HBO's The Last of Us from the Chernobyl producer and Neil Druckman (warning: spoilers)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GregM, Dec 24, 2022.

1. GregM

GregM The expanding man Thread Starter

It's the most wonderful time of the year, and soon comes January 15, 2023 when HBO premiers the post-apocalyptic The Last of Us.

This started as a PS3 game written and directed by Neil Druckman. It is probably my favorite game due to the emotional attachment that builds between the father figure, Joel, and the daughter figure, Ellie. And there's a lot to the story. However, the characters have changed significantly compared to the game. I don't really see Pedro Pascal as Joel or Bella Ramsey as Ellie, but I'll go along for the ride. HBO's Chernobyl had the right look and feel, so I'm hoping this can be properly recaptured, and Druckman can translate whatever inspired him to create such a meaningful game for what I hope will be an amazing multiseason show.

Smith likes this.
  2. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

3. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

4. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

Off to a great start ! I’m in for sure on this one

5. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

I caught the first half hour. What a great show.

6. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

7. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

First episode was really good. In for the long haul.

8. A strong start. I'm glad its on HBO, so no commercials (that helped kill the Walking Dead for me) and more realistic dialog and bigger budgets.

9. I'm guessing Invasion of the Mushroom People (Matanga) was a partial inspiration for this series and game.
    [​IMG]

Wolfschmidt, Scott57 and BwanaBob like this.
  10. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Most new shows don't interest me much, but as a pretty big fan of the games, I'm looking forward to this.

11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Reviews make this must see TV - 99% critics - 96% fans on RT

The Last of Us

12. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

never played the game before and I thought the first episode was really good. looking forward to more

13. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I'm in! I've never played the game, so I have no attachment there. I liked both the leads work in GOT and will watch Pedro in anything.

First episode is very promising.

14. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Good opening ep - very intense!

Plus, Anna Torv!

Blair G. likes this.
  15. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

So fun! It was on Creature Double Feature so often and I didn't mind.

Creature Double Feature - Wikipedia

Pete Puma likes this.
  16. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

17. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

I liked it better when it was called The Walking Dead. ;)

18. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

I've played the game and watching the first episode was like watching a rerun- but it's done very well

19. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

If she’s in it, I might have a look :).

Blair G. likes this.
  20. Did you miss AMC's 3 minute commercial break after 8 minutes of show content (rinse and repeat)? ;)

Mistermono and GeetarFreek like this.
  21. I enjoyed it. Nice built up wish they had released the first two episodes. Yes, it has some similarities with zombie series like “The Walking Dead” but even that wasn’t original with its roots in “Night of the Living Dead”.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  22. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Watched the first ep tonight and it’s a :righton: from all of us!

23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Watched Ep.1 last night a found it pretty boring. Same old zombie and dystopia stuff. So many cliché characters and the lead hunky guy is very dull and expressionless (rather like a video game character, ho ho). I suppose the problem is that it comes from a game that was already recycling what had already been done in cinema/TV, so we get recycled recycling.
    I'll watch the next episode to see if more interesting characters turn up but I can't see this series retaining my attention for long.

Old Fart At Play and unclefred like this.
  24. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I enjoyed the first part of Episode 1, but the 20-years-later part struggled to hold my interest. I’ll watch the next episode, but it will have to develop more of a plot for me to keep going with it. I like Pedro Pascal a lot, but I don’t think he alone can keep me watching.

I have no knowledge of the game.

Blair G., Daryl M and Purple Jim like this.
  25. Found it to be unremarkable.
    It was only one episode, but still double the length at ninety minutes or so.
    All the hoo-ha about this being televisions second coming seem a bit wide of the mark.
    I'll watch the second episode.

Blair G., bopdd and Purple Jim like this.