.
  19. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Well I don't know how good a job he's doing, but he is clearly in some kind of major role with the company, under Logan's supervision. He's not doing his own thing. And he's acquiring another company, not doing some meaningless task.

Last edited: May 31, 2023
    Big Blue likes this.
  20. 7solqs4iago

prove that Kendall had gone off the deep end and that he had control over Roman

Kendall didn't display one second of CEO skills the whole time at HQ in the last half hour

Big Blue and seacliffe301 like this.
  21. 7solqs4iago

Kendall shot back at Matsson that he was already rich enough on the mountain top

the title and the power and something to do all week is important

Big Blue likes this.
  22. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

There's an episode in the 2nd season, when Geri was plotting with Roman, he asked her how she thought it would all play out. She told him that she didn't see any of the kids making the cut. It played out just like she thought.

23. 7solqs4iago

and in the end the election was of no concern to the kids

i expect there was going to be a season 5 to deal with it, but well... you know...

24. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Geez Louise...Shiv/Sarah looks about 17 in that still image.

George P likes this.
  25. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

Maybe 5 or 10 years from now they’ll do a follow up movie

trumpet sounds likes this.