HD "HI-FI Vinyl Will Soon Be A Reality 3D Printing Technology

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AcidPunk15, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ARCCJ

ARCCJ Forum Resident

Heh I read this tripe a few months ago, ridiculous premise, and consider the source is coming from a 'digital' based web site, just the use of the word 'scratch' to describe the cutting of a master is totally dense.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  2. TheRavenPoe

TheRavenPoe Forum Resident

No thanks, I ready have Compact Discs and they're mostly terrible.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

If 3d-printed vinyl becomes a reality, at least it would cut down on the pressing defects. It seems these days I am returning a third of all my vinyl purchases to Amazon for pressing defects....

NOS300B, AcidPunk15 and Kristofa like this.
  4. Neta

Neta Forum Resident

waiting for some D2O (direct to OBJ) recordings

irender likes this.
  5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I lived in London from 1994 to 2010 and I don't recall record stores popping up all over the place in London during that time. What I do recall is record stores closing all over the place in London and that was happening even before 2008.

AcidPunk15 and sunspot42 like this.
  6. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

This is my interest in it as well. If they play on current technology and it can fix some errors we notice in current production, then I look forward to its development.

murphywmm likes this.
  7. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Viryl Technologies Warn Tone will Facilitate Vinyl Resurgence With Updated Pressing Technologies. Most pressing plants used machines from the 60s their is a new company producing pressing machines. Meet the Warm Tone, the Software-Controlled Vinyl-Pressing Beast Fueling the LP’s Comeback

murphywmm likes this.
  8. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Most of those closures were occurring while U.S. merchants were still testing the LP waters. The majority of closures were location churn. Of course there was retail tenant churn in the UK, especially as London commercial rents continued to rise and small vinyl mechants relocated to less expensive addresses outside central London (e.g., north to Dagenham, Enfield and Hackney among other places, and south to Bexley, Croydon, Greenwich as so on). But every four months on my regular trips to London from 1999 through this year, I watched vinyl generally continue to either increase or hold steady at retail with the exception of the toughest recessionary years and the last 18 months or so. I've seen some leveling too over the past three years without a doubt, but the UK remains as dense and strong a market for LPs, turntables, cartridges and everything related to LPs as any other place in the world.

During the past three years in particular, there's no doubt (as in other parts of Europe and in the U.S. and Canada) that a notable percentage of LP sales have moved online and away from shops. The point is that the UK - England in particular - was ahead of the U.S. with respect to the resurgence of interest in LPs.

McLover likes this.
  9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I don't think the majority of the closures were location turn though. I recall some stores closing and never appearing again, in Hackney, Dagenham or otherwise. Yes some stores did appear in more rent friendly places but then again that's pretty much a sign of how healthy it really is. Yes sales are up, but you need to pay very little rent to actually survive. I'm still surprised the handful of stores left in Soho have survived for as long as they have.

You're right, up until last year vinyl has been increasing. No question. Numbers show that. I'll be interested to see the new RIAA numbers for 2016 vs 2015 though. I think there's a good chance that growth has gone up but has started to slow.

I think the market is healthy but there's a lot of sales happening online and not in store. If more of that online business went in store, we'd have a lot more record stores :)

BTW in terms of pressing plants and new machines, there's already a plant in Burlington, Precision Record Pressing, up and running with 10 new machines (not from viryl though) with plans to add more next year if all goes well. They've been in operation for a couple of weeks and are pressing records and can do a larger scale. The first one they did was the new Tragically Hip record for Universal. There's been press but on the usually news channels rather than ones that audiophiles might be reading.

10. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

"...double the audio fidelity of a typical LP sold today."

I wonder what they mean by this, and how it could be quantified.

11. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

yah supposedly there are two new companies that produce new pressing machines.

12. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

Does this mean the 3d printers will soon be able to print records? I guess they’d be digitally sourced though.

anorak2 likes this.
  13. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

30% more volume: This affects what? The 1812 Overture and The Firebird Suite? Today’s music only has about 6db of range anyway

14. SquishySounds

Instead of an analog waveform it will have TWO analog waveforms

15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

HD HiFi Vinyl, I'll believe this when I can A and B compare it with copies I buy at random, at retail, on my own ears and system in my living quarters. It has to pass my strict standards, and pass me the Missouri test, which is called Show Me and the other tough one, "The Proof Is In The Listening" and it must be consistent from sample to sample and our membership must have a high rate of passing in the improvements. On a wide variety of systems here, and ears, and tastes. Put up or Shut up!

389 Tripower likes this.
  16. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Would rather just have a micro-chip implanted in my skull.
    /kthx

Madness likes this.
  17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Vinyl in many European countries never truly died off to a degree either. CD prices were very high, the European buyers also let their ears decide, and decided vinyl was better to their ears and tastes. So they kept vinyl alive when it was waning in the USA.

18. gov

gov Forum Resident

“Ice cream gloves”

19. SquishySounds

It’s been over a year since the article. Has anything been released on this super-format?

20. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

I'm intrigued.

21. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I need another copy of Pet Sounds!

389 Tripower likes this.
  22. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Soon to be followed by "HD Ready" everything from turntables to speaker stands. :buttkick:

eddiel likes this.
  23. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

A year has passed and I'm not sure the claimed production bottleneck really exist or that there is a demand from the market for a better sounding LP (whatever that is).

However, decreasing production cost and reducing defects sounds like something that could interest manufacturers looking to replace old pressing machines.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  24. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

The vinyl format was an anachronism when it was invented back in 1948. At that stage the entire recording process was already elecronic, and so was the playback hardware in most homes. The conversion into a mechanical signal and back is an unnecessary detour that degrades quality. In an ideal world the major music distribution format from the early 1950s onwards should have been one that kept the signal in electronic form end to end, and given the technology of the day that means magnetic tape - reel to reel of course, not cassette. I guess the main reason why the industry went for vinyl anyway is that it's cheaper to mass produce than tape, but the fidelity is lower. No point to invest in the development of that format 70 years down the line.

Completely avoiding the digital vs analogue debate for a moment, but surely analogue purists will have to reject a 3D printed record anyhow, because in order to make one the music has to be digitised by definition.

25. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I've always been surprised that old RCA giant cassette system from the '50s wasn't more of a success - kind of a proto-Elcaset. Techmoan had a great video on it:

Damien DiAngelo, DPM and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.